What's towing capacity of a first gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's towing capacity of a first gen?

bipolarbob

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna,British Columbia,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
No, I didn't use the search, don't want to, allways get like 500 items to search.I have a 91 with a rebuilt A4ld, a shift kit, an inline filter, 2 aux coolers and a B&M temp gauge.I am running 33's.Want to tow a trailer for work (a lot) that is 4200 lbs......input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what kind of gears are you running in the axles? I have 4.10 gears, and it is no problem for that.

I was towing a 20' boat (about 3000# total boat /trailer combo) and even with the tranny cooler, the heat of towing in the summertime finally took it's toll on the A4LD. Even with transmission service intervals @20,000 miles, the towing just eats up the transmission. The 4.0 engine would work it's heart out to keep up speed, and if I ran the A/C, it would take just about 3/4 throttle to stay moving @55 mph, and I live in the flatlands of South Jersey. I have 31 x 10.50's with 3.83's and run a auxilary trans cooler that has a fan on it, and still had troubles over the long run.

That would be a lot to pull unless you are using 4.56's or higher numericaly. Would wipe out your tranny if nothing else. What is your gear ratio?

Don't know.Is there a way to tell besides the counting rotation thing?

sure there is Dead Link Removed there is a bunch of threads on it. However, if you dont know what it is then there is no way you should tow with 33's. Shouldnt even run that tire size without lower gears than stock. Your possible ratio's are 3.27 3.55 and 3.73. Even with 3.73's my X didnt tow that well with 31 inch tires.

Back