Where is Technology Heading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is Technology Heading

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I don't think we are far away from seeing what ever you have on your smart phone being on the screen of your car. This will allow the driver to use Apps for music, navigation, etc. it will probably be electronically simpler and more effective. It's simply a matter of time IMO.

less distracting?

Having "smart phone" capabilities on an in vehicle display may be less distracting than on a phone but in my opinion is still not safe. I frequently have to "hug" the shoulder to avoid oncoming vehicles crossing over the center line due to the driver punching "buttons" or reading displays. I'm almost looking forward to vehicles that drive themselves for people that don't seem to realize that driving requires nearly continuous attention. In the interim, voice recognition control of heads up displays (HUDs) would be a safety improvement. HUDs have been incorporated on aircraft for decades with good success.

I don't think we are far away from seeing what ever you have on your smart phone being on the screen of your car. This will allow the driver to use Apps for music, navigation, etc. it will probably be electronically simpler and more effective. It's simply a matter of time IMO.

That's why Apple Carplay and Android Auto are going to be eliminating automaker's custom infotainment systems.

Although, I do like car's having their own infotainment system as long as they function with apps somehow. That'd be awesome.

That's why Apple Carplay and Android Auto are going to be eliminating automaker's custom infotainment systems.

Although, I do like car's having their own infotainment system as long as they function with apps somehow. That'd be awesome.

I agree that a hybrid will be the best combination. Sound controls will within the car's system, but Apps will eliminate the need for much of what is put into an OEM touch screen system, plus your cell phone will be a remote control, in addition to the steering wheel controls.

Also, why not have an App that can give you a readout of what's going on when any warning light comes on, like a check engine light? Hence the reason Apple and others are developing a more sophisticated electronics system and maybe even their own car. Things can be much more simple and user friendly than they currently are.

Back