water pump help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

water pump help

v897xlt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT AWD v8 5.o
so it looks like i need to replace my water pump, its whining really bad. and it is NOT the power steering. nor is it the alternator bearing going bad. autozone said it was the bearing in my alternator, and went ahead and replaced it n the belt yesterday.... well that didnt fix the whine, and after more listening and looking, it is my water pump. so besides just the pump, is there anything else that needs to be replaced while in there? and any tips or tricks? THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go ahead and take the radiator out, and the grill too. It will give you much better access and the time used to remove them will be earned back in time saved.

I have seen alot of the lower idler pulley and tensioner pulleys go bad on the 5.0L motors. They are both on the pass side lower part of the engine.

I have seen alot of the lower idler pulley and tensioner pulleys go bad on the 5.0L motors. They are both on the pass side lower part of the engine.

well this weekend, the project is too, weld up a hitch, flush rear diff, flush transfer case, and check to see if the whine is still there after removing the serpentine belt....:rolleyes: and hunt all Saturday, and go to church Sunday, all while keeping up with any yards that need mowing :D fun weekend approaching!

For one, I would replace all the belts and hoses. While you're in there, the pulleys don't seem like such a bad idea. I did the thermostat and housing too. On my car, I went with a lower temp thermostat. You might also want to consider a new radiator, and an electric fan. Installing a cold air intake is also an option since you will have to remove the intake anyway. After all, it's an older car, and you don't always want to put old car parts back in. I went with a two row radiator for better cooling. If you really want to knock yourself out, you can also install an underdrive pulley.

to narrow it down you can take off the belt and free hand spin each pulley to see if its the one squeaking.if thats not it and you have a manual fan and clutch you can try wiggling it back and forth while its still bolted to the w/p pulley ( sometimes if the bearing in the w/p is bad enough there will be some play ) if you dont find the noise there try starting the engine with the belt off for a min and see if you still have a noise, if yes its not a belt, pulley prob

For one, I would replace all the belts and hoses. While you're in there, the pulleys don't seem like such a bad idea. I did the thermostat and housing too. On my car, I went with a lower temp thermostat. You might also want to consider a new radiator, and an electric fan. Installing a cold air intake is also an option since you will have to remove the intake anyway. After all, it's an older car, and you don't always want to put old car parts back in. I went with a two row radiator for better cooling. If you really want to knock yourself out, you can also install an underdrive pulley.

my engine knocks and has almost 300,*** miles on it, im sorry but im not put a k & n on it .... i dont want to make the knock worse.... and in my case electric fan is not needed, and my radiator is perfect, except for my tranny rad. its got a few dents..... but any ways... lol right now my goal is just to keep the car running, i dont have a job only 17 ..... i will replace tranny and engine my self, when i get $1650. but right now im replacing things that will go on the next engine .... but for the moment a CAI will not do anything good on a engine on its last legs.... i have a land scaping biz, that pays for insurance , gas, and the small things right now.... done landscaping for the last few years, did aerating @ seed and thats some money i have now, now waiting for the snow to come around.... which means new tires, and then i will do TT lift and shackles :rolleyes:

thanks though... any other thoughts?

i will replace most / probably all the hoses when i put then new engine and tranny in there, it will be a lil easier to work with then...haha like i said right now i just want to keep the car runnin...ahhhhh that will be the day, when my money wont go into my X and insurance, tractor , lawnmower payments

You might find out that when you go to take off the hoses from the water pump, that some of them are so corroded that you will have to replace them. Watch out for the two smaller ones on the top passenger side that go to the thermostat and the heater core. Mine were so bad that I had to cut & peel them off with my Buck knife and a pair of Irwin Vise Grips. At least put on a new belt since those are cheap enough and not worth the savings when the old belt snaps.

You might find out that when you go to take off the hoses from the water pump, that some of them are so corroded that you will have to replace them. Watch out for the two smaller ones on the top passenger side that go to the thermostat and the heater core. Mine were so bad that I had to cut & peel them off with my Buck knife and a pair of Irwin Vise Grips. At least put on a new belt since those are cheap enough and not worth the savings when the old belt snaps.

ya i replaced the belt, and alternator over last weekend...ight ill look at them hoses! thanks!

Back