What is considered "normal" shift behavior? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is considered "normal" shift behavior?

Expy2020

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer XLT AWD
So I've got 3k miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty before I move into the CPO powertrain coverage only. I've had the latest TSB done for shift programming and it greatly improved the up shifting. But when you slow down, it still down shifts early, especially the 4-3 or 3-2, it's hard to tell because it doesn't show gear number on the dash.

If I put the shifter into M and brake as normal to come to a stop, it's nice and smooth as the car down shifts on its own to prevent stall. I'd like it to do the same when in normal drive mode. Should I be concerned or is this just how this 10 speed works and this is not a sign of early failure? I've only got 30k miles on the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you feel a kick in the rear when it downshifts, it should be OK. Sounds like you aren't sure when it downshifts so is it even a problem? Thankfully, when I am coming to a stop or slow down, it's pretty smooth. However even with the latest PCM update, the partial throttle low gear shifting still leaves a lot to be desired.

I did some testing today and I believe it is the 4-3 shift and then it goes from 3 to 1. My F150 with the 6 speed also goes from 3 to 1 but not till you come to a compete stop so there is no jerk in gear while moving. I really prefer the 6 speed in my truck, it's predictable.

Unless you feel a kick in the rear when it downshifts, it should be OK. Sounds like you aren't sure when it downshifts so is it even a problem? Thankfully, when I am coming to a stop or slow down, it's pretty smooth. However even with the latest PCM update, the partial throttle low gear shifting still leaves a lot to be desired.
What would this 'kick' be indicative of? I occasionally get a pretty firm downshift around 20mph while coasting/slowing in heavy traffic.

What would this 'kick' be indicative of? I occasionally get a pretty firm downshift around 20mph while coasting/slowing in heavy traffic.
If I'm very attentive and slow down very gradually where possible, I can minimize the bump down shifts, but if stopping even a tiny bit aggressively, like if someone merges in front of you as you slow, causing you to have less stopping distance and increase brake pressure, it's very annoying how hard it down shifts. I've been popping it into manual to slow down to a stop like when approaching a stop light or sign, just to keep it smooth. I drove a 23 the other day with 8k miles on it and it behaved exactly the same, bummer. I've driven F150s with the ten speed and noticed some do it, some don't, but mostly they don't. It's a heavier duty version but I still have to believe it's just ****e programming on Fords part.

I wonder if any of the after market tuners could fix it. I've always run 5 star tunes on my trucks, and they do offer a tune for the explorer.... Anyone running one of theirs or another tuner?

I was merely suggesting that any harsh shift, in this case downshift, is not normal.

I was merely suggesting that any harsh shift, in this case downshift, is not normal.
Are you saying you also have a 10 speed and do not have the downshifting issue when slowing? I've got CPO powertrain coverage till 7yr/100k but in my case I'll age out before I mileage out (only 3 years left) so hopefully it it blows, it happens before my warranty is up.

The 10 speed transmissions with the 2.3 engine seem to be the worst. Maybe it's lack of low end torque/flywheel momentum, or whatever. The transmissions are clunky when downshifting. And mine also has weird hesitations when upshifting out of 1st gear sometimes. It's all pretty "normal" unfortunately.

When mine had 57k miles on it, it began slipping when shifting from R to D. That's when I took it in, and they ended up pulling the transmission and replacing some internal components. It does seem to drive a little better now, but not as smooth as my brother's F-150 with the 10 speed.

Unfortunately, on my part, it's intermittent enough that it's hard to replicate.

Are you saying you also have a 10 speed and do not have the downshifting issue when slowing? I've got CPO powertrain coverage till 7yr/100k but in my case I'll age out before I mileage out (only 3 years left) so hopefully it it blows, it happens before my warranty is up.
I have a 2020 ST for what that's worth. Downshifting is smooth both coming to a stop and when I initiate it with the shift paddles (which I do often).

You have the option of purchasing an ESP to extend the warranty.

Peter

So I've got 3k miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty before I move into the CPO powertrain coverage only. I've had the latest TSB done for shift programming and it greatly improved the up shifting. But when you slow down, it still down shifts early, especially the 4-3 or 3-2, it's hard to tell because it doesn't show gear number on the dash.

If I put the shifter into M and brake as normal to come to a stop, it's nice and smooth as the car down shifts on its own to prevent stall. I'd like it to do the same when in normal drive mode. Should I be concerned or is this just how this 10 speed works and this is not a sign of early failure? I've only got 30k miles on the car.
What drive mode are you in? (assuming you have the knob like my GT does)

What drive mode are you in? (assuming you have the knob like my GT does)
Normal or eco drive mode, downshifting is much more aggressive in sport mode which I think is to be expected. I'm basically just wondering, has anyone hit 100k miles and experienced this behavior the whole time so as to be deemed normal behavior of this 10 speed?

Back