Water Leak | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The vendors that are forum members are listed under the Vendors tab near the top left of the page. I'm guess that you may be referring to Benny of Levittown Ford Super Center.

Peter

Thanks! I knew it was there somewhere, missed it earlier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first picture is the new roof seam patch under the rack. Masked off the edges and dug out the old sealer, scuffed up the surface with steel wool and wrapped a layer of masking tape on the original bolt leaving a few threads exposed and threaded it in up to the tape, filled the opening and smoothed it flat then removed the bolt and the tape right away and let it self level(the bolt hole is covered because I skimmed it over with weather strip adhesive after a few hours). I would wait at least 4-5 days for the sealer to cure before reinstalling the rack using new foam pads from Ford or using foam tape or maybe RTV around the threads. There are 10 holes in the roof in total and 2 more for the front trim strips and usually but not always leak towards the side windows and down depending how its parked.

The second/third picture is the left side of the hatch hinge with it opened. ( The 3rd picture is the right side hinge

top left is the corner of the roof where it cracked ( #2 in third picture)

middle left is the rubber plug (#3 in the 3rd picture)

bottom left is the seam where it joins the hatch weather strip (#4 3rd picture)

top right is the crack on the inside of the hinge area (#1 3rd picture)

The last picture is the close up of the hinge area, the sealer just came up in chunks and over 90% of it wasn't even near the edge of the sheet metal, like it wasn't even sticking. The scuff marks are from steel wool just before I sealed it. This is one of the main areas that makes the seat belt wet along with the cracks at the top corners of the roof

I would also go over the washer nozzle and wiring harness grommet by removing them and applying weather strip adhesive or silicone rtv before installing. Make sure all the old debris and water is removed with brake clean/solvent and compressed air before applying any adhesive :D

Does anyone know if the hinge areas also crack near the other side of the hinge since mine didn't show any signs of cracking yet. I also removed the hatch spoiler to access the roof easier but isn't necessary and will require you to use new clips, if the rubber spoiler strip gets in the way you can place a piece of folded cardboard under it to lift it away from the glue area when repairing the hinge area cracks.

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 404
  • roof4.jpg
    roof4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 391
  • roof3.jpg
    roof3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 407
  • roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 379

The water is still entering but mostly just puddles on the inner roof surface where the 2 panels meet near the top of the 3rd row roof belt area and I would never notice it if I didn't have the trim removed for the seat belt retractors. Instead of trying to pin point where it entered like before I soaped the entire roof and hatch jamb area with a spray bottle. To start I went behind the rear 1/4trim on the left and right side where the vents are (they're the ones that release pressure when you slam the doors so they don't pop back open) and blocked both with a large plastic bag bunched up. Set the blower motor fan to full HI and make sure recirculate mode is NOT on and close all the windows and doors not locking your keys in (this pressurizes the interior). I had the rear spoiler removed to make it easier to see and MAKE SURE the holes are taped up that it left open. **You might want to try it without blocking the vents first with the blower motor on low for a few minutes then switch to medium then hi.

After a few minutes I found nothing but ran my hand over ever seam and it made huge bubbles from the seam sealer especially where the roof dips down, it never bubbled before I did this because the air rushing out was so great it never gave the soap a chance to form any bubbles ( that's why I recommend to try it without blocking the vents first and fan on low), I could actually feel the air blowing on my hand:eek:.

Don't waste your time on the hatch area and just redo it all !! :mad:

The picture attached is the top of the roof with the spoiler removed (you can see the roof antenna on the top right and the red thing is a trouble light). Have fun :salute:

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 353

*** Water leaking from passenger side through "O Sh*t" handle ***

All,

Has anyone had an issue with water leaking from the roof (I don't think its related to the sunroof, but more so to the outer windshield gaskets)? I found a lot of water on the front passenger floor and saw that water was dripping from the O Sh*t handle and associated molding on the right side angled windshield support. Any assistance would be great. I will be bringing it to Ford in a few days for a checkup.:mad:

All,

Has anyone had an issue with water leaking from the roof (I don't think its related to the sunroof, but more so to the outer windshield gaskets)? I found a lot of water on the front passenger floor and saw that water was dripping from the O Sh*t handle and associated molding on the right side angled windshield support. Any assistance would be great. I will be bringing it to Ford in a few days for a checkup.:mad:
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I have merged your thread with t his existing one on water leaks.

Peter

All,

It is usually a clogged or detached drain tube for the moonroof when it comes in through the passenger front.

Water Leaking AGAIN in interior cabin - Right Rear Seatbelt Assembly

I posted originally about the interior water leak on my 2012 Explorer on this forum approximately February 2015. Ford Corp paid for half of the repair & my dealer paid for the other half - even though I was over the 3/36. Water was presenting from my right rear seatbelt assembly into the rear hatch area of my truck. I never got the estimate from this repair in February. but I know it was begining to show signs of rust and they did do some painting inside the track of the hatch area. I'm in Florida and its been torrential rains these past few days & my rear hatch is completely soaked AGAIN. I could literally see water running down on the same seatbelt assembly today. I called Ford Corporate & my dealer and am bringing my truck back in Monday morning. It should be covered under the warranty for the repair done in late February. I'll post back about what happens.

I.Cant.Even.

Hopefully they take care of it for you but as an fyi, if a repair is done that is not customer pay, there is no warranty on the repair (outside the standard bumper to bumper or power train coverage) Now obviously if you notice the next day or so that it didn't get fixed that is a different story but there is no coverage per say.

Only if a repair is 100% customer pay outside of warranty don you get a warranty on the repair.

Be sure to update us on what happens.

Me too!!!

I can be added to the leaky explorer list. My bought new 2011 has small rivers running down both third row seatbelts. I have already resealed the roofrack rails, but it is just seaping through the cracked seams in the paint and the pinch points in the rear. Since I'm well out of the 3/36 I'm likely just going to suck it up until summer when it dries out enough, then I can slather all of the joints with silicone. It's ridiculous though and my wife (whose car it is) is seriously pissed.

2015 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD Sunroof Leak

Bought the Explorer Aug 2015. Took it north Nov 21....returned back to Florida Jan 2nd.....getting ready to come home found the passenger side floorboard full of water. Strange, it rained many times before Jan. And didn't notice any leaks. Got to ford dealership in Ft Pierce Florida Jan 4. They indicated the factory didn't install the drain tube properly. Why it didn't leak until Jan. Is unknown to me....but it seems fixed....we've had some heavy rains and it's still dry.

Help!

I know this is an old post, but I am hoping to get some help with my water problem. I have standing water / saturated carpet on the passenger, 2nd row floor. After much searching, I believe it is possibly one of the sunroof drains causing the problem...can anyone tell me how to access the bottom of the drain to check? My Sport is CPO w/ extended Ford warranty, I have had it less than 60 days, but the local dealer is saying min $250, up to $2500 to chase a water leak! I am hoping there is a way I can check these drains myself before taking it in...

I got my Explorer back today. They removed right roof rack & resealed those - apparently water was coming in from there this time. They had my vehicle for 4 days - I was not charged for this repair.

water problem in CPO

If you have a CPO vehicle you should only have to pay the deductible for the warranty. It is either 50 or a 100 bucks cannot remember. I think it was 100 on my previous CPO expedition.. Sorry yes on my wifes bmw 335 it is 50.. on the ford it was 100..

Interior Water Leak - Right Rear Seatbelt Assembly

Just kidding - still raining in Florida - 2 days after I picked up my truck - water still raining inside my vehicle. Awesome - and back to the dealer again today.

Update 2/22/16 ~
Ford has had my 2012 Exp for the last 2 weeks. I've been in a rental & am picking up my truck tomorrow. Water was coming in from the roof rack screw holes that were rusted through. I could not figure out how to post images here or I would have shared. Maybe 3rd time's a charm?

I'm grateful to Ford Corp & my dealer for covering this expense.

2013 explorer

I am having the same issue as everyone here. So far my dealer has fixed the seams in the corners of the hatch and the seems by the hinges. They are using the soapy water and pressure method of finding the leak. It is really starting to irritate me with this leak. I am the second owner of this truck and I think the original owner was having this leak looked into as well. Now I am stuck with it. Thank god for extended warranties. I was wondering if anyone has found all the leaks and has had them repaired with success? I am worried about mold and mildew forming in my carpet and headliner. My dealer who subsequently I work for is being a good sport about it but even they are getting frustrated. Any help would be great.

I am having the same issue as everyone here. So far my dealer has fixed the seams in the corners of the hatch and the seems by the hinges. They are using the soapy water and pressure method of finding the leak. It is really starting to irritate me with this leak. I am the second owner of this truck and I think the original owner was having this leak looked into as well. Now I am stuck with it. Thank god for extended warranties. I was wondering if anyone has found all the leaks and has had them repaired with success? I am worried about mold and mildew forming in my carpet and headliner. My dealer who subsequently I work for is being a good sport about it but even they are getting frustrated. Any help would be great.

Just an FYI, Ford ESPs do not cover water leaks and if you have a 3rd party warranty, I would read the paperwork thoroughly because I doubt they cover water leaks as well.

"Components and Repairs
Not Covered by PremiumCARE
Buttons, carpet, clamps, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs, trim, upholstery, CNG/LPG components, tires, water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners"

They did. It falls under manufacture defect. Cracks in the seem sealer that ford used falls under the manufactures defect clause.

# 1 is it leaking from driver side (left side) or the right side?

#2 is it wet under the floor mats in the first or second row seating, if so left or right side?

#3 is the ceiling wet, left or right side

#4 is it entering from the 3rd row seat belts?

The soap method doesn't work at the rear corners since the exit hole between the sheet metal is probably large enough to stick your finger in if you could access it, so it doesn't pressurize and bubbles wont form unless you use compressed air from the outside, not saying this is where the problem is though, could be. Please take a picture of the rear corners of the vehicle with the hatch open if you can

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They did. It falls under manufacture defect. Cracks in the seem sealer that ford used falls under the manufactures defect clause.
You are fortunate then since the ESP specifically says water leaks are NOT covered.

Peter

Back