What rim size will fit '91 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What rim size will fit '91 Explorer

Hi,

I have standard 15x7 rims on my Explorer but am looking for a second set of rims to put my winter-tires on.
I live in norway and even the cheapest new rims cost at least $200 so I am looking for some used rims.

Guess what. These are not easy to find and to make my search a little easier I was hoping that other size rims would also fit. For example 16" ???

Anyone can give me some info as to what rims I could consider.

Thanks in advance !
regards Jack, from an icy and snowy Norway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A variety of sizes will fit.
You should worry about the bolt pattern of the wheels you are getting. Ours are a 5 x (114.3mm or 4.5")pattern Also, (assuming you have 4x4) you need to find a wheel that has an opening that will let your front hub stick through. Good luck with your hunt

Are you talking $200 per rim or 200 for the set? If it's $200 per rim, you could probably order some on-line and then have them shipped for a lot less than that. You can get four new black 15 x 7 rims from Dead Link Removed for just under $200 for the set before shipping.

Rims

Thanks for that but I had kind of hoped to narrow it down a little. Scrolling down the forum there are many topics with people talking about "rubbing" and so.
How do I avoid this. Is there a max or min rim size ? It it the 15 or the 7 in "15x7" that may be varied. or can both be different i.e. can I go up to 16 or 17 without creating trouble ??
I know my question may sound rather silly but I am a bit of a novice when it comes to cars :-(

JDraper, thanks for the info.
Yes, I am talking $200 per wheel :-(
Looking at the summit site, which brand wheels were you referring to ?

What 15 x 7 means:15 is the rim diameter in inches and 7 is the width of the rim. Backspacing and bolt pattern are also needed to buy rims. Backspacing is how far the mounting surface is from the rear of the rim (in most cases. Some metric measurements do it from centerline of the rim), and bolt pattern is how far apart the lug nuts are. The explorer has a 5 bolt on 4.5" bolt circle pattern for the lug nuts. You can vary all #'s but the bolt pattern but you will find some combos don't work too well. For winter tires, I'd stick to a 7" or 8" wide rim with backspacing in the 3"-4" range. You can go anywhere betwen 15" and 20" for the diameter, but I'd stick to 15"-17" for the most cost effective tire/rim combos. For the tires not to rub, you will probably want to stay with tires no bigger than about 31" in total height, and 10.5" in width.

American Racing AR-767 Wheels are what I was referring to. ARE-7675765 is the part # for the 15 x 7 wheel that will fit your truck.

fantastic..

..forum with very helpful members !
thanks
Jack

I got the Mickey Thompson classic II's for $100/rim.

Jdraper,
I found a set of 15x7 fitted to a Cherokee. Boltpattern 5x4.5" and 35mm (1.4") backspacing. Do you reckon these fit or will they cause a problem ??
thanks for your help !
Jack

Depends upon how the backspacing is specified. Some manufacturers spec it as the distance the mounting plate is offset from the wheel center, and others spec it as the distance offset from the rear of the rim. If it's a 1.4" offset from the rear of the rim, they're gonna stick out a ways. If it's 1.4 off the center, that might be about right. The info I gave above was for offset from the back of the rim.

Back