what size for 16"rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what size for 16"rims?

i'm doing shackles and leaf swap next weekend and was wondering the max tire size will fit my stock 16" rims. i'll do about 1.5" tt but get confused on tire sizes since i have 16's. please tell me the metric sise or "lt" size. also can i get bigger ties and more ground clearance with 15's. thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what will fit. I do know that (supposedly) my 255/70/R16s are 30.1" X 10" if that gives you an idea of sizes.

There are links to conversion charts posted here somewhere, but I don't know where. Try a search for one.

thats what im runnin' now too, but i want "31"" tires but i haven't seen 31 10.50 16, ya know. i'll keep lookin'. thanks anyway.

No...they are all listed as metric once you hit 16". Thats annoying.

Try this one. click here

I still don't know what will fit though.

hey thanks!!! thats great. 265 75 16, maybe 285's, we'll see, they're 32's.

when i measured my 255/70/16 they came out to about 30"...sometimes i wish my truck had 15" wheels but i sure do like my chrome wheels

Browse through the Tire Rack's tires, and their specs. You can quickly alter the sizes, and see what the resulting diameters, widths will be.

A rule of thumb is; for every 10mm in width change you make, you will gain or lose 1/2" in diameter. And for every 5% change in series(65,70, 75,etc.) that you make, the diameter will change by an inch.

The stock 15" Explorer tires are 29" tall, and the stock 16" tires are 30" tall. Good luck,
Don

265/75/16 are considered 32's i think. I dont believe you'd be able to fit 285's
here's a pic of my 265/75/16's

newtire.jpg

31.6"

265x.75(x2)/25.4+16=31.649"

Or, 255/70/16 stock tire is 30.1" tall, adding 10mm adds 1/2", and going up 5% in series adds 1 inch, meaning 30.1+0.5+1=31.6"

My estimates do work, good luck,
Don

I've been looking at tires for my 98 explorer sport and was considering 275/70 BFG All-Terrains. I was wondering if this setup would have any potential of rubbing. I will be doing warrior shackles, 4dr leaf springs, and a torsion twist lift at the same time as the new tires.

MDPuckett84 said:
......here's a pic of my 265/75/16's

Do those fit on a stock vehicle (no lift) and don't rub? If so, thats the size I will look for when I start shopping.

Thanks,
Brian_B

Brian_B said:
Do those fit on a stock vehicle (no lift) and don't rub? If so, thats the size I will look for when I start shopping.

Thanks,
Brian_B

I dont have stock rims so i dont know if the width is an issue (mine are 16x8) and i had to do alittle trimming on the plastic bumper. Also, my explorer is lifted with a tt and shackles. just looking i think they'd fit on a stock explorer but they'd bottom out pretty quick.

I see. Thats good to know. My 01 came stock with the 255/70/16s. I had assumed I could go one size larger, but I guess not.

The stock 16's are 30" in diameter. That 265/75/16 is 1.5" taller, 3/4" LESS clearance to the fenders, etc.

Back