What do I need installed in my 2019 PIU so keyless entry works? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do I need installed in my 2019 PIU so keyless entry works?

Studly

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Police Interceptor
I purchased a Compustar remote starter for my 2019 PIU. And they say it is compatible with that vehicle. However the remote starter kit also includes keyless entry, which I don't currently have on my PIU. However, I've gotten mixed answers from remote-starter installers on if the Compustar's keyless entry feature will work on my vehicle, since it didn't previously have that option. Do any of you PIU owners know if that feature can be enabled using an aftermarket remote start and keyless entry kit? If not, do I need to have a module or something installed by Ford (or an aftermarket provider) to enable that feature with my new Compustar kit? And anyone know how much that would cost? Thanks much for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The PIU's keyless entry is controlled by the BCM Body Control Module. Sometimes it's disabled in the software and can be turned on using ForScan. When you say your PIU "doesn't have that option" do you mean that when you bought it that it didn't come with any RKE fobs? Or have you looked in the BCM settings made sure RKE is enabled) and added and tested a factory RKE fob and keyless entry is still not working?

The PIU's keyless entry is controlled by the BCM Body Control Module. Sometimes it's disabled in the software and can be turned on using ForScan. When you say your PIU "doesn't have that option" do you mean that when you bought it that it didn't come with any RKE fobs? Or have you looked in the BCM settings made sure RKE is enabled) and added and tested a factory RKE fob and keyless entry is still not working?
Thanks for the help! Yeah, when I bought it, it did not come with any fobs, just a key. Haven't looked into anything else regarding it.

Well, if I were you, I would start by downloading ForScan and taking a look at the RKE status in the Body Control Module. If it's disabled, enable it. Then have your remote starter programmed and installed. I would think at that point it would function as designed. I can't speak specifically on the remote start you bought. I am using a Fortin evo all to remote start my PIU with the factory RKE Fob.

I don't know if these will help. I found them using the handy 'Search' feature.

Note: Links have been removed

I have no experience using FORScan.

Peter

Be wary of the 2 above linked threads Peter posted in your endeavor. Your 2019 is neither a 2013 or 2015. The Explorer, PIU included underwent a large overhaul at the 2016 year model refresh. Most if not all of the information regarding remote start, RKE and TPMS are NOT the same between 2011-2015 and 2016-2019 models.

Be wary of the 2 above linked threads Peter posted in your endeavor. Your 2019 is neither a 2013 or 2015. The Explorer, PIU included underwent a large overhaul at the 2016 year model refresh. Most if not all of the information regarding remote start, RKE and TPMS are NOT the same between 2011-2015 and 2016-2019 models.
Do you know if the 2011-2015 programming has any useful info? If not, then I'll delete the post.

Peter

Do you know if the 2011-2015 programming has any useful info? If not, then I'll delete the post.

Peter
No, the programming info is not useful for 2016-2019 owners. The old way of using the key cycles and brake pedal etc do not work 2016+, all RKE programming is done via IDS or ForScan using a 48-character security string of numbers and letters contained on a sticker inside the only 2 OEM key Fobs that work on the 2016-2019 PIU. In Fords infinite wisdom this was a security measure put in place.

GB5Z-15K601-A (red panic-sedan) or GB5Z-15K601-C (blue liftgate-utility)

NOTE: both Fobs work on the utility however I prefer the Sedan version, as I have the rear lift gate police function turned off which makes the blue liftgate button useless and the panic button can be handy.

I don't know if these will help. I found them using the handy 'Search' feature.
I have no experience using FORScan.

Peter
Thanks, but I did use the handy search feature and read many past threads about this, but I didn't find any regarding my particular make/model of remote starter (most were talking about the 12 Volt brand), which I got a good deal on and already purchased.

Well, if I were you, I would start by downloading ForScan and taking a look at the RKE status in the Body Control Module. If it's disabled, enable it. Then have your remote starter programmed and installed. I would think at that point it would function as designed. I can't speak specifically on the remote start you bought. I am using a Fortin evo all to remote start my PIU with the factory RKE Fob.
Thanks, you are super helpful! I've read threads in this and other forums mentioning ForScan before but never really knew how it is used, but you explained it well. Will check into it. Would a place like Best Buy that is offering free installation on the CompuStar kit I bought typically use ForScan to check for this when installing a remote starter, or is this something I should buy and do in advance?

Thanks, you are super helpful! I've read threads in this and other forums mentioning ForScan before but never really knew how it is used, but you explained it well. Will check into it. Would a place like Best Buy that is offering free installation on the CompuStar kit I bought typically use ForScan to check for this when installing a remote starter, or is this something I should buy and do in advance?
ForScan is software you can get a free limited license for. You need a windows laptop/iOS device/android device to use it with the Lite versions for the mobile devices. Depending on which route you go you will need an OBDII cable that meets the software's requirements (these come in standard USB and wireless versions) if you're using a phone.

This is something you will want to do prior to having an installer install the kit, it's very unlikely any big box store is going to know what ForScan is let alone make changes to modules in your vehicle for liability reasons.

Check out ForScan.org and do a little reading on what the software can do and what you need as far as an OBD cable.

Enabling RKE is a pretty simple process once you are up and running, if you can't find a thread or YouTube video on it, I'm sure someone on here or myself can walk you through it and hopefully get you up and running.

ForScan is software you can get a free limited license for. You need a windows laptop/iOS device/android device to use it with the Lite versions for the mobile devices. Depending on which route you go you will need an OBDII cable that meets the software's requirements (these come in standard USB and wireless versions) if you're using a phone.

This is something you will want to do prior to having an installer install the kit, it's very unlikely any big box store is going to know what ForScan is let alone make changes to modules in your vehicle for liability reasons.

Check out ForScan.org and do a little reading on what the software can do and what you need as far as an OBD cable.

Enabling RKE is a pretty simple process once you are up and running, if you can't find a thread or YouTube video on it, I'm sure someone on here or myself can walk you through it and hopefully get you up and running.
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation, which is really helpful! One question: once RKE is enabled, will the remote starter installer be able to program the remote for keyless entry without me having a factory key fob to get the codes from? Will I need to give them the 48 character security codes from ForScan or anything?

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation, which is really helpful! One question: once RKE is enabled, will the remote starter installer be able to program the remote for keyless entry without me having a factory key fob to get the codes from? Will I need to give them the 48 character security codes from ForScan or anything?
I don't believe you will need a factory Fob or the 48-character security code as you will be using the Fobs in your Compustar kit.
I can't be 100% as I've never used this particular kit but I believe once RKE is enabled the signal from the Compustar Fob will (talk to) the Compustar remote start module which will command your vehicle to start, much like the Fortin Evo all I use.
One benefit we have as PIU owners is they don't have PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) which is usually the main issue people run into when installing aftermarket remote start systems.

Back