What is your opinion about this Continental POLY-V Belt & Tensioner Kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is your opinion about this Continental POLY-V Belt & Tensioner Kit?

Lukas2009

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer V6
I'm thinking about replacing these parts on my 2007 V6 Explorer at about 100,000 miles.
Has anyone already installed such a kit and can tell me if it's worth buying it?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cel-k49250b

32644837xv.jpg

32644879gd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed this belt in November 2016, no issues since then. You don't really need to replace the tensioner unless it's loose or shows signs of wear. I happened to replace mine at the same time as the belt, and I used Gates. This kit seems a bit pricey

I installed this belt in November 2016, no issues since then. You don't really need to replace the tensioner unless it's loose or shows signs of wear. I happened to replace mine at the same time as the belt, and I used Gates. This kit seems a bit pricey
Honestly though, the 2 4L sohc’s I have had the last 8 years new and old always had an idler pully and tensioner go out every 50k-115k. Assuming the OP hasn’t done any of them it’s probaly time.

Just changed my belt, the tensioner pulley (only), and the grooved idler pulley on my v8, and $ 67 for those 3 items is not that bad, I'd say just right.
I also had my son do that on his v6 and the v6 is such an easy job, the v8 is a mess when you do it once in a moon. V8 has 3 idler pulleys and the tensioner, and no room in the front.

V6 just 1 idler and tensioner, and plenty of room all around.

This exact kit is $52 on rockauto right now

How do you know when you need it? 2006, 185k miles and all OEM (except maybe the belt).

How do you know when you need it? 2006, 185k miles and all OEM (except maybe the belt).
In my case my engine made some of the worst noises I have ever heard.

In my case my engine made some of the worst noises I have ever heard.
And here all this time I thought that 'making the worst noises I ever heard' was common for Explorer engines :laugh:

And here all this time I thought that 'making the worst noises I ever heard' was common for Explorer engines :laugh:
Hey haha... this was award winning by explorer standards.... so REALLY bad. I remember sitting there with the key in my ignition thinking to myself “this is bad, this is really really bad”. All of that coming from someone who has only ever owned late model explorers.

Hey haha... this was award winning by explorer standards....
When I fix a noise on my Explorer it says - "You were lucky - figure THIS one out!"!

I think my 4.6L is a sentient being.

It lives solely to challenge me.

Sometimes I want to just stop working on it. Should be fine since it's whole being is wrapped up in making me work on it. So that means it will continue to live if for no other reason than to challenge me.

How can I lose?

:thumbsup:

Back