Well it finally happened | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well it finally happened

Isn't anyone trying to reach you about the car's extended warranty that's about to expire? I get those notices all the time.
šŸ¤£ get those all the time, didnt even know the X had a warranty in 2022!!! heck soemtimes i wonder if that one guy with the van who always pull up is gonna ask about that warranty! (kidding)
Ā 

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a trade in, you will end up taking it in the shorts. Isn't anyone trying to reach you about the car's extended warranty that's about to expire? I get those notices all the time.
all the time. indeed.

I finally got tired of saying no...so I said yes.. give me a price. For some reason they couldnt help me
Ā 

As a trade in, you will end up taking it in the shorts. Isn't anyone trying to reach you about the car's extended warranty that's about to expire? I get those notices all the time.

I dont expect to get anything for it. But I took the car into CarMax several weeks ago and was surprised that they offered me $3500
Ā 

Can you post some pictures of it?
Ā 

I would check the 3.7 from an interceptor, someone in this forum did the upgrade, there are a few things to consider but could be an easy swap.
Ā 

.. I may have reached the end with this this car... My wife would rather I buy new car, rather than doing another timing chain and water pump on this one.

Me? Id rather pay a mechanic than pay the bank
You might want to add another post to Highest Mileage 5th Generation Explorer

Peter
Ā 

If you put in a used engine I would at least change out the water pump before its installed. Even if you buy the upsell warranty from the salvage yard they may not honor the warranty on the water pump if it fails even though is an internal component on this particular engine. The warranty may still consider it an external component and if they say they will cover it make sure you have it in writing.

On a side note 380,000 miles is awesome!
Ā 

Can you post some pictures of it?
As requested some pics of my 2011 limited
9E1CB472-5FAF-46B6-8E31-96E00882E0A3.jpeg
1A34480E-FA86-45E0-9154-C870F861B47F.jpeg
35A81B88-2B00-4ADD-BB1A-BAA380E9FAF9.jpeg
567866E1-AFD5-4BB9-986A-39842BA0EB00.jpeg
5B63255D-E655-41B0-9854-1CF3E4F7536C.jpeg
91BB5E62-133B-49BC-83F3-6440BDAADA55.jpeg
EE885D5C-0DB0-43E1-8247-7C02458288D5.jpeg
466A0CA8-9247-4B71-BECF-D57B9FFD311F.jpeg
5FCD7D2C-6B99-4F4F-B57D-CEDE07C3C232.jpeg
Ā 

Looks like sex on wheels. The body looks in extremely good condition for the mileage.
Ā 

looks really nice, i can tell youve taken care of it!!!! for >300k, looks sharp! looks better than most of the 5gs i see on the road here!
Ā 

install a used engine and the trans will go soon there after especially if you have new tires
I know that sounds strange but OH SO MANY times have I purchased a truck in these conditions
It seems that with high miles, when a used engine is installed....soon there after the high mile auto will let go
Im guessing something happens during the engine swap, mechanics not careful enough with the trans cooler lines? water gets in? debris? I am not sure.... but I have seen it enough times to know!!
When you consider a new used engine you need to first consider the condition of your auto trans, is it worth it?

Most of the trucks I get with either a new engine / bad trans or new trans now bad engine usually have brand new stinkin tires on them. No fooling! there is a connection
So if your mechanic is good and can keep water out of the trans cooler lines and can mate up and engine without damaging the auto trans, and your tires are not new, then go for it!

SOHC engines are plentiful!!!!

However if the noise is something simple, maybe just fix it in the truck? remove timing cover have a look see before pulling the power plant
I know you probably won't believe this BUT a really good trans shop sometimes also puts in new/used engines. Since they are a trans shop they know what they are doing!
Ā 

When you wear out an engine and think about putting another one in, remember the rest of the drive line work in tandem with that engine. So if the engine goes so does the transmission. If the truck has sentimental value for you put in a complete drive line together. Honestly I would not put a junk yard engine, nor trans in my vehicle unless I were rebuilding it. Buying used you have no idea of what you are getting. That my friend is truly a gamble.
Ā 

I started the car yesterday and there was a new noise. The car has 380000 miles on it and it was time to consider a new car or do the water pump/timing chain thing again. (last done at 200000 miles) and I had hoped to not have to make a decision until early next year but I gotta decide today.. or if not today very soon. I couldnt find the source of the noise...it seemed to come from everywhere.

I had installed a level detector on the coolant reservoir so I could catch a failed water pump before it damaged the engine I got no alarm from that, and there was no water on the ground. The coolant in fact was at the correct level, I checked the oil no obvious signs of water in the oil (no milkshake consistency) I put a hose against the oil pan (the other end in my ear) I and hear the sound of a fast fiowng stream So I assumed no problem in the bottom of the engine, and then stuck the end of the hose into oil fill hole and same thing, the sound of a babbling brook. So My best guess (worst case) was the timing chain was banging around So I drove it to the shop...(less than a mile)

Just got the call. The noise is as I suspected is coming from the timing chain area So Im looking at spending $2000+ or as the mechanic suggested a used engine (unknown $$) or a newer, used car .

I expected to have to make this decision sooner or later, just not now. And I know what happened is the best thing that could have happened,,,ie I have options. but damn, it couldnt have happened at a worse time for me

Im not asking for advice, although if you have any Im all ears.
Im just *****ing... Thanks for listening

Heres an update on what Ive been doing about my timing chain issue

Since my original post two weeks ago, Ive been shopping for a used car and Ive been talking to mechanics about fixing the old one.

Something comparable will cost $25000 (monthly payments for the rest of my life at between $400 and $500 per month).

Two shops told me that they dont have a technician qualified to do the work. the ford dealership wont do the work on a high mileage car and Im waiting on a price estimate from the 4th shop

Assuming he comes in at something under $2500, Im probably gonna get it fixed. Ill pay him to open it up and depending on what we see, pay him for the evaluation and then junk it, or go forward with fixing it

Complicating my decision is my unreasonable desire to get this thing to 500000 miles, just to say I did, and the fact that Ive driven over 1000 miles with the timing chain noise
Ā 

Heres an update on what Ive been doing about my timing chain issue

Since my original post two weeks ago, Ive been shopping for a used car and Ive been talking to mechanics about fixing the old one.

Something comparable will cost $25000 (monthly payments for the rest of my life at between $400 and $500 per month).

Two shops told me that they dont have a technician qualified to do the work. the ford dealership wont do the work on a high mileage car and Im waiting on a price estimate from the 4th shop

Assuming he comes in at something under $2500, Im probably gonna get it fixed. Ill pay him to open it up and depending on what we see, pay him for the evaluation and then junk it, or go forward with fixing it

Complicating my decision is my unreasonable desire to get this thing to 500000 miles, just to say I did, and the fact that Ive driven over 1000 miles with the timing chain noise
I hear you on not wanting payments going on for years! If you're still looking for another Explorer, how far have you expanded your search? There are still quite a few of them around the country...
Ā 

If you decide to junk it after it is opened up I'd be interested in it. I'd give you more $$$ than the junk man would.
Ā 

I started the car yesterday and there was a new noise. The car has 380000 miles on it and it was time to consider a new car or do the water pump/timing chain thing again. (last done at 200000 miles) and I had hoped to not have to make a decision until early next year but I gotta decide today.. or if not today very soon. I couldnt find the source of the noise...it seemed to come from everywhere.

I had installed a level detector on the coolant reservoir so I could catch a failed water pump before it damaged the engine I got no alarm from that, and there was no water on the ground. The coolant in fact was at the correct level, I checked the oil no obvious signs of water in the oil (no milkshake consistency) I put a hose against the oil pan (the other end in my ear) I and hear the sound of a fast fiowng stream So I assumed no problem in the bottom of the engine, and then stuck the end of the hose into oil fill hole and same thing, the sound of a babbling brook. So My best guess (worst case) was the timing chain was banging around So I drove it to the shop...(less than a mile)

Just got the call. The noise is as I suspected is coming from the timing chain area So Im looking at spending $2000+ or as the mechanic suggested a used engine (unknown $$) or a newer, used car .

I expected to have to make this decision sooner or later, just not now. And I know what happened is the best thing that could have happened,,,ie I have options. but damn, it couldnt have happened at a worse time for me

Im not asking for advice, although if you have any Im all ears.
Im just *****ing... Thanks for listening

Following up on my July 2022 post, quoted above.

The local Ford dealer wouldnt fix it, says it got too many miles and likely a lot more will be going bad before too long. The shop that replaced the timing chain and water pump at 200000 miles, couldnt do the work because they had fired the one mechanic they had that could do the work (showed up drunk one too many times) and the local Firestone shop (the busiest in the country) couldnt get to it for several months And the local authorized Jasper (rebuilt engines) installer said Jasper wouldnt have one for me for 3 more months

So I decided to drive it till it died, and it did I bought a used Ford Fusion hybrid and I parked the Explorer behind the Jasper shop and told them I would save up the money for a Jasper engine

Flash forward to last week. Jasper wont have an engine for 3 more months, The shop that fired the drunk a year ago has a new guy, He cant find any re manufactured engines but he did find a used engine with 125000 miles. I bought it. and it was delivered today

I know I may be throwing good money after bad, but I like that car

IMG_1525.jpg

By the way... Im having them replace the water pump and timing chain before it goes in the car
Ā 

Replacing the water pump and timing set up is a very good idea , but while it's out of the vehicle have them pull 1 head and inspect the condition of it as well as the cylinders. If you have gone that far the additional work will be well worth it . Good insurance.
Ā 

Iā€™ll reinforce what Neptune suggested. Remove a valve cover to inspect and stick a bore scope down at least a few spark plug holes(youā€™ll be replacing them anyway, right?) to check cylinder condition before any work is performed to the vehicle.

Just finding some sludge or discoloration inside isnā€™t a deal breaker, Do a few oil changes in succession with some engine cleaner to clean it out good. But finding scores cylinder walls is a deal breaker.
Ā 

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacing the water pump and timing set up is a very good idea , but while it's out of the vehicle have them pull 1 head and inspect the condition of it as well as the cylinders. If you have gone that far the additional work will be well worth it . Good insurance.
I should have said that My guy will be pulling the heads and looking at the top end too
Ā 

Back