What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 51 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Do you find it too bright?
At least one member found the front map lights too bright and went back to OEM in those. It takes your eyes several minutes to readjust to the dark. Perhaps that is one reason Ford hasn't gone completely LED in the interior. Just a guess though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That makes sense. I was in a friend's Kia Sorento and she had LEDs on all interior lights but they were bright but just subdued. Almost like they had a tinted cover over them. I will have to look closer next time.

I used Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus paste wax. I used a polish that I got from the dealer with my exterior protection plan, that I have to use every 6 months to maintain the coverage.

I've tried a liquid wax in the past, I think it was a Meguiar's too, and I wasn't impressed with the results.

I've debated folks inc. a detail shop owner over liquid vs. paste wax for protection. I live on the coast, no snow but salt air laden fog, etc. At this time of the year pollen puts a layer of color on everything overnight.

I'm old school in that I grew up in the hard, paste wax era. The guy who details my car now still uses liquid final protection coat (I don't even know if it's "wax") but he's really into the cutting edge of detail stuff and is the franchise owner of a local shop. I may suggest the wax ou used to him.

Sometimes it's hard to see our hard work with a polish since we can't see the haze being wiped off. I'm with you when it comes to wax....

Do you find it too bright?

When every single light is on, its bright inside but i look at it this way....I rarely need EVERY light on. If i need to read something up front, then one map light is perfect. If somebody drops something on the floor in the back and asks for the lights to be turned on, then you want it as bright as possible anyway to find the dropped item.

If i enter the truck with all the lights on, they dim as soon as I close the door anyway.. so my eyes dont need adjusting time. Im happy with the swap

I'm sold! What bulbs did you use? I'm sure there is a thread with that info but since you are here....would you mind sharing? I have seen some installation pics so I can figure that out, I think....

I'm sold! What bulbs did you use? I'm sure there is a thread with that info but since you are here....would you mind sharing? I have seen some installation pics so I can figure that out, I think....
Post 184 may help.

Peter

Thanks, Peter....ummm, how do I find a post #? Not familiar with all the search functions yet.

Thanks, Peter....ummm, how do I find a post #? Not familiar with all the search functions yet.
Each post has an assigned number that can be found on the lower right side by the "Reply" button.

Peter

Not today, but last night, snapped a quick photo after the car wash.

20170527_221345.jpg

20170527_223340.jpg

I purchased a wheel/ tire combo online when a few months back and was super happy with it (Adventus AVX-7 22 x 9 +30 offset with 265/40/22 Yoko Spec-X tires) HOWEVER, the wheel faces stuck out further than the tires, making curb rash a serious threat, especially with the girlfriend cruising it (no offense honey). After 1000 miles I decided to change tire size. Yesterday I had Nitto 420S's installed, 285/35ZR/22's 106W. Wow, these things are SICK! I've got another inch of rubber on the road now, my wheel faces are protected, the tread pattern is awesome, and I bumped up in speed rating from V to W- not that I plan to test the limits of the W speed rating. An expensive lesson, but I don't regret the upgrade. Yoko's are for sale now BTW if anyone is interested- great tires, amazing ride, just not wide enough for my situation.

Well she got a bath, tinted tails, tinted refectors, some better led high beams, and blacked out exhaust tips. I had a black sport emblem but the adhesive foam that was on it was very cheap, so I'll work on getting some better 3m adhesive and getting it on.

9D4F775C-703A-4E0D-87C8-CDFE8ED70E6A_zps6ostuhlo.jpg

044DE801-4357-4B52-9990-23116080921A_zpstzhjyjid.jpg

E016053B-8EBE-4670-8E8B-FFB4C160AE69_zpsenlqvxq8.jpg

^^Looks great.^^ I just finished washing, clay barring and applying The Chemical Guys Carbon Flex C9 followed by Butter Wet Wax. I think it looks good...It got too dark to tell. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

^^Looks great.^^ I just finished washing, clay barring and applying The Chemical Guys Carbon Flex C9 followed by Butter Wet Wax. I think it looks good...It got too dark to tell. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

Thanks,

All of mine need clayed something terrible, just haven't gotten the time to do three black vehicles yet.

Thanks,

All of mine need clayed something terrible, just haven't gotten the time to do three black vehicles yet.

One Explorer was a job and was actually the first vehicle I've ever clayed - I can't imagine doing 3.

Love your black exhaust trims .....should have been OEM.

I'm going to do that next

Love your black exhaust trims .....should have been OEM.

I'm going to do that next

It adds a nice touch. Going to get the stocks wheels powdercoated until I can decided which wheels I want to go with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The black tips look great Randy! Going to get mine done this week. :)

Back