What would you do with a free tailgate? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would you do with a free tailgate?

NewTrac17

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4X4
A friend is giving me a free tailgate for my truck next week and I'm not sure what to do to it. I can keep it as a spare, but I am trying to come up with other ideas. Maybe bolt a jeep tire carrier to it and reinforce the inside of the tailgate? :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fold down seat in the garage.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Make a bench out of it.

Lol I didn't expect those answers haha. Cool ideas tho, but I sort of wanted to try new things on this tailgate instead of damaging my oem one.

If you want to make it useful on your truck, maybe make it swing out like a gate, instead of drop down?

That is if you're willing to lose the extender too....

Install some beer taps to it :) Then paint it with your favorite team's colors/logo, and it's your new tailgating tailgate!

LOL that's hilarious! I'm underage though haha :dpchug:

Great ideas guys! Keep them coming!

Whatever you do I would treat the bottom lip inside/outside, I guess only if it shows signs of rust. Or swap them out depending on which is the best condition.

Wow, at that price tag!

When I had a firebird with T-tops, I was wanting to get ahold of some frames and put sheet steel where the glass was to make a removable roof rack.

You might consider using this gate for something that you want to use intermittently, like mount 2 jerry-cans to it, but not have them always on the tail gate...

I like Tom's idea. I know a couple guys over on the tacomaworld forum that have done that. Always a conversation starter and you get tons of funny looks from people passing buy. LOL

Back