what kind of gas milage is your 91-94 getting??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what kind of gas milage is your 91-94 getting???

80% highway driving to work and back, 55-58mph with the price of gas lately. 17 to 18 mpg, but mpg will drop in the coming cooler weather. Slowing down has given me about 1 to 1.5 mpg. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

15 city/ 19 highway, but thats with 35's and 4.56's

91 XL 4x4 / 260K miles / 3.55 gears / A4LD

about 18mpg hwy

no idea city, as there are no milemarkers to keep track - apparantly the stock tiresize for the 91 was 225/75 and I'm running 235/75, which makes my odo/speedo read about 5-7% low, so I use milemarkers on the hwy to try to keep track of distance travelled.

My milage should be going up shortly, as I'm getting some service done to my truck today - tranny service, coolant, wheel bearings. next weekend, I'll be changing the f/r differential gear oil and xfer case oil, and hopefully installing a remote trans filter, which should all help with milage(even a slight increase would be good)

95 XLT 4x4, 96k miles, 3.55 gears. I get around 18-19. Most driving is highway, 5 miles gets me on and off the highway (one way) 20 miles on highway (one way). I run 255/75 15's no lift, no drop jus tthe usually ass slack.

CRAP stock gears and 35s. But its not my dd so i really dont spend much money on driving it. When i drove it on 34s i would get around 10 mpg city or highway.

2ng gen 4.0 OHV, 4x4 and 3.73 w/trac-loc. KKM intake with flowmaster force flow. with my xterrain 33's i get right around 10mpg with my 30" bfg at radials on stock rims i get about 16. mostly to school and back, some highway. 5.5" superlift going in tommorow, we will see if it changes any. hopefully im going to 4.10's or 4.30's VERY soon.

After seeing these numbers I know my Explorer is performing how it should be in the MPG department. My gauge doesn't work on my '94 Explorer sport (probably the float is cracked and full of fuel since it always reads empty) so I reset the trip meter when I fill it up and I refill at 250 miles. At 250 miles it takes 12 to 12 and 1/2 gallons to fill it up. If my math is right, thats about 20 - 21 MPG. Not too shabby.

24mpg, 25mpg if really watch my foot. 90% Interstate. This a twice 15-20 tank average not a one time deal.

94 sport 4x4
11mpg city/hills short highway into town
48 hours+1 tank gas=horrible

94 Limited 4x4,auto, bone stock, 63K miles. I average 16/city and 20/freeway.

94 2door, M5OD manual tranny, 3:73s, 32BFGs
w/ 175,500 on the engine.

Tires run at 28/26psi front/rear summer and 32/30 winter
In town: 14-16 depending on how heavy my foot is :D

Trips at 34/32psi
Highway:
65-69mph @2100-2250rpms a/c off, windows down...17.5-17.9mpg
70-75mph @2300-2500rpms a/c off...17.2-17.5mpg
80+mph @2700-3000rpms ...15.2-16mgg
with a/c off and windows up I can get up to 18.4 if I stay between 65-69mph

65-69mph with a/c on...16.9-17.5
70-75mph with a/c on...16.9 is avg.
Pulling my 24' travel trailer 11-13mpg.. 4th gear @65mph

Keep in mind when traveling I usually carry an extra 600-700lbs of weight including cloths,food,tools,spare parts, jack, and other essentials in case of unforseen problems.
all in all, highway driving (which I do a lot of) is between 16-18mpg depending on speed, wind, and terrain. Most interstates the posted speed is 75mph once your out of city limits. This means I drive an avg speed of 80mph so my mpg is usually on the lower side of 15-16mpg. When trying to conserve money/gas or I have the time to spare I'll drive 70mph and usually stay right between 17-18mpgs.

I have tested many theories such as inflating tires, a/c, windows down, load, and other such things. All contribute to some degree but none more than 1mpg in difference.
The one that has the least effect seems to be tire inflation. When I go up to 39/37psi I see less than a .5 increase in mpg which IMO, does not outweigh the added tire wear, not to mention ride quality from over-inflation.

My next test (which I have been dying to try) is removal of my safari rack. This rack includes 4 daylighters at the front, a highlift jack, and my spare tire. I have a strong feeling that the added wind drag from this set-up effects by at least 2mpg.

I just made a Trip from LAX to Wrightwood, in the San Bernardino Mts 20 miles west of Victorville. The Explorer was loaded full of supplies and 2 other adults besides myself. Mountains, long up hill climbs etc. On the round trip I averaged 18.14MPG. Pretty good considering I sat parked on the 10 (I-10 for those not from socal) for about 30 mins while an accident was cleared.

as far as i can figure i get around 12-13 around town and 16-17 highway, thats with a carbd 351 315/75s and 3.50 gears.... i also get into the throttle quite a bit because i love the sound and i love the kick down

'94 explorer sport = ~16 mpg city

manual tranny
3.27 gears
31" tires
very heavy foot

92 35's and 4:56 gears, 188xxx miles
When i had the 33's on i got between 11.5-13 mpg
I hope since i am geared right for the 35's i should get about the same.
But that will all change since i am running out of things to do to it, so i will be swapping in a 351 and a better trans! on my 3 trans in 5 months.

97 awd 4x4 16 city,20/21 hwy <----hwy was from vegas up to yellowstone not to bad since the drive was mostly up hill and i know i'm a 97 not 91-94

dang yall get way better mileage than me and i try to watch my foot alot!! got 15 the other day and i was excited...mostly city though so thats not too bad. looks like ill get over 300 miles out of this tank with mostly highway driving

my self levaling suspention light comes after about 10 miles eny one no why

i think i have the worst of all i got gas today and put 17.4 gal's in it and i had only drove it 169miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a (first gen) '94 FORD Explorer with 4.0L ohv, 4x4, 4dr, auto trans, 3.27 gears, and P235/75R15 tires (34 psi), no modifications at all. It has 140K on the odometer. Factory says it's a 19 gal. tank. I use regular Dino oil and reg. unleaded gas.

We went on a long trip, from Vancouver, WA to Anahiem, CA.......it's alittle shy of 1000 miles (one way)......I did most of the driving, w/ my wife and 8 yr old in the vehicle.....she would drive when I got tired. I got onto the freeway (I-205) and it was a straight shot to I-5 all the way down to CA. Same route back. Minor side trips off the freeway to fill gas or shop at stores (just off freeway). Took about 17 hrs. one way. Total average MPG for the entire trip was 18.549 MPG.

Observations:

I noticed that on the trip to CA I got terrible gas mileage (maybe the vehicle was resisting going to CA or the head winds). Anyway, I got an average of 16.97 MPG......and the computer did show a "check engine light" just past Sacramento, CA to Anahiem, CA.......it would go off and on and off and on, again......don't have a reader (BTW, on the trip back it activated only once).

On the trip from CA, back home to Vancouver,WA.....I averaged 20.05 MPG.

There were two times of the trip back where I got 21.39 and 21.40 MPGs (CA valley area/70 - 75 MPH).......that same area on the way to CA I got an average 16.23 MPG (maybe the head winds?). And, on the way back I did have to use 4x4 once when I was at Mt. Shasta (caught in the snow). Going up Mt. Shasta and most of the way back, was in the rain. On the way to CA it was mostly dry when I hit the CA border.

There are some folks here, that say their vehicle USED to average about 300 miles or so when the gauge was at 1/4 tank....that is actually good. Though, IF I had a broken gauge, I wouldn't trust that method to calculate when I needed to re-fill my tank.....not after seeing the MPGs on my vehicle go from a low of 15.11 MPG to a high of 21.40 MPG.

Oh.......TOTAL cost in gas for the entire trip.....$263. The most expensive gas was in CA and cheapest was in OR........I've seen reg. unleaded priced as high as $2.89 in CA (in Anahiem I found $2.37) and as low as $1.95 in OR.

As for the "check engine light" on the way to CA. I figure that the loooong drive w/o a long cool down may have contributed......or maybe it was the cruise control set at 75MPH, or the head winds that made it harder for the engine to pull the vehicle? On the way back home I didn't use the cruise control......and the "check engine light" activated once (early in the trip).......as for "head winds" comment (no science to the comment)......it just felt like the vehicle rolled alot better when going home to WA.

Sorry......don't want to HI-JACK this post but, I figured that I could add my .02 observations......from the perspective of a stock first generation (areo dynamics of a shoe box) '94 FORD Explorer with 4.0L ohv, 4x4, 4dr, auto trans, 3.27 gears, and P235/75R15 tires.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......When going over the mountains......this vehicle is a "dog." If I had known before the purchase that it would be that hard to keep a reasonable speed (55-60 MPH) going up what is about a 5-6% grade (that is what the sign says going down) I would have gone with MORE HP (another vehicle). The 4.0L ohv (at 160 HP) in this vehicle doesn't cut it........you have to floor it just to maintain the speed while going uphill (mountain).........but, traveling around town (flat areas) it's OK.

Back