What are these sections of the center console for? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are these sections of the center console for?

Can you drift with AWD, like the famous driver who died last year. I loved that old video of his 800hp AWD Mustang in the streets near Hollywood.
i dont see why you ant drift w/ awd? if im thinking of the right one yes loved all of block's videos. you have a lowered X right? :D:burnout::burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would it not spill out (The BIG Gulp) with the front end jacked up an extra 6"?

Would it not spill out (The BIG Gulp) with the front end jacked up an extra 6"?
sure hope, they needed to make that deeper and wider to accommodate drinks! or was thi fords way to curb weight gain? and reduce rollovers by keepign COG down?

They use a cable to the trans, and the one I saw on a site for 6R80 products look like a new factory shifter assembly(pretty, but $650).
Oof that's a pretty penny.

I don't know if this is like the one on the PA site for trans parts etc, but this is in 2016 F150. I see them used on eBay for $100 and up, some with cables or the boot and trim, some without. I might try to measure to fit that in the space of the cup holders on mine.

BTW, does anyone know what the shifter selections of M, 2, and 1 are? I'm assuming it's manual 1, 2, or shifting all with the +/- buttons.

2016 F150 shifter PRNDM21 pattern.jpg

I don't know if this is like the one on the PA site for trans parts etc, but this is in 2016 F150. I see them used on eBay for $100 and up, some with cables or the boot and trim, some without. I might try to measure to fit that in the space of the cup holders on mine.

BTW, does anyone know what the shifter selections of M, 2, 1n 1 are? I'm assuming it's manual 1, 2, or shifting all with the +/- buttons.

View attachment 440144
you sir are correct the M lets you go through all the gears with the +- and 1 and 2 are manual selections like in these explorers for the boat ramp and stuff

I found those used shifters for as little as $72 on eBay, for at least the main shifting mechanism. That I can test for fit on the floor with a console when I get to the trans project. The trim around the shifter might be hard to get, it appears to be part of the whole 2015-17 console. I would like that part because it has the indicator section for the gears, lights etc. It might be hard to get that if it is part of the console body itself.

I only need the surrounding surface inside that chrome area, I'll have to bond that to my existing cup holder trim piece. If it goes in well that way, then I'll have to send the trim to be painted with a matching CF dipped coating that is on my other trim pieces. We had a group buy here in the 2005 range, several members had their trim covered that way. That has kind of gone away, it's not as popular as it was then.

i forget but i think stic used that style shifter (though may have been out of an escape) on his navajo

i forget but i think stic used that style shifter (though may have been out of an escape) on his navajo
I know f150 use that style of shifter also expeditions

My bii uses 96 stang floor shifter
Just installed 08 escape shifter into 06 ranger it came out using 08 mariner console
Slick!!

I have a 5 speed sport trac the 5 speed shifter comes right up where the message center used to be, very clean

here is nte music keg cartridge mod, I took the factory assembly apart and made my own aluminum base
kegbuild.jpg
kegbuild1.jpg

kegbuildcart.jpg

kegdone.jpg

kegdone2.jpg

kegmount3.jpg

Beautiful work Jamie, I didn't think you meant the Music Keg cartridge would go through the Kleenex hole. I will consider that hard if I can, I do want to try to place the shifter just in front of that. Sweet ideas here, I love the brain storming.

I had a lot of time on my hands back then hahahahahahaha now all my personal junk is falling apart

The 2015-2020 shifter is shorter than many of the other Ford floor shifters. The Mustang shifter is a little shorter, but the cable comes out of the back of those. The trucks have a different cable mount on the shifter, the truck shifters are made for those. The Mustangs are more rare transmissions, and the shift cable goes in from the rear on those.

I found the shifter to be new for $180+S&T, the cable was $47+, and the Raptor shift handle was $172 etc. Test fitting the floor shifter where my console would be placed it about even with the front edge of the cup holder section. So it will be a close fit, and the opening of the console for the facial tissues will be tight to place the Keg cartridge there.

BTW, the 2015+ F150 has fairly large cup holders, adjustable with small fingers inside to open as a large cup is pushed into it. I might have a used section soon, that's the hardest item to find used(and it's too much to buy new, $377).

2016 F150 shifter trim cup holder GL3Z-1504567-EA.jpg

The 2015-2020 shifter is shorter than many of the other Ford floor shifters. The Mustang shifter is a little shorter, but the cable comes out of the back of those. The trucks have a different cable mount on the shifter, the truck shifters are made for those. The Mustangs are more rare transmissions, and the shift cable goes in from the rear on those.

I found the shifter to be new for $180+S&T, the cable was $47+, and the Raptor shift handle was $172 etc. Test fitting the floor shifter where my console would be placed it about even with the front edge of the cup holder section. So it will be a close fit, and the opening of the console for the facial tissues will be tight to place the Keg cartridge there.

BTW, the 2015+ F150 has fairly large cup holders, adjustable with small fingers inside to open as a large cup is pushed into it. I might have a used section soon, that's the hardest item to find used(and it's too much to buy new, $377).

View attachment 441083
That would look sweet!

I used a mustang shift lever on my 4r70w and a mustang cable bracket, in my bii the cable approaches from the rear, it worked out nicely! On a non lifted rig this setup might interfere w the front d shaft

I had rubber cup holders on those spots. Little rubber tab fit in the round holes. You could grip it to remove to make the cup holder bigger.
5 speeds in later years with the cup holders around the shifter are a safety hazard. Anything falls right out & if your lucky it won't get stuck under you gas or brake pedals.
The 3rd gen ones are just as bad. Too big for a standard 16oz water bottle,(falls out on turns) too small for a standard 20 oz soda bottle. And a standard sports water bottle doesn't fit anywhere. :bounce:

Back