What do you think??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think???

Reaction score
City, State
Corinth, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I have a set of ikon gt5 rims that i bought for my maxima, but now that i sold my max, they have sat in the garage for the past 2 years. i have questioned wether i could put them on my explorer or not, being it is a heaver truck rather than a slightly lighter car. plus whether mud tires would look ok on them.... but i found a pic of them on a small truck, so it made me think some more...

20678650002_large.jpg

here they are on my maxima..

8472140001_large.jpg

i am looking to get these tires..

35 x 12.5 x 18 mud grapplers :)

mudgrappler.jpg

so what do u think?

I dont plan on rock climbing, just a little mud here and there.

obveously these wont go on until after i get spacers and a body lift.....

otherwise im stuck buying tires for my stock rims, until i can afford new rims..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what off set are your wheels?

There should be a weight limit for each wheel on the inside of the wheel. I believe that weight X 4= total supported weight. So if it's more than your ex, you are good, if not, then don't bother.

Also because you had a front wheel drive car, the backspacing may push the tire out too far. Do the rims even fit?(correct lug spacing, etc?)

There should be a weight limit for each wheel on the inside of the wheel. I believe that weight X 4= total supported weight. So if it's more than your ex, you are good, if not, then don't bother.

Also because you had a front wheel drive car, the backspacing may push the tire out too far. Do the rims even fit?(correct lug spacing, etc?)

they are probably around a 35-45 offset becuz its a front wheel drive i just wanna make sure. lol if he wants to put 35s on those wheels he is gonna need some 2 inch spacers atleast. my wheels and spacer combo is at -24 offset just to clear the 35s with trimming.

if you do wanna get 35s under her it takes 3/2.5 spacers and a body lift. then with the spacers you're gonna need a set of custom upper arms. the rims with a offset of somewhere between -12 and -24

You'll need wheel adapters to convert the lug pattern to the Explorer pattern (5x4.5) which should be factored into the budget as well. The Maxima doesn't share the same lug pattern.

http://www.what-wheels-will-fit.com

this site claims that they should....

if all else fails i can always try to put them on..lol

this is just an attempt to save some money.. if it works, great, if not.. oh well

How about this, take a wheel off and test the front and rear. If it fits and fits within reason, then you are in luck. Also make sure the wheel can support the weight of the Ex as well as the 35's.

i think they will look sexy

just came back from the garage....
they will fit. their weight limit is well within range as well. i plan on getting 1.5" wheel spacers(they fit about like the stock rims). and once i get the lifts on, i wil decide wether to get 35" or 33" tires.

this is all just an idea... my plans were to buy the dc-1 rims this december... but if these would work, i could hold off spending the money to buy them.

i wouldn't surprized if you could sell those rims and tires for more then the cost of a set of 16 or 17 inch off roading wheels. 5x4.5 is a popular bolt pattern so you shouldn't have a problem dumping them off.

a little off topic but what color is your explorer? after having mine lifted i was telling awdrocks that i really wish i stuck with the street scene and just built the motor and driveline. you already have rims that would look sick with a set of hi performance drag tires. supercharge and built the tranny

i wouldn't surprized if you could sell those rims and tires for more then the cost of a set of 16 or 17 inch off roading wheels. 5x4.5 is a popular bolt pattern so you shouldn't have a problem dumping them off.

a little off topic but what color is your explorer? after having mine lifted i was telling awdrocks that i really wish i stuck with the street scene and just built the motor and driveline. you already have rims that would look sick with a set of hi performance drag tires. supercharge and built the tranny

its dark blue.. i have thought about going in that direction, but the more i think about it, the less i want to do it...

i have the rims posted for sale on a few websites but no interest yet. so im just tryin to work with what i have..lol..

hit up some of the local ricer hang outs. but hell if you wanna use them then do it up

Back