Weird 5r55 Problem

slammed98z

Reaction score
City, State
Branson West, Missouri 65737
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 2DR
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 V-8 4x4

Symptoms: Ive been having this weird issue since i replaced the engine on my 02. The transmission has 20,000 miles on rebuild, shifted flawlessly and did not throw any codes before engine removal and rebuild. Now it is throwing a Shift Solonid B code, and the over drive light goes nuts. The flashing over-drive light is not the normal steady pace flash, It is very rapid. The transmission still shifts normally when it does this, Goes through all gears and goes into lockup. Sometimes it will throw the light and other times it wont. The truck does have a few SES codes also. They are : Crankshaft Position sensor Malfunction, Bank 1 Sensor 1 High voltage, and a P0300 Random missfire code. The transmission seams to hold the gears at Wide Open Throttle and the shifts are real soft, but under part throttle they are very crisp. I have had the transmission pan off and the fluid is full and new. The shift solonid pack is a replacement from when the trans was rebuild. I have had the PCM to trans harness out of the vehicle and stripped down, i cannot find any issues with the wiring.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I have seen bad solenoid packs cause this exact problem with the od flickering uncontrollably. P0775 solenoid B could also indicate a problem with the overdrive band or servo piston.

Back