• Register Today It's free!

Where can I find a new gas tank??

srknova74

Reaction score
City, State
Hudsonville, MI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I need a new gas tank for my 94 XLT. Apparently it's plastic and they aren't available anywhere but Ford. What has anyone done about this?? I want a new unit, not used and I don't want to repair it. I read all the relocate stuff and I really don't want to do that either. Does anyone have a line on anything aftermarket or can I convert (fairly easily) to a steel?? Help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your local junk yards. LMC is not that way to go. They list that tank around 700 buck if I recall right.

Go used its just as good.

Go used.

It's Recycling at it's FINEST!!!

There is ZERO issues with a 20 year old Plastic Gas Tank. If it were steel, like the 95+ tanks I would understand your desire to buy new. But Plastic is fine.

Ryan

Actually there is one thing I would look at when getting an old tank. The ring that mounts the sender/pump assembly in is the only steel part of the tank, and can get pretty rusty. So make sure that it will work again.

FWIW though mine was seemingly in bad shape when I replaced the pump but it worked just fine once I cleaned it up some. Looks can be deceiving.

A new one is gonna cost some serious $$. LMC wants like $800.00 for a new tank. Its just plastic, go to the boneyard your wallet will love you.

What is wrong with yours? I guessed it bounced to hard on a rock or something.

Well - good advice here. I got to looking at it again though... It looks like fuels coming from the top around the sender/lines and running down. I'm thinking I may have a rusty line or brittle rubber... failing clamp... bad fuel pump retaining ring... something. I think maybe I should yank the tank out before I get too excited considering the cost. Never heard of an $800 gas tank before owning the Blue Demon!!

Oh, hey Willard, my sister was born in Bloomington IN. I was born in Martinsville, IN. - I just caught that. :thumbsup:

The stock fuel pumps on these were just mild steel, which rusts quite easily in the North. When I replaced the fuel pump assembly, it and the ring around it were a total rusty mess. I wouldn't be surprised if the top of the assembly rusted through and has a hole in it by now, or one of the hose mounts is cracking off the top.

You'll probably be in good shape with a whole new fuel pump assembly (NAPA sells one, stainless steel w/pump for ~$100, totally worth it) and lock ring. Just be sure to use the right tool to disconnect the fuel lines, and of course the new o-ring that comes with the assembly.

Also, if the fuel pump assembly was rusted inside of the tank, you might want to put a big magnet in there to get out all the rusty bits, or empty out all the fuel and wipe it down, then change the fuel filter as well.

Oh, hey Willard, my sister was born in Bloomington IN. I was born in Martinsville, IN. - I just caught that. :thumbsup:

Haha, awesome.

About your truck though, it may be the return line going into the pump. Mine rusted at the little hard line elbow that is part of the pump assembly. Replaced the pump and all was well. I would recommend partially dropping your tank to see what you have, and plan on replacing the pump/sender assembly. It seems like a little much, but at least that way you won't have to worry about the fuel pump failing for that much longer.

There is plenty of flexible line so you can inspect the sender assembly before having to disconnect the lines. If you end up replacing the pump just make sure and take your chance to clean the gas tank out, which mostly involves getting what dirt and sediment is at the bottom, which hopefully isn't much. Inspect the fill and vent hoses too, now would be the time to replace them. The fuel lines themselves should be fine, as the braided and hard lines on mine were still in excellent shape, even with it being an Indiana truck.

Small world Willard, my sister is going to I.U. in Bloomington right now.

Small world Willard, my sister is going to I.U. in Bloomington right now.

Ha, and I went to IU for a year, and now work at the Musical Arts Center full time. What's her name? (I have a gf already if you are wondering...)

I love this board :) Now I just have to find the motivation to drop the tank after having 8" of snow dumped on us on Friday. I got a fuel pump and sender for $111.00, figured I'd just do it... it's 15 years old, why not just get 'er done. Thanks for all the helpfull info. I like knowing what I'm getting into before I go ripping the X apart, especially since it's winter and it's my DD.

Back