What happened to adaptive cruise control on 2014s? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What happened to adaptive cruise control on 2014s?

acjk

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited AWD 302A
I picked up my 2014 Ford Explorer Limited with the 302 package yesterday and noticed today that it doesn't have the adaptive cruise control package! I have a call out to the dealer about this but I figured that I would mention this here as well. Looking at the 2014s on the website, I don't even see it as an option in the package so I am thoroughly confused. This was one of the main reasons I got the 302 package. Does anyone know what happened to adaptive cruise control on Limited's with the 302 package?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I did some more exploring of the Ford website and found that it is now an additional feature that you have to pay for separately for $1150! Of course my rep at the dealer never told me this and I didn't notice its omission on my window sticker so I will just have to talk to him about this. Maybe they can go back and add it?

Wow, so you fully load your Limited for the options you want and then suddenly you don't have it? Ouch... Ford is trying loopholes now to make more money I see... This was similar to the 2013 Fusion having ambient lighting but not on the center console cupholders. Ford hasn't been doing well with its image about its quality and now I guess they want to cut off stuff and make it extra money so people will pay more. Henry Ford wanted to make the automobile affordable, not rip every American there was.

I know! Crazy, huh? I was wondering why they were discounting the 302 package more than last year (list price is $5400 but they discount it $850). I thought it was a good deal but it turns out it's just because they moved the cost elsewhere!

When I go to Ford.com to build the Explorer, it makes me add the adaptive cruise control when I select the 302A package.

Ok I did some more exploring of the Ford website and found that it is now an additional feature that you have to pay for separately for $1150! Of course my rep at the dealer never told me this and I didn't notice its omission on my window sticker so I will just have to talk to him about this. Maybe they can go back and add it?
Do you have the other options like BLIS, lane keeping, etc?
Like jrmexplorer, I did a 'build' and selected the 302A package. I was then asked if I wanted to add the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). If I answered NO, it took me back to the 300A package. Then when I continued with that one and selected Active Park Assist as on option, it automatically also chose the ACC. So the bottom line is that I wasn't able to build anything except the 300A without the ACC.
I'm not sure if the ACC can be added afterwards.

NOTE: to help in having members address future concerns, it would be very helpful if you added your model and year so that it will show up in the left column where your name is.

Good luck.

Peter

When I go to Ford.com to build the Explorer, it makes me add the adaptive cruise control when I select the 302A package.
Good to know. I may go for the 2015 when my current lease is up and that is something I'll definitely pay attention to. The Adaptive Cruise feature is the one I use the most. Some day when the Canadian Ford site gets up to speed and has the 2014 available for 'building' I'll see if it is the same. Right now, as usual, our site still shows the 2013, which you can't even order any longer.

Peter

I am about to buy a 2014 limited and when I went to the dealer to get prices I had to manually add ACC. The dealer told me they took ACC out of 302a because people did not want it.

I am about to buy a 2014 limited and when I went to the dealer to get prices I had to manually add ACC. The dealer told me they took ACC out of 302a because people did not want it.
I find that a bit difficult to believe. In the 2+ years I've had my Explorer, I've used the Park Assist twice but the ACC I use almost every time. To clarify, I live in a small rural town outside of the city so there is little need for the Park Assist.

Peter

I didn't want ACC... I use cruise but I don't want to get to the point of relying on ACC, I need to pay more attention than that. Personal preference.

No adaptive cruise control included on the 2014 Limited 302A package is truly malodorous. Once you experience it on long drives you’ll never want to be without it. It’s quite spooky feeling it in action, (along with the automatic lane keeping and self parking).
I have to wonder about the cost of retrofitting it after the fact. The biggest factor would have to be that radar “transceiver” behind the front grille on the driver’s side. It’s a beautiful little cast unit with what appears to be two adjacent 3”x3 square antennas pointing forward, ( I saw it in a video once and I think it is produced by Bendix Aviation, Inc.) That sucker has to be big bucks. Then there is the problem of tying and programming the whole system into the existing cruise control and BCM. I think Bendix calls their unit “Wingman” and it was originally built for trucks - and it CAN be added to existing vehicles! Let us know how things work out for you…

I did t want it, in fact I believe it's dangerous. One more thing that lulls the driver and disconnects them from driving. Too much reliance on technology.

No adaptive cruise control included on the 2014 Limited 302A package is truly malodorous. Once you experience it on long drives you’ll never want to be without it. It’s quite spooky feeling it in action, (along with the automatic lane keeping and self parking).
I have to wonder about the cost of retrofitting it after the fact. The biggest factor would have to be that radar “transceiver” behind the front grille on the driver’s side. It’s a beautiful little cast unit with what appears to be two adjacent 3”x3 square antennas pointing forward, ( I saw it in a video once and I think it is produced by Bendix Aviation, Inc.) That sucker has to be big bucks. Then there is the problem of tying and programming the whole system into the existing cruise control and BCM. I think Bendix calls their unit “Wingman” and it was originally built for trucks - and it CAN be added to existing vehicles! Let us know how things work out for you…

I can't speak to all these options since I have a sport, but I'm still unsure whether I should have even got the ACC as I find it to be a bit annoying. Maybe it's because the area i'm in has such heavy traffic with a mix of very aggressive and very distracted drivers, but I feel it always brakes too late, accelerates too hard, and then only to jam right back on the brakes. Not saying anyone shouldn't get it, but it's not as perfect to me as it is to others.

I can't speak to all these options since I have a sport, but I'm still unsure whether I should have even got the ACC as I find it to be a bit annoying. Maybe it's because the area i'm in has such heavy traffic with a mix of very aggressive and very distracted drivers, but I feel it always brakes too late, accelerates too hard, and then only to jam right back on the brakes. Not saying anyone shouldn't get it, but it's not as perfect to me as it is to others.
The ACC should not be used in areas of heavy traffic. As for braking too late, the distance between your vehicle and the one ahead can be adjusted easily so that it slows earlier. In most cases it doesn't apply the brakes but just slows to maintain the speed of the vehicle ahead. I do agree though that it accelerates way too quickly to get back to the set speed. I realize it (ACC) isn't for everyone but the owners I have spoken with think it is wonderful.

Peter

I guess what i've seen is that it does okay if you are just dealing with small speed variations ie small changes on the highway, but when the traffic in front starts braking it gets way too close and brakes way too aggressively for my taste. Even if the space is adjusted out it still acts the same way, over aggressive, just while trying to maintain a different set spacing.

I've always thought you use the cruise to help hold speed as well as the benefit for improved mileage by less jockeying, but with ACC it's way worse mileage wise then most drives since it can't plan what what is happening, only reacting.

Hi everyone.

I'm Ashley and I'm going to be here in the evenings to help out on the forum. :)

I took a look at the 2014 Order Guide and it says that the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support is an available option on the Limited 301A, 302A, and 303A equipment groups, but is not automatically included with any of them. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions you have about the order guide -- just let me know!

Ashley

Hi everyone.

I'm Ashley and I'm going to be here in the evenings to help out on the forum. :)

I took a look at the 2014 Order Guide and it says that the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support is an available option on the Limited 301A, 302A, and 303A equipment groups, but is not automatically included with any of them. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions you have about the order guide -- just let me know!

Ashley

However, what about the website? It's misleading people like it did with me when I bought my Fusion. It said there were cupholder lights when there were not. When you build your Ford Explorer. When you put in 302A package, you automatically get the Adaptive Cruise Control. I'll make a youtube video to show you. Maybe you can fix the website so it won't mislead people.

Edit: Here's the video to what I and others are talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlMwYSR-a8&feature=youtu.be

However, what about the website? It's misleading people like it did with me when I bought my Fusion. It said there were cupholder lights when there were not. When you build your Ford Explorer. When you put in 302A package, you automatically get the Adaptive Cruise Control. I'll make a youtube video to show you. Maybe you can fix the website so it won't mislead people.

Edit: Here's the video to what I and others are talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlMwYSR-a8&feature=youtu.be

I agree that the website is misleading. So is the fact that previous model years included it as part of that package. I think either Ford or the original poster's dealer dropped the ball on this one.

I'd see if the dealer can make it right. I doubt they can "add it on" later, but who knows....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree there seems to be a problem with the Ford website 'Build' function.
However, the ACC is NOT part of the 302A package. If you go directly to 'building' the 302A package, you will get a pop up that asks if you want to add Adaptive Cruise Control. That indicates it isn't automatically included.
If on the other hand, you select another package, for example the 300A, and then select another model, the program doesn't seem to delete previous info or operate correctly.
If you want to change packages, it seems the only way to do it to get the correct options is to use the 'Change Vehicle' button and start over.
Using the 'Build' program I could not get the features of the 302A package without having to add the Adaptive Cruise Control.

Peter

Back