What Is This Noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Is This Noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brake pad warning clip

Bad bearing?

Bad bearing?

I sure hope not, I just replaced that bearing on 02/24/2020 with a SKF.

Warped brake rotor and a bent dust shield bent towards the rotor.

I will check this. I need to not be lazy and actually pull the caliper and rotor off then turn it and see if it still makes the sound. If it still makes it with no rotor installed that only leaves the wheel bearing :-(

I sure hope not, I just replaced that bearing on 02/24/2020 with a SKF.

I will check this. I need to not be lazy and actually pull the caliper and rotor off then turn it and see if it still makes the sound. If it still makes it with no rotor installed that only leaves the wheel bearing :-(
At least pull the wheel off so you can get eyeballs on stuff.

Something is rubbing or getting hung up! Eyes or camera on the inside of wheel while rotating, might find the culprit. and some sort of stethoscope maybe. My best guess.

Kinda sounds like The Cryptkeeper, just sayin'!

Well I removed the rotor and it still makes the noise.

Also removed the axle nut. The shaft slides freely (I always grease them when installing).

Still makes the noise.

That only leaves the wheel bearing or the CV joint which the axle is less than a year old.

BTW the noise started after hitting a pot hole. Roads here are horrid.

I'll keep driving it for now, it's perfectly tight still.

I'll probably just replace the whole assembly this time since the price has come down due to more manufactures offering them.

Well after driving it today the noise went away after being louder for about a mile. Re-torquing the axle nut must have done something.

Does anyone know if the end of the axle shaft right before the threads is supposed to be flush with the hub or not? There is about a 1/8" gap between the end of the splines and the hub on mine. I'm wondering if the hub is not pressed on all the way.

Yea its normal
Need to have some space to tighten up the nut
If it was flush the nut would just tighten up to the axle shaft

Wheel bearing is going. When you tightened the nut it pinched the bearing and shifted it slightly. You have delayed the inevitable, and probably not for long.

Wheel bearing is going. When you tightened the nut it pinched the bearing and shifted it slightly. You have delayed the inevitable, and probably not for long.

Odd that a SKF would only last 2 years and 9 months / and only 11,000 miles.

That pothole you mentioned...

Odd that a SKF would only last 2 years and 9 months / and only 11,000 miles.
Considering everything you said, I can't think what else it could be. I don't think a CV joint can make that sound. Also, I have seen plenty of quality parts go short lived. I would have suggested trying to wiggle the wheel to see if the bearing was noticeably bad, but I didn't see this until after you did your tests. I assume you already tried that anyway. Best of luck to you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back