Water Pump Squeak From Bolt Not Tightening | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump Squeak From Bolt Not Tightening

JusTheUsual

Reaction score
City, State
Central NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
So I cant stand the squeak anymore of the water pump. One of the bottom bolts just wont tighten down completely. It tightens to a certain degree then spins freely again and the cycle continues. It's just enough to make it drip antifreeze but not a lot, like I can go a week without putting any antifreeze in then its only like half a quart or so down. So water pumps squeaks because of that loss of pressure from that one bolt allowing antifreeze to drip a little.

When I first replaced original water pump when I took out that one bolt, like a piece of the block came with it at the end of the bolt, not the head where you put the socket or wrench but on tip deep in the block. I ignored it and put new pump on and when I started engine after a minute like the whole seal broke and antifreeze gushed out the bottom. I got another new water pump and put more sealant on and let it sit over night before starting it and this is where I am now a couple years later and that squeak is just too much.

I've talked to a couple people about that helix thing, one said you would have to drill but I said a piece of the block came out with bolt and another said he wouldn't dare drill in case of water jacket. Im lost and cant stand that squeak any longer. Im sure the people in traffic next to me cant either. Annoying too having people look at you hearing you coming down the road like WTH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at the linked thread, specifically Post 29.

It has a picture of what is damaged on your EX - the Timing Chain Cover.

That's what your water pump mounts to, and it can be replaced.

It isn't too hard but it is a lot of work.

Maybe that'll help you - Good luck!

LINK: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307250

NOTE: My engine is an OHV - Is that what you have?

If it's the SOHC engine I would just Helicoil that. There's no water jacket there, it's the timing case. So it's just empty space where oil and chains live.

I can see where one stripped bolt would cause a leak, but not why it would cause the w/p to squeak. Are you 100% it's the w/p that's squeaking and not something else? Is antifreeze getting on the serpentine belt?

In any event, replacing the timing cover is a fairly big job (lots of labor). Even removing the w/p to install a heli-coil is a pretty big job. If the w/p is the source of you squeak you may want to replace it too.

If you're just concerned with stopping the "small leak", there are other options.

I can see where one stripped bolt would cause a leak, but not why it would cause the w/p to squeak. Are you 100% it's the w/p that's squeaking and not something else? Is antifreeze getting on the serpentine belt?

In any event, replacing the timing cover is a fairly big job (lots of labor). Even removing the w/p to install a heli-coil is a pretty big job. If the w/p is the source of you squeak you may want to replace it too.

If you're just concerned with stopping the "small leak", there are other options.

Yeah its the water pump squeaking. When it broke free the 1st time(putting new one on and leaked) it squeaked. I guess if any pressure is lost it can cause the water pump to squeak.

I was going to suggest trying a longer bolt.
I've used that fix a few times.

Yeah now if I can remember which one at the bottom it was I will get a longer bolt and try that. Don't know how much it will help now after a couple years of everything being settled in place it might help, help some, or not at all because of length of settling. I just had no idea I could use a longer bolt because of block or timing cover and so on. Didn't want longer bolt to hit something. Also when I fill up the radiator full that's when it squeaks the most and loudest, when fluid goes down some sometimes its not as loud or constantly. The sound variants all the time

I never looked behind the timing cover...so, you guys are sure if I put a longer bolt in it wont hit like a gear or chain? It's one of the bottom bolts

I am not familiar with the V6 OHV engine, but would be very careful with bolts longer than OEM. Before trying something like that please measure the depth of the hole and make sure the bolt fits in there with something like 1/16" to spare. From your description it sounds like the stripped thread may be for one of the shorter bolts that secure the pump to the timing cover (not through the cover to the block). If you force a too long bolt there, you will punch through the aluminum and hit the timing gear or chain. Incidentally, the same may happen if you drill it to insert a helicoil.
And, as Koda said, the squeaking is probably a defective water pump bearing or a loose belt. A missing bolt won't cause squeaking.

I never looked behind the timing cover...so, you guys are sure if I put a longer bolt in it wont hit like a gear or chain? It's one of the bottom bolts

I am not familiar with the V6 OHV engine, but would be very careful with bolts longer than OEM. Before trying something like that please measure the depth of the hole and make sure the bolt fits in there with something like 1/16" to spare. From your description it sounds like the stripped thread may be for one of the shorter bolts that secure the pump to the timing cover (not through the cover to the block). If you force a too long bolt there, you will punch through the aluminum and hit the timing gear or chain. Incidentally, the same may happen if you drill it to insert a helicoil.
And, as Koda said, the squeaking is probably a defective water pump bearing or a loose belt. A missing bolt won't cause squeaking.

That's why I asked about the longer bolt. I wont put one in until I know for certain a longer bolt(one of the bottom ones) wont hit anything. I don't want to start up truck and well there goes the pulley or chain hitting it causing damage. I never looked behind the timing cover on this engine so I don't know.

Trust me, the water pump is fine, both new ones squeaked when the radiator fluid started leaking. That alone should tell ya its from the loss of pressure. The belt is new also and no fluid is getting on the belt. It has to be because of loss of pressure on water pump is making it squeak. Also when I fill up radiator that's when it squeaks the loudest and most. It varies on squeaks and decibels to the amount of radiator fluid in radiator

Back