Wheel Bearings from '91 to '94 Different? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Bearings from '91 to '94 Different?

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
After being here a while and reading some threads that seem interesting, I think I read this but not sure. My '91 has 'loose Bearings that come out of the Hub with knock out Races. Did I read correctly that the later first Gens have Sealed Bearings in the Hub?

What else is slightyly different in teh Front end. Auto hubs , are they the same?
What about the trani. Did the '91-'94 have the A4LD or did it change in the later years?

I don't think I've ever read that about a 1994. As far as I know, 91-92-3-94 all use the same bearings up front for the D35 TTB.

I know 91,92,93 are the same.. I haven't personally worked on a 94.

One way to know would be to use autozone.com and have it look up bearings for a 92 explorer and a 94 explorer and make sure they are the same.

~Mark

The sealed bearings you refer to didn't appear until '95 with the 2nd gens. All 1st gens used a Dana 35 TTB front end, and the parts should all be interchangeable (making sure you match gear ratios if you tried using the R&P out of a donor D35).

Auto tranny was always the A4LD. Ford made a few internal modifications over the years to try to strengthen the A4LD, but all 4.0 A4LD's should interchange. If you need info on the internal changes, I'm sure Glacier991 has that information, and some of it's been discussed in the A4LD rebuild diaries.

I'm sure I don't know all the specific little differences between 1st gens. The biggest thing that comes readily to mind is some of the engine management changes. Beyond that, I'm not sure there are many big differences.

Thanks guys.. you answered my questions.. I may have missread in the past.

That's a good thing.. My Brother might be getting a '94 and he was bouncing the idea off of me. If it's Apples to Apples to my '91. I know that I can easily wrench my way around this '94 without saying " Hmmm well that's different" , IF he gets it.

Back