Watchtime Magazine review of new Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Watchtime Magazine review of new Explorer

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
I cant link to the article, was in the magazine but doesnt appear to be on the website.

I am a collector of watches and this magazine also reviews vehicles, cigars and pens.

The reviewer of the vehicles is a high end guy, owns expensive stuff, he was very impressed with the new Explorer and said that he has never been interested in owning an SUV, until now...

Wow!

He explained that the old Exp was built on a truck chassis, the new one is on a private passenger chassis, and the interior, handling, etc., all fantastic.

Good to know...I ordered one without moonroof, then changed my mind and now told them i need one with a moonroof so who knows how long that will take...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He explained that the old Exp was built on a truck chassis, the new one is on a private passenger chassis, and the interior, handling, etc., all fantastic.

The two most important things on the X was the rear wheel drive with four wheel on demand and the truck chassis it was built on.

The 2011 X is a unit body and front wheel drive, neither of which is desirable to me. As far as I am concerned the new X isn't an X at all, it is just another poser of an SUV.

The X is dead, long live the X.

The X is dead, long live the X.

Out w/ the old.. in w/ the new ;)

Your comment is like saying that the iPhone 4 because it has a glass back and is slimmer than the original iphone, is not an iPhone at all. It's just not very insightful. The sales on the explorer were failing, and a new vision was brought forth to save the dying line. It may not be your cup of tea, but is what Ford is offering as the Explorer.

I am not saying it won't sell, I'm sure it will, but it is not an X in the true sense of the word as far as I'm concerned. Ford set the mark for SUV's and it wasn't unit bodies and front wheel drive.

I detest front wheel drive, if that was what I wanted I would drive a car with it that got much better gas mileage. And just to set the record straight I had front wheel drive when I lived in the midwest. It was not better in the ice and snow.

Out w/ the old.. in w/ the new ;)

Your comment is like saying that the iPhone 4 because it has a glass back and is slimmer than the original iphone, is not an iPhone at all. It's just not very insightful. The sales on the explorer were failing, and a new vision was brought forth to save the dying line. It may not be your cup of tea, but is what Ford is offering as the Explorer.

wonder why no hybrid, i woulda loved that option

Out It may not be your cup of tea, but is what Ford is offering as the Explorer.

I knew I would start a war with that post, but that is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.LOL If you are happy with it then by all means buy it. It is not my cup of tea.

And as far as Iphones go I don't own one or want one.:) I have a simple cell phone that we use primarily on trips and just buy minutes on. Works for me.

I knew I would start a war with that post, but that is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.LOL If you are happy with it then by all means buy it. It is not my cup of tea.

And as far as Iphones go I don't own one or want one.:) I have a simple cell phone that we use primarily on trips and just buy minutes on. Works for me.

No war... just a quick observation... "it works for me" is the attitude that seems to drive the argument that "the new x isn't an x" =P If the new explorer is not for you, and you detest everything about it, why are you in the forum that is specifically targeted at the new explorer.

Second.. You obviously don't care about technology, advancements, or enhancement with your "it works for me" statement as well. There's a reason that there are now more smart phones in use than there are "simple cell phones". They increase productivity, access to information, and ability to communicate and steer through day to day tasks. The "new explorer" tends to accomplish some of the same goals.. so again.. Out with the old, and In with the new ;)

Never let go though! We can all admire your dedication :)

Personally, I am trying to support American companies.

As a strong and proud supporter of American business, unions, etc., I believe that if we practiced a little protectionism, it could go a very long way...

Ford seems to be doing everything they can to build quality vehicles. My wife drives a BMW, but I am going to drive a Ford...

good for me :thumbsup:

If the new explorer is not for you, and you detest everything about it, why are you in the forum that is specifically targeted at the new explorer.

Never let go though! We can all admire your dedication :)

Why am I on this forum? Just to point out the new X does not rise to the bar Ford set for it. Since we are discussing a review of it it seems to me all opinions should be welcome and discussed.

If Bluetooth and on board nav makes your day you will be happy with it. I want a vehicle that does what a vehicle should, get you from point A to point B. That is the the point of it isn't it. I don't need to be watching DVD's while driving or anything else that takes my mind of of driving.

No I don't use speed control either, I get better mileage without it.

Really though, they shouldn't have kicked RWD out. Atleast make the SUV with AWD atleast RWD or allow us an option to choose. I do go with motortrends review though because the Explorer isn't sporty enough like its predecessors to fit the S in (S)UV.

Why am I on this forum? Just to point out the new X does not rise to the bar Ford set for it.

so in other words your an arrogant troll who wants to argue about how bad a car that you've never driven is, when in reality, sales and current production orders confirm that it's outpacing it's predecessor that you argue is far superior (and on a 2011 discussion group none-the-less).

You're somehow implying that because it's nothing like the old ex, that it's somehow less important or irrelevant. There are equally as many arguments for why the old ex was a failure, and why it has been replaced by a superior version. Go back to your own forum category if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation.

We all agree, it's a completely different vehicle, some of for better, some for worse. It's not for you, we get the point, but there's no need to put it down as a great, relevant, and safe vehicle that serves the crowd it's being marketed to.

Your original reply called it "another poser of an SUV" and your following reply states "I knew it would start a war saying that". If you knew that you were starting a unquestionably time wasting argument that makes you the definition of a troll. You're in the wrong forum.

You're kind of a tool

If it wasn't for the complete redesign, I wouldn't be here. An Explorer was literally last on my list... actually it wasn't even on my radar. But after I saw one and learned about the complete redesign, I bought one. Looking at the sales data, there's more people like me than there are die hard old explorer fans who are upset with it not being a traditional explorer.

So, 1995E...given you're completely down with the slightly suspicious Motortrend review (did you notice the MPG they reported on their tests...exactly what kind of driving were they doing with these big, heavy, vehicles??) I assume you'll be immediately selling your Explorer and instead buying the totally awesome Mazda CX-9? :)

If it wasn't for the complete redesign, I wouldn't be here. An Explorer was literally last on my list... actually it wasn't even on my radar. But after I saw one and learned about the complete redesign, I bought one. Looking at the sales data, there's more people like me than there are die hard old explorer fans who are upset with it not being a traditional explorer.[/QUOTE

I have to agree I had no interest in the previous Explorers because of the poor MPG. I went with a full size since they were withing 1-2 MPG.

If it wasn't for the complete redesign, I wouldn't be here. An Explorer was literally last on my list... actually it wasn't even on my radar. But after I saw one and learned about the complete redesign, I bought one. Looking at the sales data, there's more people like me than there are die hard old explorer fans who are upset with it not being a traditional explorer.

I agree. I went to the Detroit Auto Show to look at my long list of cars to choose from, didn't have an explorer on the list. Checked out each vehicle that would have met my needs, then saw the Explorer. It blew the competion out of the water and completely changed my mind, now I just wish mine would get here. (The waiting has been the only bad experience!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto, if it weren't for the entirely new design, I would now be driving an Acadia or possibly, but less likely due to space, an Acura MDX.

Back