Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
What is a god shock?

I am looking at replacing the stock shocks on my 97 Mountaineer. What is a good all around shock. I was thinking about either the Eldebrock IAS or the Bilstein 5100 series. I would even consider RS9000's if the control valve is easy to reach.
Thanks in advance for for the help.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes the edelbrock is a good all around shock the bilstein is also a very good shock i wouldn't go rancho

What is a god shock?

Lightening?

Originally posted by mahieber
What is a god shock?

Lightening?

Damn, he beat me to the punch line... :p

Have heard more than once that the Edelbrocks don't last very long.

I tend to think the Bilsteins are rather harsh.

Control valves are easy to reach on Rancho RS9000's. And once you figure out what level works best for you, you won't be adjusting them very much. They're very good shocks also, I would recommend them. Nice thing is, that if you try them and don't like them for some unknown reason, I guarantee that you could sell them for almost what you paid for them in a heartbeat. Great thing about the 9000's is that you should never have to say that they're too harsh or too soft -- you get to adjust them for the ride YOU like best.

Rancho also makes the RSX if you're interested in an auto-adjusting gas shock, similar to the Edelbrock.

Originally posted by DOGMAN
Have heard more than once that the Edelbrocks don't last very long..

I would be very interested in what and where you have heard this.

Thanks....

Al -

Sorry I can't be specific, but over the course of the last year or so, on this site and others, along with just talking to friends, etc., I know I've heard probably a half dozen people comment that their Edelbrocks wore out prematurely, that their performance was degraded, after a fairly short time. To me this is quite unusual to hear about a shock absorber in general, as most do not have this problem. So that goes into the basis for my opinion -- and that's only what it is, my opinion. I'm sure many people are satisfied with the performance of their Edelbrock shocks, and good for them. But based on my experience, and from what I've heard, I would choose not to buy Edelbrock shocks.

I've been using Rancho RS9000's for about 7 years now, and have been satisfied with their performance on and off road. They've held up very well, and seem to perform the same as when they were brand new. So that's where my opinion is based.

Definitely, to each their own, and the only bad choice is the one where you don't get exactly what you really want.

Back