• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Bearing Problems???

rustynuts47

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta,
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I have a 2000 explorer XLS and there is a loud noise coming from the front end. It sounds like typical tire/road noise but much much louder. It's been snowing up here and I've been putting it in 4 WD high and thought maybe because of the cold weather that it was stuck in 4WD high. But I then noticed that when I turned right the sound goes away. Could this mean it's my wheel bearings? I know it's nothing in the engine because when I put it in neutral and shut off the engine the noise is still there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only way to check is to jack the car up and rotate the tire. If you feel resistance or groaning there could be hub or halfshafts. Keep the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and check for side to side freeplay. If there is a free play the bearing is most probably shot. from the symptoms you describe it is most probably bearing. What is strange that noise disappears when turning. Questions ?? turning both directions ??

I have a 91 Explorer with the same symptoms. When I turn right enough to take some weight off the right front tire, the noise goes away or is greatly reduced. It is the bearings in my case. This has happened to me before. The inner chase of the inner bearing begins to rotate on the spindle. Tightening the bearings will helps short term, but in my case it was only a temporary fix. Eventually the inner chase will wear into the spindle. I had to replace the spindle.

Unfortunately the problem is back again, so it's time to do something about it before I need another spindle. I bought a new set of bearings and replaced them. The problem went away, but slowly came back again . . . but there was something different about these bearing from the start.

I have owned this Explorer since it was new and have nearly 250K miles on it now. I have replaced the front bearings before and was always sold two different bearings -- meaning the inner bearing is different than the outer bearing. Now when I go to buy the bearings I am told that they are only listing one bearing, so they sell me the same bearing for the inner bearing as they do for the outer. I've been to two stores and both have told me the same thing. I am wondering if there is supposed to be a difference (although I never could physically tell a difference) between the inner and outer bearings, and by using the same bearing for both inner and outer, is that causing this problem now? Anyone know if the inner and outer bearings are supposed to be two different bearings? Does anyone know how to keep that inner chase from turning on the spindle? It wore right into the first spindle to where I could not get the bearing off . . . the inner chase would rotate on the spindle, but in would not come off.

I have a 91 Explorer with the same symptoms. When I turn right enough to take some weight off the right front tire, the noise goes away or is greatly reduced. It is the bearings in my case. This has happened to me before. The inner chase of the inner bearing begins to rotate on the spindle. Tightening the bearings will helps short term, but in my case it was only a temporary fix. Eventually the inner chase will wear into the spindle. I had to replace the spindle.

Unfortunately the problem is back again, so it's time to do something about it before I need another spindle. I bought a new set of bearings and replaced them. The problem went away, but slowly came back again . . . but there was something different about these bearing from the start.

I have owned this Explorer since it was new and have nearly 250K miles on it now. I have replaced the front bearings before and was always sold two different bearings -- meaning the inner bearing is different than the outer bearing. Now when I go to buy the bearings I am told that they are only listing one bearing, so they sell me the same bearing for the inner bearing as they do for the outer. I've been to two stores and both have told me the same thing. I am wondering if there is supposed to be a difference (although I never could physically tell a difference) between the inner and outer bearings, and by using the same bearing for both inner and outer, is that causing this problem now? Anyone know if the inner and outer bearings are supposed to be two different bearings? Does anyone know how to keep that inner chase from turning on the spindle? It wore right into the first spindle to where I could not get the bearing off . . . the inner chase would rotate on the spindle, but in would not come off.

the bearings are the same inner and outer, always have been. either you are way overtightening the bearings or running them too loose. overtightening will seize the inner bearing spinning the race and ruining the spindle. too loose the wheel will wobble and the banging against the bearing race will again ruin the spindle. try some good quality timken bearings and set the preload right. they should be a slip fit on the spindle, not loose, and not hammer on tight. i seem to eat the outer bearings about every 20k but that is due to the way larger tires i run. i have never had a spindle problem in 185k:thumbsup:

I have a 2000 explorer XLS and there is a loud noise coming from the front end. It sounds like typical tire/road noise but much much louder. It's been snowing up here and I've been putting it in 4 WD high and thought maybe because of the cold weather that it was stuck in 4WD high. But I then noticed that when I turned right the sound goes away. Could this mean it's my wheel bearings? I know it's nothing in the engine because when I put it in neutral and shut off the engine the noise is still there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Classic sign of bad bearings. do the test described above to find the bad one and replace.

Thanks Goliath! I followed the prescribed 35 ft. lbs. while rotating, back off 1/4 turn, tighten to 16 inch pounds, then tighten to the nearest slot for the retainer. I doubt they are too tight. I'll go through the process again and see how it goes.

I must be nuts, because I'm certain NAPA sold me two different bearings back in 98 for inner and outer. Anyway, thanks for confirming that they are the same bearings.

Thanks Goliath! I followed the prescribed 35 ft. lbs. while rotating, back off 1/4 turn, tighten to 16 inch pounds, then tighten to the nearest slot for the retainer. I doubt they are too tight. I'll go through the process again and see how it goes.

I must be nuts, because I'm certain NAPA sold me two different bearings back in 98 for inner and outer. Anyway, thanks for confirming that they are the same bearings.

check the preload again after 100 miles, you will find them loose. that is why you are killing bearings. they losen up as they run in. bearings on these trucks are very fussy about having the right preload because the bearings are too close together in the hub by design. Most on here will reccomend 20 inch pounds preload just from past experience servicing these trucks. Get quality bearings, not the cheap chinese junk. I ate a chinese bearing in 2000 miles, the race wasnt hardened right. spend the extra 5 bucks and get good bearings.

Before rustynuts gets confused, the bearings on second gens are not servicable. You have to replace the entire hub/bearing assembly.

Before rustynuts gets confused, the bearings on second gens are not servicable. You have to replace the entire hub/bearing assembly.

Duh, forgot about that, so its easier to fix(whole unit swap), but way more expensive.

Back