What would cause outer tire tread to wear faster than inner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would cause outer tire tread to wear faster than inner?

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi all, I've had my tires for about a year now, as I remember I got them for winter last year. They cost me around $800 and still have plenty of life on them. However I've been noticing that the outer tread appears to be wearing much faster than the middle and inner tread. What are the potential causes of this, the manual says worn suspension parts but that's vague. I've looked around and did some tests and everything seems to be in good repair, could it be a wheel balance issue? Around 60mph there is a defined wobble no matter what road I'm on and what direction the wheels are turned. I've had that before and it turned out to be balance so just putting those to together here?

Also, when braking and going slow (coming to a stop) (not sure if it happens when not braking), I can feel a very slight bump, almost like the truck is going over a separation in the asphalt on the road, but it's not. It's very discreet and probably not noticeable unless I'm feeling for it, but what could that be? I know none of my rims are bent or dented, and I know I don't feel it a higher speeds so I don't think it's a bearing issue.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low tire pressure and hard turns would be one thing. An alignment issue another.

When you get new tires, get the wheel alignment checked as well. Then, rotate them every 5k miles.

Get the alignment checked ASAP and to save your tires get a rim flip rotation done to put the worn side on the insides and do a cross rotation.

Very rarely ever make hard turns, truck steers like a tank for some reason so can't really do those. The truck slightly veers to the right, but it's nothing that would seem like an alignment issue (only does it sometimes on certain roads, other times it's less pronounced. It did this even after a 4 wheel alignment as well) I had it aligned at the point I got new tires. I'm going to have a wheel balance done and another alignment after I replace my tie rod ends since the boots aren't looking so good.

What tire pressure do you run? What brand tire?

I've been running around 32 I believe, but come to think of it I remember running 35 in the past, maybe that's all it is! Thanks. They're hankooks

tires wearing on the outside edges and not the middle is from under inflation. Tires wearing in the center, but not the outside is from over inflation. Tires wearing on only one side, or any other odd thing would be alignment

Back