What can I expect? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can I expect?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
So I've owned my 97 Mountaineer for a few months now and I'd like to modify. After a bit of research I'm beginning to find out room in the engine bay is my enemy when it comes to mods. So I'm being realistic and wondering what kind of 1/4 times I can expect with my goals. I'm thinking some head work to the 40p's including valve work. Torque Monster headers, A/c delte...underdrive pulleys, CAI, maybe a better intake manifold....3.73's and a shift kit. Drag Radials....things of that nature.

What is the most I can get out of this stocker with boltons and somewhat of a diet?

Can I reach mid 14's? I was also thinking of lowering the vehicle and inch or two. I want some what of a sportier, draggier explorer...what am I missing and what else do I need to know? What do I need to know about MAF when it comes to my goals and what are the better methods and or brands when it comes to my goals. I'm aware of the one company providing headers for the explorer gt40p....also what kind of throttle body...things like that do I need to look for? What can I get from the junk yard. What do I need to know about my rear end? It's an 8.8 right? Is it Limited Slip? Can I get an aluminum drive shaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know..stock with the 5.0 seems ok.
For more power off road I would think the manual tc swap would be the best bang for the buck,to get low range.
For drag racing try maybe a 69 mach I with a 428 CJ? lol

Just want something more out of what I got...just a quick explorer...and modest with reasonable expectations...just wondering if anyone else out there has tried to see what they could get out of an explorer NA.

What kind of cam spec s should I be looking at? I know the cam I've got is just about all my valves can handle stock...if I get the most out of 40p's I can and put the mountaineer on a diet...ie no power doors or windows and gut it...lighter hood, maybe take off the rear hatch...no A/C compressor...delete all EGR I can...etc etc...with 373s maybe 410s what kind of cam should I be getting?

your going to have to lose about 1000 lbs before it will be "quick". to put it in a nutshell, if your looking for mid 14's, you will need to speed some cash....well, a bit more then some cash, a good deal of cash.

The car weighs 5000 and I'm just trying to see who out there has done some mods and got good results. I want to go NA and if mid 14's arnt happening without a 100 or 150 shot. Why is everyone so against me trying to make it quick...I understand it's designed to be a multi purpose off road type of vehicle...but I see a 302 in a 5000 lb vehicle and RWD...I think it has some potential...just wondering if anyone has had luck in the 1/4....so mid 15's more like it? I know people are pushing 300+hp with the 40p's. I think realisticly I can lose maybe 400-500lbs

Well here's what my 01 5.0 does . Results are from a scan gauge II so I don't know how accurate it is.

0-60=10.25

1/4 mile= 17.85@78 mph

The car weighs 5000 and I'm just trying to see who out there has done some mods and got good results. I want to go NA and if mid 14's arnt happening without a 100 or 150 shot. Why is everyone so against me trying to make it quick...I understand it's designed to be a multi purpose off road type of vehicle...but I see a 302 in a 5000 lb vehicle and RWD...I think it has some potential...just wondering if anyone has had luck in the 1/4....so mid 15's more like it? I know people are pushing 300+hp with the 40p's. I think realisticly I can lose maybe 400-500lbs

i never said anything about being against it. you havent looked at my sig or seen my aviator sig. all i am saying is if you want to be in the 14's plan on spending some big bucks

Well I was wondering with modest mods what would these vehicles run in the 1/4. My guess is all bolt ons....a diet, cam/intake manifold upgrade...head work...valve work...lower gears...mid high 14's. Am I crazy for thinking so?

Seems like a lot people like the MAC CAI....any other good ones out there? What about MAF? What about TB.....what are the best bolt ons out there? I want to know what to shop for...don't want to waste money on crap. Torque Monsters are my only option for headers. Probably gonna get a pair of flowmasters true dual exhaust no cats. I want this thing to be getting god MPG's and getting the most out of my 5.0 I can.....the most out of my AOD....and the most out of basically what I've got. I still want it to be a SUV and tow....carry passengers...etc...just when I get a wild hair up my a$$...take it to the track and knock out a 14.9

With your ideas your definitly not going to get to the 14s with NA 1st of all you dont have aod its an 4r70w and if it were you the first thing you should do is swap in a bw1354 so you can get rid of the crappy awd case. 4.10s would be a good idea if your going to be just driving it in town not on the highway cause you only have a 4 speed so your mpg on the highway would be terrible i would say stick with some bolt ons: torque masters, cai, tb , and a tune from henson. see where that gets you and go from there and btw no need for a new intake man the exs 5.0 has a great intake better than a mustang 5.0 the larger intake offers the torque you need.

By bolt-on's, you will have to bolt something highly modified to the transmission, or bolt-on something like a supercharger, or turbocharger.

No easy bolt-on's are going to get you what you are looking for.

I say do it!

Hmmm... Bolt-ons should get you in the 16s...

Good luck with the project, but if you want to see numbers starting in 14 in your quarter, be ready to spend some money.

By the way, 5.0 explorer/mountaineers came with 3.73 LS rear ends. Check your door panel, under axle, it will say D4. If you look at your axle itself, the axle tag will identify it as a LS 3.73.

I want my 10,000 lb rv to turn high 16's in the 1/4...what can I do?

Really though..stroker and a turbo and you're golden!

I thought the RWD models came with an AOD...I have a RWD 5.0. I can imagine boltons including exhaust mods would be the 16 sec time frame....I do 65 tops on the highway so I think 4.10's might be ok. I did not know I had an LSD so that makes me happy. But with a typhoon intake...more aggresive high RPM range cam....valve work 1.6rr....and what is the deal with people going with 1.6rr on the exhaust side and 1.7rr on the intake or vise versa....dont recall which that is. I know the 40ps arnt that great but I'd like to upgrade as much as I can NA.....not just bolt ons. Shift kit Drag Radials....diet...would I still not reach 14's?

well actually posi trac is what I want....what should I be looking into when it comes to thaT?
9"?

here is everything on my truck

98 sport, 5L conversion.
stock gearing (4.10)
stock trains with trans go stage 2 kit
4406 manual case
motor
mustang fox cam (stock grind)
tmh
flowmaster muffler (duel in single out)
42 fms injectors
mild ported and gasket matched gtp heads
gasket matched lower intake
lighting 90mm maf
ee xcharger with around a 2 inch pulley
hendson tuned

i THINK it will do around 14.2 or 14.3 in the 1/4.

ahodges truck is a 347 stroker with the same blower kit, and he ran 13.7 in 4x4 with his

trust me, like Turdle said, it will take more then bolt on's, and a lot of $$$ to break into the 14's

you will not need a 9" for your truck. it will never be a 800 hp motor, running 9's. a 8.8 will take a lot of abuse

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to modify a 95 F150 with a 5.0 and realized that it was going to need a gear , LSD, traction bars , intake, tubular headers , and some heads just to get it started in the right direction. Then I looked at our Mounty and thought , hey this thing has all that already. Its also amazing how hard you can launch these things without needing drag radials. Its technically a 93 cobra long block that is detuned with the computer , cam and exuast. They were rated at 240 . If you free up the exaust post header, install a stock cobra cam and get a moates quarter horse, that should be achievable. Plus you can get rid of that pesky speed limiter and raise your rev limiter and shift points. Ive already done all of the Explorer Express suspension upgrades and put on some 97 Cobra wheels with 275/5517's. My next 3 mods will be a 3k stall , Quarter Horse , and a Compucar bag kit. Ive had alot of success with that kit at lower HP levels. I will use is a 50 shot. That keeps things on the cheap as far as not having to upgrade fuel pump , install ignition amplifier and taking timing out of the map. It takes a little time to set up the tube in the filter box to get air fuel ratio safe on the dyno but after that its all fun. Did you put your truck on some scales or did you go by specs online? I was going to weigh mine next week . I would have thought 4500 at most without driver.

Back