Where is the canister purge valve | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the canister purge valve

Attachments

• EVAP Valve.jpeg
    EVAP Valve.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 18,557

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, Nate. Please don't get me wrong but... Are you sure about this new part? I mean - Is it the right one?

Motocraft calls it Purge Valve while Artex prefers Purge Solenoid but they looks like equal: An electrical solenoid with a vacuum source which opens an EVAP line.

But in this other one (AC Delco? Standard Product?) - I can't see the vacuum plug - Is there one, right? I'm curious about this.

Marcio

Attachments

• Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Artex.jpeg
    Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Artex.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 12,233
  • Vapor Canister Purge Valve Motocraft.jpeg
    Vapor Canister Purge Valve Motocraft.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 20,190
  • Vapor Canister Purge Valve Standard Motors.jpeg
    Vapor Canister Purge Valve Standard Motors.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 12,580

the part i got is the on the far right and it says on the box canister purge valve. it has a plug for the harness on it and a T

Sorry for the misunderstood, Nate. I can figure out which there's a Canister Purge Valve for 98's Ex (F67E-9C915BA) and a different one for 97's Ex (F57Z-14A606BA). And they might be in different places too.

Good luck.

I pulled my picture fom the online Helm-ish manual for a 1997 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L V6.

I pulled my picture fom the online Helm-ish manual for a 1997 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L V6.

i looked around that area but saw no canister, after a little google searching i am lead to believe the canister is above the spare tire and the switch is close to it or in line

Here is the text from the Helm manual.

Are you sure youre looking for a CANP?
Here is a picture of the evaporative emissions canister:

FVMV.jpg

Here is some reading...

Evaporative Emission Control System
OPERATION
Fuel vapors trapped in the sealed fuel tank are vented through the orifice vapor valve assembly in the top of the tank. The vapors leave the valve assembly through a single vapor line and continue to the carbon canister for storage until they are purged to the engine for burning.

Purging the carbon canister removes the fuel vapor stored in the carbon canister. The fuel vapor is purged via a CANister Purge (CANP) solenoid or vacuum controlled purge valve. Purging occurs when the engine is at normal operating temperature and off idle.

The evaporative emission control system consists of the following components: fuel vapor (charcoal) canister, orificed vapor valve, fuel vapor CANister Purge (CANP) solenoid, pressure/vacuum relief fuel tank filler cap, as well as, the fuel tank and fuel tank filler pipe, vapor tube and fuel vapor hoses.

Fuel Vapor (Charcoal) Canister
NOTE: The fuel vapor canister is referred to as the evaporative emissions canister on 1995–99 models.

The fuel vapors from the fuel tank are stored in the fuel vapor canister until the vehicle is operated, at which time, the vapors will purge from the canister into the engine for consumption. The fuel vapor canister contains activated carbon, which absorbs the fuel vapor. The canister is located in the engine compartment or along the frame rail.

Orificed Vapor Valve
NOTE: This component is also known as the evaporative emission valve on 1995–99 models.

Fuel vapor in the fuel tank is vented to the carbon canister through the vapor valve assembly. The valve is mounted in a rubber grommet at a central location in the upper surface of the fuel tank. A vapor space between the fuel level and the tank upper surface is combined with a small orifice and float shut-off valve in the vapor valve assembly to prevent liquid fuel from passing to the carbon canister. The vapor space also allows for thermal expansion of the fuel.

CANP Solenoid
The CANP solenoid is inline with the carbon canister and controls the flow of fuel vapors out of the canister. It is normally closed. When the engine is shut OFF, the vapors from the fuel tank flow into the canister. After the engine is started, the solenoid is engaged and opens, purging the vapors into the engine. With the solenoid open, vapors from the fuel tank are routed directly into the engine.

Pressure/Vacuum Relief Fuel Tank Filler Cap
The fuel cap contains an integral pressure and vacuum relief valve. The vacuum valve acts to allow air into the fuel tank to replace the fuel as it is used, while preventing vapors from escaping the tank through the atmosphere. The vacuum relief valve opens after a vacuum of–0.25 psi (1.7 kPa). The pressure valve acts as a backup pressure relief valve in the event the normal venting system is overcome by excessive generation of internal pressure or restriction of the normal venting system. The pressure relief is 2 psi (14 kPa). Fill cap damage or contamination that stops the pressure vacuum valve from working may result in deformation of the fuel tank.

Here: http://search.ebscohost.com/Login.aspx?lp=login.asp&ref=&authtype=ip,uid

login: lib
password: access

go to "auto repair reference center"

like i said joe dirt, i've seen that and thats not the piece i got. i need to find out where the piece goes that looks like the one i got. it is definitely a piece of the EVAP system but its not that piece or anything under the battery tray

10-fo. Keep that link though- that's the factory service manuals, TSB's- everything. :thumbsup:

10-fo. Keep that link though- that's the factory service manuals, TSB's- everything. :thumbsup:

thanks for the link, i looked thru the evap system but still am having trouble finding the piece in the system

Where would I buy this purge valve and how much is it? The one under the battery tray.

Where would I buy this purge valve and how much is it? The one under the battery tray.

Dealership, Autozone, Auto Parts, Napa Parts

Around 27.00 - 30.00 or so.

Pep, autozone and Advanced dont carry it. Does ford have a direct parts website or something. I was looking for something cheaper than the dealer.

Try again. Im gonna hit up the local yard and pull one just to see. Is there a test i can run on it to see if it works?

Picked up two of them at the junk yard just in case one was bad. Replaced it and the light hasnt come on yet. Thank god. Hopefully my gas mileage will improve alot.

Can anyone in the Portland, Oregon area recommend a salvage yard for this CANP part on a 1995 XLT? The stealership just charged me $50 to diagnose a hole in the part from an old battery leak but said the replacement part was no longer being made. Evidently this is the only year they have problems finding the item.
TIA
:roll:

Update: I ended up getting information that the CX1584 is the comparable to the original CX1583 motocraft part number.

Hellow i am jr
i have a 98 ford explorer 4.0 l
when i start engine after all night at 35 degree or less engine shakes jerks
& will smooth out & warm up. If i push gas pedal dn 1/4 to 1 in it will high idle & you would never know had cold crank prob but chk eng light is on
still.

I had system scanned by auto zone codes were
po174, po153,po455. So i cleaned mass air flow sencer reset computer chk
eng light came on again aft 20 or 30 mi. Cleaned idle air control made idle better. Chk engine came back on. They gave me several opt rich or lean air fuel ratio bnk 2 other,heated oxc sen bnk 2 other opt, evap large leak ptob
replaced fuel cap i havent checked purge valve or hoses yet some say purge valve under bat & others say under back tire it is cold here in tn i have no
grage so i have to catch warmer days. It runs great down road idles pretty smooth in gear or out .but gas milage isnt good. I cant afford the ford shop either so can Anyone help thanks. JR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Armsj thanks for reply. I found purge valve under bat.the purg vacum hose was broke fixed that. 4.0 l runs a lot smoother but when i start up cold
i get a misfire i rib up engine smooth out. I dont know if the purge valve is
bad or not i tried to put air through one side valve was closed this is norm. Could be stuck. How to check ? Anuone know.

Also purge valve says 1 pound of air the valve to big for reg air nozzel
is there an adptor for this ?.

It has bosh plugs i dont care for these plugs. Known for firing problems
going to put in autolite platnum recomended for ford.

HAS & X IN THE VIN NUMBER PUSHROD ENGINE

Any suggestions on these questions.

Back