• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Steve Boat

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
What wheels, size, etc. are those. They look great.
These are 20" Stock Explorer special order Sport wheels, I got them used. Tire is stock size 255 50 20

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Steve Boat

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
What wheels, size, etc. are those. They look great.
These are 20" Stock Explorer special order Sport wheels, I got them used. Tire is stock size 255 50 20

ThoR294

Reaction score
City, State
Flemington,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT 4WD
Haven't posted here yet. I have done a few things recently to my 16 2.3L XLT

First purchased October 19th 2019:

K&N and JLT Catch Can:

Found some yucky while I was installing the catch can. fun...:

Those were cylinders 2 and 3, the dirtiest.

NGauge + a 5star tune. What a difference!:

Currently set the gauges to Boost, AFR, RPM, iat2 (post intercooler)

LED reverse lights because the stock ones suck:

Got some winter tires and wheels off craigslist for cheap. sensors and the programmer too. $500! Also tinted the windows. 35% front, 5% rear doors/side glass, 20% rear glass:

Weathertech mats all around except for behind 3rd row seats.

That's it so far.

RobbyAz

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
By center stack I assume you either mean the sides of the screen/AC controls, or the sides of the "shifter area"?

If that's what you mean it's very easy.

- The sides of the screen/AC controls pop out with a simple pull. I take them off way too often, so my technique is to start at the top, pull outwards (I use my nails, but you can use a piece of thin plastic or trim removing tool if you wish). When it pops out a bit, scoot down to where it's still attached and do the same again, and keep going until the entire thing pops off. They're held by ~3 clips. Here's the post where I replaced mine with nicer ones.

- If you want to take off the lower side panels of the center console (assuming that's what you meant), you just pull them out as well. Start at the top, then you can go from one end to the other. One of the connectors in the middle (the one that sticks out a bit more than the others and can move vertically a bit (mine is green)) might need a push downward as you push a new panel on, as the slot it goes in to is lower than what the tension of the connector is at.

- If you want to take off the whole center console (assuming that's what you meant), let me know, I've done that 100 times too, but there's a few more steps. I posted about it here.
Well, I finally had a chance to change the trim pieces on the center stack with the ones from a Platinum. I wanted to thank Rainlord for the guidance. It made the swap out much easier. Here are a few Photos:

Before:

Left Side Installed:

Both Sides Installed:

Pretty happy with the new look.

20190306_110556.jpg

20200114_105842.jpg

20200114_110437.jpg

Last edited:

Kurama

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport 401a
The dealer sticker came off today! Finally!

Kurama also got LED headlights, running lights and fog lights. Getting pictures soon for before and after!

IMG_20200115_220002.jpg

66 Galaxie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Platinum
Replaced 2nd row bench with a pair of buckets in my Platinum. Great improvement for my kids. :)

BlakeTheExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mc Kenzie
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Base
I installed a receiver hitch. Couldn't believe how easy it was!

way2far

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Replaced 2nd row bench with a pair of buckets in my Platinum. Great improvement for my kids. :)
Would love to "hear" how you did this, but I'll have to hide it from my wife as I said it couldn't be done, therefore I needed to trade my in for a sport. :)

66 Galaxie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Platinum
I won’t tell your wife that it’s only 4 nuts and 4 bolts total that need to be removed to take out the bench and right seat and then reinstalled with the replacement pair of bucket seats. Took about 15 minutes to do the swap and drink a cup of coffee.

The challenge was finding seats from a wrecked Platinum that were the right color. Took me a year of searching car-part.com to find them and totally worth it. ;-)

way2far

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Really? What about seatbelt placement and sliding rail? Wow I’m glad I didn’t talk to you first. Haha

66 Galaxie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Platinum
Sliding feature is part of the seat and mounting brackets are the same for the rear bench or bucket set up so it’s a “plug and play” process to switch from one to another.

With the seatbelts you just need to make sure the seats are for “inflatable” or “non-inflatable” seatbelts based on your Explorer’s equipment.

Enjoy your Sport!

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
West Coast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
Just go my car back from the dealer. They did the recall repairs (exhaust fumes and rear suspension toe link) and while it was in the shop I had them switch my lights to No DRL and dark mode (when stopping and egressing). Very happy. When they did the rear suspension link apparently it included an alignment thrown in. All good.

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Had to change my front Ford logo today. The last one didn't last long.

Old
IMG_3108.jpeg

New
IMG_3151.jpeg

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Where did you get your front logo? Never seem to find a good looking one!
Amazon. It was from carstore. But I just looked and it says no longer available. Weird...that happened to the last emblem I bought too.

Odrapnew

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I did a quick 0-60 test (first one I've actually timed since I bought it 6 years ago).
I don't have a pic/screenshot, but it was 6.6s.
87 octane, -10F out and no optimization (just 1 test).
Sand mode, slight powerbrake and off I went.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
All I see in the post above are 4 grey circles with a white horizontal bar in the middle.
That link works Jamie.

Peter

Last edited:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Did you guys know about this...? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
L Did you miss out on the Livernois Motorsports CAD Track Day? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
L Did you pass on the Sport, but still want the performance? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 30
A Did my first mod today Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
C Well I finally did it... ordered the Livernois Tuner Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
P Other possible seat swaps besides Flex and other 5th gens? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
K Adding Recovery Hooks on 5th Gen? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 13
S Custom lift for 5th gen? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
Rick List of Useful Threads Modified 5th Gen Forum's Best Threads Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
T 5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 270
N tire chains? anyone with 5th gen experiance Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
K Is it possible to put a coyote 5.0 in a 5th gen? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
O Question regarding Daytime Running LED's on 5th Gen Explorer (Picture) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 82
T 5th gen LED bulbs? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 8
S 5th Gen Explorer With LED Light Bar Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 149
Rick Modified 5th gens for new "Benchmark" page Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
F 5th gen lowered??? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
jcerrion How To: Trim the lower fasica bumper on a 5th gen X Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
R Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 513
B Gen 5 T-Rex Grille? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
M nuB with a fifth gen sport.. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 12
C Wheel sizing between Gen 4 & 5 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
C skid plate / undercarriage / lower vent for Gen 5 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
M Aftermarket Accessories for Explorer Gen 5 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
I Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 34