Where to get Custom Hubcentric Rings! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to get Custom Hubcentric Rings!

If there are those of you out there looking to get wheels for your rig, and are worried about spun or snapped studs on your hubs, as you may have read about in "The Definitive Wheel Stud Article" sticky at the top of this forum, they came to the solution that running a lug centric wheel was the cause for these problems. Because the lugs on our rigs are not designed to carry the entire weight of the wheel, but are merely there to keep it in place, it is imperative that the wheels be hubcentric so that the hub can carry the majority of the wheel's weight. I found this website of a company that constructs custom billet aluminum hub rings and other spacers and adapters. They look to be of very high quality and I thought that all users looking for wheels should know about this site.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html

You don't have to worry about knowing your stock hub size. Simply put in the Year and Model and it looks up the information for you. And then when purchasing wheels simply look for the size of the centerbore and enter it in millimeters on the website, and boom, you're done.
I hope this helps some that were trying to find these things, which can be somewhat obscure to acquire.

Kyle

::sticky please :) ::

It may be possible to use hubcentric rings on aftermarket wheels and 2WD Explorers if you felt strongly about it, but the Explorer wheels (or at least almost all that I've seen) are lug-centric by design, so you'd have to either have your factory wheels machined to accept the rings (and hope whoever did it got the machining perfect), or get aftermarket wheels just for the purpose of getting custom rings.

The rings will also NOT work with a lot of the 4x4 models depending on the hubs, especially on the 91-94's.

Hub-centric rings are very nice, and very important for vehicles that are designed for them, but a good majority of heavier trucks/SUVs are lug-centric by design, and the hassle of making them into a hub-centric design doesn't seem worth it, unless you were planning on some sort of high speed use.

I suppose selling people something they don't need that's more hassle than it's worth is just part of the aftermarket, though.

I suppose selling people something they don't need that's more hassle than it's worth is just part of the aftermarket, though.

x2

Plenty of us have used lug-centric aftermarket wheels pushing 36" tires on the stock Ford 8.8 axle w/o any problems.

Back