• Register Today It's free!

Where is the canister purge valve

nate_2k5

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD
i can't seem to find it, i searched thru all of the threads but came up didn't help, where is the canister purge valve on a 97 ohv? i got the CEL code 0443 or whatever so i bought a new canister purge valve but i can't find where to replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 1993 it is under the Plenum look from the side of drivers side of the plenum = Upper Intake, mine is right there a bugger if a spot you may think, but be careful to not pull it out of that area to fast as you can break the plastic TEE that the Purge Valve has.

i have the replacement piece which looks like a sensor and has two plastic tees coming off of it. is it that piece?

i have the replacement piece which looks like a sensor and has two plastic tees coming off of it. is it that piece?

Yes, that is part of it.

I am not sure what yours looks like, but it should have at least 1 TEE or maybe yours has Two Tees as maybe your model uses more lines. My 1993 only uses two lines to the Purge Valve.

Do you have a Picture of it?

whats the best way to replace it, can you pull it up or is there room to unhook it and stuff there?

You can pull it out, but be careful

If you can take hoses off before hand or as you pull it out that makes it more safer from breaking the TEEs into the hose, basically if you break the TEE's you will need to clear the hoses and it can be a pain in the arse working in that spot, trust me if yours is where mine is i damn near took the ball bat out.. :)

i can't seem to find it, i searched thru all of the threads but came up didn't help, where is the canister purge valve on a 97 ohv? i got the CEL code 0443 or whatever so i bought a new canister purge valve but i can't find where to replace it.
Look in the driver side wheel well area-under the battery-

I think the cannister is in the rear-above the spare tire-

nate_2k5 no i am not confusing it with a PCV valve, but infact on the 1993-1995 the purge valve in in between the middle of plenum, but yes on your model it maybe in the area JTsmith stated.

devilboy222

Ok, Ok, sue me... :)

Here is my last advice on this matter, look all over the engine compartment, every knook and cranny until you find it..... :)

devilboy222

Ok, Ok, sue me... :)

Here is my last advice on this matter, look all over the engine compartment, every knook and cranny until you find it..... :)

No problem, just look at what year they're driving before you try to help. If it's a different generation, it likely will be a little different, and unless you know it's a similarity, let the other guys help out. That's the only point I was trying to get across ;)

No problem, just look at what year they're driving before you try to help. If it's a different generation, it likely will be a little different, and unless you know it's a similarity, let the other guys help out. That's the only point I was trying to get across ;)

I did state my vehicle is a 1993 pointing out mine maybe different and that it may not be in the same location.

I did state my vehicle is a 1993 pointing out mine maybe different and that it may not be in the same location.

I know, but you weren't the only one who tried to help talking about a first gen...anyways, thread hijack over, back to the topic.

The problem is everybody with first gens trying to help when he is driving a second gen. There are some major differences, and this is a good example.

What exactly is meant by second or first generation (i am guessing "gen" means generation)?

What exactly is meant by second or first generation (i am guessing "gen" means generation)?

Yes first gen = 91-94 i think.
Second = 95-99 i think.

Keep in mind 91,92 there is some differences under the hood as well from 93-95 models.

ok, looks like my thread has turned into a gen discussion, which i think is pretty self explanatory, anyone else know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it is the canister on the bottom as shown...

canp.jpg

Back