Where can I go to fix the gas and coolant gauges for a 93 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where can I go to fix the gas and coolant gauges for a 93 Explorer?

BNK

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
The gas and coolant gauges are both stuck on their lowest indicator. Sometimes the gas gauge will read the fuel level properly, but if I shut the Explorer off and turn it on again, it falls right back to "E."

I really don't know if it's a bad float or a bad sender or whatever. I've heard that it might be the dash cluster but I think that's unlikely since the oil and battery gauges work perfectly. I also don't know where to take it to get it fixed. Firestone said they'd be able to fix it if it's the float but that means they'll have to drop the tank which is too much money for me to spend.

I'm hoping some of you may have encountered similar problems so I can get a better idea of what to look for. Btw I can't do it myself because I don't own a lift and even if I did, my apartment complex has a policy that permits them to call for your car to be towed if they spot you doing any major work on it anywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

crawl under the rear driver side. behind the back wheel along the frame rail should be the fuel pump connector. disconnect it and jump the y/w, o wires on the harness side. if the gauge reads full with less than a full tank it's probably the sending unit and the tank needs to come out. if it doesn't the gauge cluster might be at fault.

if the wires from the senders are open the guages go to low if they ground they will go to high.
roscoe

I pulled my dash cluster and cleaned EVERY connection point with a pencil eraser and did the same to all the bulb holders. I also cleaned the contacts on both harness connectors.

It was well worth it to disassemble the cluster and do this as it solved several problems and I also replaced all the bulbs that needed it.

Ground the single wire coolant sensor lead and see if the gauge pegs. If it does either the connector is dirty or the sensor is bad.

Best of luck

New sender for the coolant took care of my temp gauge. $5.00 - $6.00 part from auto zone now reads around O to R in the word NORMAL found on the gauge. Used to read below the N near the tick mark before NORMAL. Get the sender with one wire attached to it. You find it near the top coolant hose end on top of engine near thermostat housing. Easy to replace . You will lose some coolant when removed.

I've had my sending unit in the gas tank replaced three times over the years. This has been the worst problem I've had with this vehicle.

If needed, there are two choices for replacing the fuel tank sender - drop the tank or go in from the top. Searching this forum will yield instructions and photos for going in from the top, and dropping the tank is - well - dropping the tank. If I were to do it, I'd replace the pump also unless I knew it was relatively new. I chose to have a shop do our '92 XLT float & pump since I don't have anyone I can count on for help and didn't want to tackle that kind of a job by myself. However, for a long time I just used the trip 'meter' and filled up every 200 miles or so.

If needed, there are two choices for replacing the fuel tank sender - drop the tank or go in from the top. Searching this forum will yield instructions and photos for going in from the top, and dropping the tank is - well - dropping the tank. If I were to do it, I'd replace the pump also unless I knew it was relatively new. I chose to have a shop do our '92 XLT float & pump since I don't have anyone I can count on for help and didn't want to tackle that kind of a job by myself. However, for a long time I just used the trip 'meter' and filled up every 200 miles or so.
After several years of measuring my fuel through the odometer I decided to have a shop repair it as well. Bought aa sending unit through LMC trucks for $100.00. Several months later I had a local shop install it by dropping the tank for $237. Pricey, but hey, I thought it was worth it.

Back