What did you do this weekend? Participation required | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Started installing the torsen in my front diff ans started with the poly bushings up front as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cleaned out my trac, gave it a good wash, and did a little bit of adventuring! Found an exhaust leak by the engine! Yesterday i bought some paint for my future cladding project! All in all looks like it will be a good weekend!

Android quad-core "Digital Head Unit" (No drive) 1GB RAM with 16GB storage. Does NAV, back up camera, DVR and more.
Amazon - $206

13912510_1136583669742728_2376744892772976306_n.jpg

It gets an A- for Radio (No HD, but reception/sound quality is EXCELLENT),
an A+ for looks and full on Android awesomeness,
a "C" for the lack of a source volume control (Volume varies wildly with a different source selection),
and a solid "D" for "Ease of teaching the wife how to use the NAV function" - but it works fine for me... :p

Still need to wire the backup camera and the from aux camera.

Thought I might bring this back up since I have done a little work on one of my ST's this weekend. I had previously painted the silver parts of my interior satin black. I also changed to a black factory AM/FM/CD/cassette. As my picture shows my beige steering wheel looks like crap. So I found a black steering wheel in good shape and a column cover. It all ties in with the other black pretty good. The last picture is from the atving trip today. Got some looks with the ST loaded down like this.

IMG_20161003_055420141.jpg

IMG_20161030_105446142_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161030_182509006.jpg

I ordered a set of new lower ball joints for my '01 ST. I plan to also do the upper control arms this winter or spring. The squeaking is driving me nuts. I also had the set of almost new Michelin LTX tires, that I found on CL last fall for cheap, mounted and put on my daughter's 2000 Mountaineer.

Complete front suspension rebuild.

74864-e3c69a167221a9763280c4279dcd479a.jpg

74861-c21968893cd354a75d94c54bd2c7d01a.jpg

74855-0dcbf2bcdbed0ab4ae94e224a7a17b9e.jpg

I ordered a set of new lower ball joints for my '01 ST. I plan to also do the upper control arms this winter or spring. The squeaking is driving me nuts. I also had the set of almost new Michelin LTX tires, that I found on CL last fall for cheap, mounted and put on my daughter's 2000 Mountaineer.

Thursday Update:
I received my lower ball joints from RA yesterday and started working on the ST this afternoon. I knew the lower's BJ's were bad, but it turns out the uppers are even worse. I ordered the upper control arms from RA this evening. I decided that it's also time for a front pads while I'm in there. Although my brakes had been working okay the pads were 7/8th's gone and the pins were totally dry and rusty. More joy.

BTW, An excellent way to check for play in the upper BJ is with the tire off and the suspension at normal ride height, put a ratchet on the pinch bolt and move it back and forth. I knew the uppers had some play, but using the ratchet on the pinch bolt made the play very obvious.

Friday Update:
I got the driver's side apart today. The upper control arm bolts were a PITA. They wanted to get hung up on the upper shock tower and wouldn't fully withdraw from the control arm. If the bolts were a little bit shorter they would have come out much easier. I don't recall having this problem when I replaced the control arms on my '01 Eddie Bauer a few years ago. I finally got them out after about 20 mins of wiggling and rotating the bolts. I may cut a 1/2" off of each bolt before I reinstall them. I then installed both of the lower BJ's and purchased my new front brake pads.

Now I'm waiting on RA to deliver the new upper control arms, which have an ETA of next Tues.

After months of just hauling trash on the weekend and checking game cams around the house, we got out on the highway for a hunting trip. Came home with an empty bed but it was great to wind it out at 70 again and get a little dirty.

Thursday Update:
I received my lower ball joints from RA yesterday and started working on the ST this afternoon. I knew the lower's BJ's were bad, but it turns out the uppers are even worse. I ordered the upper control arms from RA this evening. I decided that it's also time for a front pads while I'm in there. Although my brakes had been working okay the pads were 7/8th's gone and the pins were totally dry and rusty. More joy.

BTW, An excellent way to check for play in the upper BJ is with the tire off and the suspension at normal ride height, put a ratchet on the pinch bolt and move it back and forth. I knew the uppers had some play, but using the ratchet on the pinch bolt made the play very obvious.

Friday Update:
I got the driver's side apart today. The upper control arm bolts were a PITA. They wanted to get hung up on the upper shock tower and wouldn't fully withdraw from the control arm. If the bolts were a little bit shorter they would have come out much easier. I don't recall having this problem when I replaced the control arms on my '01 Eddie Bauer a few years ago. I finally got them out after about 20 mins of wiggling and rotating the bolts. I may cut a 1/2" off of each bolt before I reinstall them. I then installed both of the lower BJ's and purchased my new front brake pads.

Now I'm waiting on RA to deliver the new upper control arms, which have an ETA of next Tues.

Sunday Update:
I re-Installed my steering knuckles on the new lower ball joints. I also installed my new ceramic brake pads and new brake hardware. I noticed the bushings on my OE style front sway bar end-links were in pretty bad condition. I will replace them with Moog polyurethane bushing end-links at some point in the near future, but for now I rebuilt the links from bushings I had lying around the garage. Now all I have to do is install the new upper control arms when they arrive, which shouldn't take me more than around 30-45 mins. I can't wait to take it for a quite, squeak-free ride. I'll worry about the wheel alignment later.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Getting rid of the ugly running boards and replacing with step bars that I'm modifying to fit the ST.

Getting rid of the ugly running boards and replacing with step bars that I'm modifying to fit the ST.
I need a set of those! They look much better and stronger. My OEM ones aren't holding up to the abuse I've put them through lately.

I don't think anyone makes them. I haven't seen any ST with anything similar so maybe I'll be the first?

I figured that since you said you were modifying them. I do like the design though, is it something you made for a different application?

And to keep on topic, I got high centered in a mud hole :D

20161106_6172-L.jpg

Sunday Update:
I re-Installed my steering knuckles on the new lower ball joints. I also installed my new ceramic brake pads and new brake hardware. I noticed the bushings on my OE style front sway bar end-links were in pretty bad condition. I will replace them with Moog polyurethane bushing end-links at some point in the near future, but for now I rebuilt the links from bushings I had lying around the garage. Now all I have to do is install the new upper control arms when they arrive, which shouldn't take me more than around 30-45 mins. I can't wait to take it for a quite, squeak-free ride. I'll worry about the wheel alignment later.

Tuesday Update:
New upper control arms arrived from RA today. Installed them and took it for a test drive. No more squeaks! Tomorrow I plan to do a little shade tree wheel alignment on it.

Changed the oil in my son's white V6 ST and found coolant on the oil pan. Looks like its coming from the passenger side front. Possible head gasket?? Whats your thoughts?? I have been adding coolant a little here and there for about a year. Truck has 215k on it. Runs real good still and no check engine light. Sorry for the poor picture.
IMG_20161108_062426296.jpg

After changing the upper/lower ball joints on my '01 ST last week, I took it to the wheel alignment shop. No adjustable caster/camber bolts needed. Minor adjustments only. $66 and now has perfect alignment. On to the next breakdown.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changed the oil in my son's white V6 ST and found coolant on the oil pan. Looks like its coming from the passenger side front. Possible head gasket?? Whats your thoughts?? I have been adding coolant a little here and there for about a year. Truck has 215k on it. Runs real good still and no check engine light. Sorry for the poor picture.View attachment 94106

I'd throw a bottle of K-Seal in the radiator. Amazing stuff.

Back