Where's my oil going??

wchain

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT V8 2WD
Hi Guys,
Last saturday, when I started my explorer, the check oil light was on. I shut it off, checked it, and it indeed needed a quart. So I added a quart, drove it all day saturday and sunday, parked it, and drove it today, when I pulled into my drive way, the check oil light came on again. There are no leaks, and does not smoke, and recently passed the exhaust sniffer test. Coolant is clean and theres no oil in it.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Truck has 96K on it and was driven by a lady who has saved EVERY receipt for every bit of maintenance, oil changes were around 2500 miles and she drove it very little (car is almost 13 years old and has less than 100k on it!)

thanks

I dont know, I have the same problem, but very small. I just got done dumping in another half quart, its been about 2-3 weeks since I dumped the first half. I do have a leak, but its so small, just a couple drops a week on the concrete, was worse before I added a some seal conditioner, not sure if its the rear seal or the notorious oil filter adapter I have heard about. Mine does not smoke either.

Auto tranny?

Wans't there an issue with oil getting in the auto-tranny cooling line?

It could be a ring issue or the intake gasket is starting to go. Pull your plugs, 1 may have more ash than the other. If so a compression test may show a bad ring though I doubt it an engine can eat a fair bit of oil without smoking. You may just want to sit on this one and see if it worsens.

Back