Water Spots on the glass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water Spots on the glass

I need some advice on how to remove water spots from the (outside) glass. I bought my X used and it has had spots on the windows since I’ve had her. I’ve tried buffing with a light polishing compound, scraping with a razor knife, solvents, just about everything you could imagine.
I used to do detailing for a living and I’ve never seen anything like this. I have ALWAYS been able to get out water spots, but this is just impossible. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have found a 1:1 mix of white vingat and isopropol alchol to work on most spots.

Good luck....

Cleaning Spotted Glass
Some parts of the country are burdened with extremely hard water. Hard water is water that contains excessive trace elements including calcium, iron, lime, and other minerals found in streams and rivers. These trace elements remain on your glass when water from sprinklers or washing air dries. These hard water spots attach themselves to glass like white on rice. If left on your glass for very long, hard water spots will not wash off with shampooing or regular glass cleaners.

In my experience, there are only two ways to remove hard water spots. The first is to use distilled white vinegar. If your water spots are mild, you can dilute the vinegar 2:1 with water. Heavy spots may require pure vinegar. Either way, the vinegar will not harm you or your car. Vinegar is a very mild acid, which dissolves the alkaline-based mineral water deposits with ease.

If hard water spots are allowed to remain for more than a week or two, they may etch the glass. So, even though you have removed the minerals causing the water spots, the spots remain as damage to your glass. In these cases, it is necessary to polish the glass. Until recently, there were a number of glass polishes on the market. The two best products were Eagle One Glass Polish & RainX Glass Polish. However, both of these products have been discontinued due to little demand.

In my experience, any light (low abrasive) car polish that does not contain paint feeding oils will work as a good glass polish. Eagle One Scratch Remover is a good example of a polish that does not contain oils and works well on glass, as does P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer. There are two ways to use these polishes. The most gentle is to use an old t-shirt to polish the spotted area and buff to full luster. The second is to use the polish with #00 or finer synthetic steel wool to remove the spots then buff with an old t-shirt.

If your glass is heavily pitted, or mildly scratched, you can also use polish to restore the finish. In this case, it may be necessary to use a buffer in order to achieve the desired results. In some cases, the glass may be so deeply pitted, etched, or scratched that the inevitable must occur, you must replace the glass.

Copied from AUTOPIA

Thanks All

Thank you for all of the advice. i'll be trying these things this weekend to see what I can get out.

Again thanks for the advice.

I wash windows for a living and what I have found works best is a product called "A-MAZ" You just have to get the window really wet and rub this stuff on and then wash off with water. If that doesn't work the only other thing that will take them off is sulferic acid. I would highly recomend not useing it. If the littlest bit gets into your blood it will shut down your liver. Hope that helps.

HI I GOT A 2002 EXEB SAME SPOTS ON WINDOWS FIND A DETAILERS SUPPLY SHOP GO AND BUY A GLASS AND CROME POLISH AND FINE STEEL WOOL ITS COST 12$ BUT IT WORKS SPOTS ARE GONE AND WINDOWS LOOK LIKE GLASS LOL

Ford Motor Co Tech Tips for this

Ford issues a Tech Tips to all dealers on this subject.

Unfortunately, it is normally only available for reading on their dealer only website.

However, as a supplier to Ford, we are allowed to have tech tips from the site on our site.

To see what Ford says on this go to www.autoint.com and click on the OEM/TSB area, there are a number of these tips from Ford there.

Also, if you ever wished to see how a vehicle has the entire paint system applied by Ford and the others, go to the Tech Tips Section and there is a set of photos with explaination text provided by PPG.

Lots of good information in this area.

Ketch
:cool:

A General Motors tech bulletin similar to that one said to use a product called Bon Ami. It is a cleaning agent found at any grocery store in a bright gold can that looks like Comet. It is a really mild abrasive cleaner that is supposed to remove those spots. I just picked some up, but it has rained everyday here and I can get the opportunity to try it out. At least the cleaner was only $.67 so if it doesn't, I'm not out much money.

Bon Ami is a good cleanser to try, you can actually try normal paste toothpaste, that tends to work. Ajax, any of those powdered cleansers, just dont get any on the paint.

You could try a claybar too.

Back