• Register Today It's free!

What transfer case fluid on 99?

Dovii

Reaction score
City, State
Melrose, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I have a 99 XLT 5.0 with AWD and I wanted to change the transfer case fluid.

I changed the transmission fluid and I got Mercon V from the Ford dealer and planned to change the transfer case as well.

However, on the bottle on Mercon V, it states "Do not use on transfer cases."

I went back to the Ford dealer and asked what I should use instead. They told me to use the Mercon V because that is what they do.

I told them it says "Do not use on transfer cases," but they told me to ignore that.

So, what do I do? Listen to them and ignore what Ford tells me, or use something else? If use something else, what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your owners manual calls for regular Mercon, which is what I have used because it is cheaper than Mercon V. Also, they rolled out of the factory with Mercon and there were no recalls to swap it to Mercon V. If you have Mercon V it seems highly likely it would be okay as it was supposed to be back engineered for all Mercon applications. There was a thread about this a few months ago you can search for and I think some will swear by Mercon and others will swear by Mercon V, so take your pick.

Your owners manual calls for regular Mercon, which is what I have used because it is cheaper than Mercon V. Also, they rolled out of the factory with Mercon and there were no recalls to swap it to Mercon V. If you have Mercon V it seems highly likely it would be okay as it was supposed to be back engineered for all Mercon applications. There was a thread about this a few months ago you can search for and I think some will swear by Mercon and others will swear by Mercon V, so take your pick.

In the owner's manual, it says Mercon V for the transmission, but Mercon -type fluid for transfer case. That's why I'm suspicious because if it wanted you to use Mercon V, I would think it would say so.

What makes me really concerned about using Mercon V is that it says "Do not use in transfer cases." I would hate to learn a valuable lesson about heeding a explicit warning.

I asked the Ford dealer what he had in the way of regular Mercon fluid and he produced a Mercon SP and an LV. I asked them what they are for and he said the LV is low viscosity and the SP is in specialized applications. That didn't help me at all. No regular Mercon at all.

Crack open that owners manual and go by that. I believe it's ATF.

Yes, I know Mercon and Mercon V is automatic transmission fluid. I'm trying to figure out which one.

The owner's manual says Mercon V for the transmission and Mercon-type fluid for transfer case. Yes, I did read the owner's manual.

The current ford specs for awd transfer cases is XL-12, ask them if they have that.

Dex/Merc or XL12 like crunchie mentioned is fine, don't use the MercV except in the transmission of course.

That warning is probably meant for transfer cases that use clutch packs, not the 4404 you have.

The 4404 doesn't have any clutches. The fluid is only serving as a light lubricating oil. There are no hydraulics or pumps. Just a few gears, some roller bearings, and a chain. There's nothing that Mercon V can hurt in there.

Mercon V and Dex/Merc are very close in viscosity. Mercon V is a superior fluid overall. Either one should be fine.

I just use Dex/Merc. That's what it left the factory with. You could prbly use Merc V, but why spend the extra $ on it, when it's not required.

Back