What is a good spark plug for a 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is a good spark plug for a 5.0

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I will be replacing the plugs on my 97 5.0 Mountaineer when spring gets here. What is a good pug to use. Please don't say BOSCH Platinum. I will never use these piece of s*** plugs again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats wrong with Bosch plaitnum? I have the +4's and they perform better then the ford ones I had.....I don;t see why people think the Bosch are bad...there is really nothing wrong with them at all...people are making a much bigger issue out of nothing.

I had a set in a 85 Bronco II with a 2.8 V6 a few years ago. A guy at work said the were great my friend told me the sucked. My freind was right. They were only good for about 6 months. I went back to Motorcraft.
I had aset of NGK v-grooves in a 75 nova with a mild 350 and loved them. I just was not sure about them in a 5.0 however.

Well, I'll let someone else answer this then cause I was going to recommend the Bosch +4 plugs....lol

Dan -

Hard to beat the OEM Motorcraft plugs that are specified for your 5.0. That's what I'd recommend. Using anything else is just wishful thinking that they'll somehow improve performance over stock. They won't.

I'd have to back up your opinion of Bosch plugs. A few years back, I had a coupon for a good deal on a set of +4 Platinums, so I figured, what the heck, I'll try them. Worst plug I ever used! About 3 or 4 months later, my motor started missing under acceleration. Long story short, it was the +4's. Two of the insulators were cracked, and on most of the plugs, the electrodes were out of alignment. Since they have 3 more electrodes per plug, that's 3 more chances that the gap on those will be wrong. Anyway, I installed a fresh set of stock Motorcraft plugs and, voila, no missing, the motor was back to normal.

As for platinum plugs in general, platinum is less suseptable to corrosion than copper is, which means it should last longer. But copper is a better conductor of electricity than platinum is. How many race cars do you know of that use platinum plugs? I don't know of any. Winston cup, NHRA, IRL, CART, F1, Outlaws -- none of them use platinum plugs. They use copper plugs. They're looking for performance, not longevity.

Back