What did you do this weekend? Participation required | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Swapped out a cloudy headlight (due to condensation inside the lens) for a clearer one, added a tool tray,

101_2521 (800x450).jpg

101_2522 (800x450).jpg

and started adding cruise control. I discovered the grille insert where it's cut out for the hood latch is slightly different for the '02 compared to the '01 and I had to trim the tool tray slightly to get it to lay flat. Second pic is before I trimmed it where it overlaps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spent another weekend on the water in the california delta. we ended up landing 13 stripers and 1 channel cat. the wife landed the biggest one of the day.

WP_20160624_07_41_37_Pro_zps2wloamer.jpg

towing the new boat is no problem for the trac!
WP_20160624_12_27_07_Pro_zpsoir3lhj7.jpg

Starting stripping down the suspension, frame and underbody prepping for KBS coatings rustseal treatment. Bunch of new parts going in as well. Should be done by the summer

Replaced all 4 calipers with Raybestos Ceramic Coated remanufactured pieces (140K on factory parts), all 4 e-brake cables and freed the two stuck e-brake levers in the rear.
Also started tearing down the top of the motor for mods/upgrades/repairs...

I replaced the OEM rear shocks on my 05 ST. Very rusty and in the process I found the drivers side leaf spring Shackle was bad So I replaced them as well. Now I need to do the rear axle seal on the drivers side as it's leaking. The fun never ends on these old cars/trucks/SUV's.

I replaced the OEM rear shocks on my 05 ST. Very rusty and in the process I found the drivers side leaf spring Shackle was bad So I replaced them as well. Now I need to do the rear axle seal on the drivers side as it's leaking. The fun never ends on these old cars/trucks/SUV's.

Do both axle seals while you've got stuff apart. If ones leaking the other isn't far behind and you don't want to go through all the trouble if taking out one axle (and spending the money on 3 Qts of expensive synthetic gear oil) only to have to do the job again in a month or two.

Do both axle seals while you've got stuff apart. If ones leaking the other isn't far behind and you don't want to go through all the trouble if taking out one axle (and spending the money on 3 Qts of expensive synthetic gear oil) only to have to do the job again in a month or two.
Yeah that was the plan but thanks for the reminder.

@LONO100 , where did you get that tool tray, looks like it could be handy.

Got a little bored this weekend, so did some cosmetic, and some preventative maintenance--

started off with belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley-- and finished up with fuel filter, plugs, and wires.

20160703_184004.jpg

Also, the small plastic cap that used to cover my antenna base blew off a year or two ago in a carwash, so it was just a galvanized-looking baseplate:

20160702_193114.jpg

took it off, and painted it:

20160702_193455.jpg

20160702_194921.jpg

20160703_100417.jpg

20160703_100429.jpg

@theluke19 which one? the one in the picture of my wife holding the fish up? that's actually made by RAM mount. it's a bait board that can fit on a rod holder bracket or a ram ball mount. it could be used as a tool tray as well, and also has a magnetic surface to hold metal objects.

^ Luke's probably referring to the "sight shield" above the radiator. IIRC, they were factory installed only on 2001-03 ST's.

1L5Z8C291AB

Luke's probably referring to my photo of the tool tray install. Available only on 2001 STs and Sports - maybe some '02s. I took it off an '01 Sport at the salvage yard. I have 2 spares I can part with.

Repacked the front wheel bearings and replaced 1 on my son's '97 Mounty today.

A week ago Saturday night, my daughter called to say 2 wires under the hood of her '05 Ford 500 were against hot parts and were smoking. They decided to drive the 6 blocks home. I figured, worst case, the wires would short out & I'd have to fix it Sunday. Boy was I wrong!

101_2523 (800x450).jpg

They got home and raised the hood to find the engine compartment on fire! So instead of repairing some wires, we found another 2005 500 for her. The "new" one has fewer miles, leather interior, and sun roof, but is not as nice as the old one, and doesn't have AWD.

Luke's probably referring to my photo of the tool tray install. Available only on 2001 STs and Sports - maybe some '02s. I took it off an '01 Sport at the salvage yard. I have 2 spares I can part with.

Repacked the front wheel bearings and replaced 1 on my son's '97 Mounty today.

A week ago Saturday night, my daughter called to say 2 wires under the hood of her '05 Ford 500 were against hot parts and were smoking. They decided to drive the 6 blocks home. I figured, worst case, the wires would short out & I'd have to fix it Sunday. Boy was I wrong!

View attachment 91405

They got home and raised the hood to find the engine compartment on fire! So instead of repairing some wires, we found another 2005 500 for her. The "new" one has fewer miles, leather interior, and sun roof, but is not as nice as the old one, and doesn't have AWD.

Holy crap! What a mess. I don't suppose she had comprehensive insurance on it did she? I usually keep comprehensive coverage on my older vehicles just in case of stuff like that. It's pretty inexpensive.

That's scary looking, glad she is okay. I have two teenage drivers and worry about stuff like that happening.

Nope, no insurance other than liability. She wanted to put full coverage on the new one, but messed up by admitting the windshield has a crack. No comprehensive until the windshield is replaced. At least she got insurance on the new one before she got a speeding ticket Sunday. She's 20, so that would have, and likely will, hurt her insurance rates.

Nope, no insurance other than liability. She wanted to put full coverage on the new one, but messed up by admitting the windshield has a crack. No comprehensive until the windshield is replaced. At least she got insurance on the new one before she got a speeding ticket Sunday. She's 20, so that would have, and likely will, hurt her insurance rates.

Ooooh, I remember those days. I had one in college and I made the mistake of buying her a brand new convertible. She destroyed that car. My other daughter rolled her first car around the same time. Later she bought a 2 year old PT Cruiser and her boyfriend got in an accident and totaled it. They're both grown now and (thank God) they now have to buy their own vehicles. I still get stuck fronting the money and repairing them though. That's why we have so many Gen II's in the family. It makes my life much easier. My older daughter recently bought an almost new Honda Accord and she was told that I would not be working on it. Her husband got mad at me because I refused to let him drive my XLT while his CRV was broken down. I told him to put on his 'big boy" panties and go rent a car until his was repaired. He's been driving my daughter's old '00 AWD Mountaineer for the past couple of months because his CRV is screwed up again. It's an old vehicle and he has a long commute, so I've keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a call sayings he's broken down somewhere. Ah, the joys of parenthood...

"They're both grown now and (thank God) they now have to buy their own vehicles. I still get stuck fronting the money and repairing them though." Same here.

"That's we have so many Gen II's in the family. It makes my life much easier." Yes, consistency and interchangeability make life much easier.

"My older daughter recently bought an almost new Honda Accord and she was told that I would not be working on it. "

Last year my daughter looked at some non-Fords. I'm not a real mechanic anyway, but I know Fords reasonably well. I'm almost 61, and I've driven nothing but Fords & Mercurys since I was 15, aside from a '69 318 Charger I had for a second car for a short time when my Ranchero was new. I'm not learning other brands. I have a reputation to maintain!

"They're both grown now and (thank God) they now have to buy their own vehicles. I still get stuck fronting the money and repairing them though." Same here.

"That's we have so many Gen II's in the family. It makes my life much easier." Yes, consistency and interchangeability make life much easier.

"My older daughter recently bought an almost new Honda Accord and she was told that I would not be working on it. "

Last year my daughter looked at some non-Fords. I'm not a real mechanic anyway, but I know Fords reasonably well. I'm almost 61, and I've driven nothing but Fords & Mercurys since I was 15, aside from a '69 318 Charger I had for a second car for a short time when my Ranchero was new. I'm not learning other brands. I have a reputation to maintain!

I'm 68 today (Happy Birthday to me!). I'm starting to slow down and I don't really want to spend anymore time than necessary keeping the families vehicles on the road. I've owned quite few Fords since my 1st one when I was 16 (a '63 Fairlane) and I've always preferred them. They're just familiar to me.

Swap meet find, used Sport Trac bed extender with no hardware: $40
Less than $30 for mounting hardware and plugs...

Capture1.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swap meet find, used Sport Trac bed extender with no hardware: $40
Less than $30 for mounting hardware and plugs...

View attachment 91433

Good fine. I have the bed extender, which I usually don't have any need for, but sometimes it comes in really handy (like yesterday for a large dump run). I generally leave it out of the truck as it gets in the way. It does make a convenient work surface when stood on end with a piece of plywood on top. There is also an ultra rare bed divider panel, which I'd really like to find, and a OE Sport Trac rubber bed mat (which I did find on CL).

Back