• Register Today It's free!

What are these??

walkerp

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I just got my explorer running and found these unconnected in the engine bay…I have no clue where they go and what they are for. Do any of you guys know what they are?

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vacuum lines, for sure. Your engine would very probably run better with these connected. Not sure where these particular lines connect.

Can you find a male end that those would slip over, anywhere near the reach of the lines? Just some thoughts: there is a vacuum tree (cluster of vacuum lines) on the passenger side rear of the engine; there is a vacuum reservoir ball below the air filter; there is a vacuum line that attaches to the hot water shut off valve on the passenger side of the engine (down low, about mid engine). And there is an EGR valve that has a vacuum line.

Do you have a sticker on the radiator support, inside the engine bay, that is a diagram of the vacuum system?

Good luck!

i think the grey line goes to the valve on your heater hoses by the heater box. the red one goes across the front top of the motor but i cant remember what it goes to.

The red one goes to the fuel pressure regulator
The grey one goes to the heater control valve

Thank you guys for the help but I am still not finding where these should be connected, I also found one cut off coming from under the air intake. I have no idea where the fuel pressure regulator is and don’t see the connection on the heater control valve.

image.jpg

Thank you guys for the help but I am still not finding where these should be connected, I also found one cut off coming from under the air intake. I have no idea where the fuel pressure regulator is and don’t see the connection on the heater control valve.

View attachment 450991
Your heater control valve is missing

Screenshot_20240328-200827.png

Or

Screenshot_20240328-201246.png

This is a 2000 model year sohc? If so the red line is for the fuel pressure damper, only the 97 sohc had a fuel pressure regulator. After that they regulated the pressure in the tank and the fuel rail was fitted with a pulse damper.
The damper should be on the rear of the fuel rail drivers side. This red vacuum line should go to it

As Peter mentioned the grey one goes to the Mia heater control valve, the dash hvac system controls the valve to allow hot water to run into the heater core. Somebody removed yours and bypassed it
You can add one back in or simply plug the vacuum line

Back