• Register Today It's free!

New CPO owner with issues

Expy2020

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer XLT AWD
I recently purchased a CPO explorer XLT AWD with just 23k miles. It immediately needed the tsb done for peeling window switches and I also asked them to reset the adaptive learning as the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts were harsh as was the downshifting when slowing down.

Picked the car up and they said if it's still an issue after a few hundred miles, bring it back and we'll take the valve body out and index the shift solenoids to the PCM. Sounded strange to me but, it's Been 1k miles with no improvement. So do I let them start messing with the internals? They claim it's been successful for others but I've not read of that specific operation on the forums. Maybe it was just poorly explained. It's a 2 day process according to them, no cost to me, all covered by warranty.

Also, with my AC on, the car makes a whine type noise that goes away with AC turned off. In my past experience owning many many higher miles vehicles, AC noise usually means the compressor needs to be replaced. Is compressor noise normal for these 2.3L explorers or do I need to push for a replacement? I've never driven any other explorers of this generation so I have nothing to compare to.

Love everything else about the car, great replacent for our ecoboost expedition now that we're downsizing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
With the earlier models, all you had to do to get the transmission to relearn was to disconnect the negative battery cable for a while. I have not been able to find anything on Adaptive Learning in the 2020+ Owner's Manuals. The word "Adaptive" only comes up when referring to cruise control and headlamps. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I am unable to find it. Also, it did take a while for the transmission to adjust to your driving style. Good luck with the other issues and please keep us in the loop.

Peter

My 2 cents on this

The adaptive learning excuse should be a one time thing....after that it's a stall tactic used to run out the warranty....Their are loads of TSB's regarding the shifting issues. You should read them if your still having problems. I printed several out and took them to the dealer....they already did the adaptive BS....and the manually forcing of the valve / solenoids....finally the complete Valve body was replaced. At times it still shifts like a high school teen learning how drive a manual transmission.

What Is a CPO?

My 2 cents on this

The adaptive learning excuse should be a one time thing....after that it's a stall tactic used to run out the warranty....Their are loads of TSB's regarding the shifting issues. You should read them if your still having problems. I printed several out and took them to the dealer....they already did the adaptive BS....and the manually forcing of the valve / solenoids....finally the complete Valve body was replaced. At times it still shifts like a high school teen learning how drive a manual transmission.

What Is a CPO?
I haven't found anything in the 2020+ manuals referencing Adaptive Learning for the transmission like they did for earlier model years.
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned

Peter

CPO is Certified Pre-Owned, so it has an extra 12 month 12k bumper to bumper warranty beyond the 3/36 and powertrain warranty extended to 7/100k from in service date. I called another Ford dealer and asked what they thought and they said there are several PCM revisions since 2020 and they have a 50/50 success rate with those. They reccomended bringing to them for the updates first, and if that didn't work, then they'd look at transmission internals. I think I'm going to go that route first.

How about the AC compressor noise, anyone experience that? It's silent with AC off. I did notice there is no underhood sound insulating "blanket" attached to the underside of the hood but there are holes for plastic retainers to support one. Should there be one in place? Maybe that reduces the noise...

How about the AC compressor noise, anyone experience that? It's silent with AC off. I did notice there is no underhood sound insulating "blanket" attached to the underside of the hood but there are holes for plastic retainers to support one. Should there be one in place? Maybe that reduces the noise...
My 2020 Aviator has that. I don't know if perhaps on the Explorer it was trim dependent or not but there is one.

Peter

TSB 23-2250 performed, fingers crossed!​

Got my 2020 XLT back today from dealer, they had it all day only. Paperwork shows this TSB was applied, group C. And I gotta say, I hope it's not too early to say but dang this thing shifts like butter! No hard parts were replaced, they did a PCM update, updated solenoid strategy, a few drive cycles and adaptive learning reset. The drive home had 1 hard shift. Next drive cycle up shifts are all butter, it'd amazing. Slowing down downshifts are a little harsh but got better on the third drive cycle. It's amazing the difference it made!

Service advisor said give it a few hundred miles and if problems persist, they will either replace whole transmission or valve body and solenoids depending on availability. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this software update and relearn is the solution though (they said it fixes the majority of complaints). I had to take the car to a different dealer to get this done, purchasing dealer reset the battery only and then wanted to tear into it without even updating the PCM. I think that was the main fix since this car only has 20k miles on it and there have been several newer PCM revisions since 2020. I'll keep you posted. I attached my service info in case anyone wants all the juicy details.

20231019_163552.jpg

I too had Hope for my 2020 with 3000 miles and several resets and software. Finally dumped it with less than 10,000 and bought the same problem on a new 2021 Limited AWD Hybrid ...after numeorus visits the valve body was replaced 5000 miles ago. I have 17000 miles now and it is better but still a dissapointment for a $55,000 vehicle.

Back