Driveway flexing!
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
I am prepping my 97 Monsterneer for a few thousand mile road trip. I like using Mobil 1 motor oil in all my rigs. The Monster does have a good amount of miles on the motor, about 160K if memory servs. Still, it doesn't seem to use/leak oil and the motor sounds goor and tight and has good power.

So I go to wally world to buy some 10W40 Mobil 1 and find that since the last time I stocked up on Mobil 1 that there are now several "types" of Mobil 1. One of the types is for high millage (not to be confused with economy ;) ) vehicles. So that sounds right, but it only comes in 5W30

I know that the thinner motor oil will help with fuel millage, god knows I can use some help there. The main question is how thin can you take a 160K miles 5.0? They have 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 and I even saw a 10W50. Like I said I normally go for the 10W40, but I am willing to try something thinner like 5w20 or 5w30 as long as I get a good vib from this thread.

Let the opinions fly!

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 97 has close to 200k, and I use 5w30 with no issues. Without going into a debate on oil weight, if the vehicle isn't unreasonably using oil (and I would consider a quart between 5000 mile changes reasonable) I would want the freer-flowing 5w to ensure the oil gets to where it needs to be quickly on cold starts (which is where most of your wear comes from).

Bill

You should never run 10w40 in your car. 10 weight is too thick for startup, especially in the winter, and 40 weight is too thick for operating conditions after everything has expanded, especially when the engine is under stress. Sure, 10w40 will fix low oil pressure issues, but... that just means there is more oil pressure at the sensor. You are getting less oil between surfaces.

215k on mine, and it has gotten 5w20 or 5w30 its whole life.

Always ran 0W-30 in my 5.0. No troubles up to 110k.

Wow, this is the type of input I was looking for. I just may have to try some of these thinner oils and see how it goes.

You should never run 10w40 in your car.

It might be too thick for your winter up there next to the north pole, but down here in the swamp, or in CA where the OP is, it'd would work just fine.

Right now I'm running Delo 15w-40 HDEO in my 4.0 SOHC Explorer, and I'd probably use the same in a 5.0 Ex if I still had one.

195K on mine...always use 5w30 (sometimes synthetic sometimes not) with no issues

I have a 99 explorer 5.0l with 196,000 miles and I use mobile one 5-30w oil full synthetic with no problems.. Also have a 01 explorer 4.0l with 240,000 miles on it and used 5-30w with not problems except I blew the timing cassette and it was cheaper to find another motor ..
Remember ford recommends that you use synthetic blend in there motors..

It might be too thick for your winter up there next to the north pole, but down here in the swamp, or in CA where the OP is, it'd would work just fine.

Right now I'm running Delo 15w-40 HDEO in my 4.0 SOHC Explorer, and I'd probably use the same in a 5.0 Ex if I still had one.

Well, I'm glad you hate your engine. I'll stick to listening to Ford engineers though.

My truck sees temps that range from -20 in the winter to highs as high as 109 in the summer, without ever having to leave the state. But, considering that the operating temperature of my engine in South Dakota is the same as the operating temperature of your engine in the swamp, the only difference our engines ever see is on start up. In fact, my fan controller doesn't even turn my fan on until the coolant hits 205-210.

Hmmm, I am thinking that maybe this would make a good poll. "What weight/type motor oil do you normally run in your 5.0?"

I live in Wisconsin. In my 4.0 92, I always ran 10W30. There isn't much difference between 5w and 10w. That was through all the nasty winters I drove that thing through. I never had a problem with oil pressure or anything.

In my 96 5.0 with 169K on the clock, i run 5W30. I've tried different oil in a bunch of my cars, and the only think I WILL NOT RUN is any penzoil product.

Full synthetic is a good choice if you don't have leaks. Best Ive found for my 5.0 to run is quaker state 5w30. I wouldnt hesitate to run 10W30 even up here in the winter time though.

I live in Wisconsin. In my 4.0 92, I always ran 10W30. There isn't much difference between 5w and 10w. That was through all the nasty winters I drove that thing through. I never had a problem with oil pressure or anything.

In my 96 5.0 with 169K on the clock, i run 5W30. I've tried different oil in a bunch of my cars, and the only think I WILL NOT RUN is any penzoil product.

Full synthetic is a good choice if you don't have leaks. Best Ive found for my 5.0 to run is quaker state 5w30. I wouldnt hesitate to run 10W30 even up here in the winter time though.

Quaker State is a Penzoil product... They merged in the 90s... then Shell bought Penzoil-Quaker State in 02, and now it is all SOPUS.

I'll stick to listening to Ford engineers though.

LOL!

Listen to the idiot engineers at Ford if you'd like.

Just remember, those are the same guys who gave us the inane SOHC timing system, head-gasket-eating 3.8's, "lubricated for life" ball joints that die after 75k, and the glorious MFT (just to name a few of their more notable engineering blunders).

I run 5W40 Rotella T6 in both my Explorer 193k and my VW TDI Diesel 275k. I have owned the VW since it had 86k.

LOL!

Listen to the idiot engineers at Ford if you'd like.

Just remember, those are the same guys who gave us the inane SOHC timing system, head-gasket-eating 3.8's, "lubricated for life" ball joints that die after 75k, and the glorious MFT (just to name a few of their more notable engineering blunders).

And which great engine did you design that provides you with better credentials?

Ford engineers also gave us the bulletproof 8.8 axle, the 302 engine, the Cobra, and the glorious Raptor (just to name a few of their more notable engineering successes).

The 5.0 was designed to be run with 5W30, not diesel engine oil. I'll take Fords' word (backed up by extensive testing by professional engineers and technicians) over some idiot bubba from florida any day.

5W-30 Full Synthetic Since I have owned the truck, no issues what so ever. I do Use Valvoline though, but switching to Amsoil the Next change.

The 5.0 was designed to be run with 5W30, not diesel engine oil. I'll take Fords' word (backed up by extensive testing by professional engineers and technicians) over some idiot bubba from florida any day.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, you know Ford recommends 5w-20 in the 5.0 Explorer and Mountaineer, not 5w-30, right?

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, you know Ford recommends 5w-20 in the 5.0 Explorer and Mountaineer, not 5w-30, right?

Ummm the emissions sticker on the radiator support of my 5.0 clearly says 5w30 in 24 point boldface type

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Around '02 or so, Ford did send out a TSB back-spec'ing 5W-20 for a lot of the engines that originally called for 5W-30, including the 5.0L V8 and 4.0L OHV V6 (but not the SOHC).

Back