green99_svt

Reaction score
City, State
grayslake, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport 4x4
im looking at running bullitt mustang rims 17x8
i was thinking of using expedition size 265/70/17
there are many choices for that size but was wondering if i went 285/70/17 if it would be too big.

my truck will have 1.5" shackles in rear to rid of sag and will tt the front 1" or so. will a 285/75/17 fit?

ive basic`ally bought the rims, so what is the best size to use. im digging the nitto tera grappler they make it in both sizes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the 285 might be too wide for a 17x8 rim.. Not so familiar with Truck tires.. but on my Corvette the stock rim is 17x9 and tire is 275. Double check with others before putting the 285 tire on a 17x8 rim.

-Tim

With your current setup, the 265/70 R17 is your only alternative. The 285 will be too tall and wide without a lift. The 265/70 R17 is about a 32" which is doable, but you may need to trim and still have rubbing issues depending on your wheel size and offset.

The 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S has a book spec of 32" (technically 31.9), in the real world, it's 31" in diameter as measured on my F-150.

The Wrangler AT/S is rated for a 7-9" rim.

Now, the LT-265/70-17 is rated for a 7-8.5" rim. There's a *slight* difference in the printed load range, but the load ratings on LT tires are determined by a different method than a passenger tire. In either case, the tire is nowhere near being overloaded. One pair of those tires is rated to carry nearly all the weight of a stock Explorer.

-Joe

The 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S has a book spec of 32" (technically 31.9), in the real world, it's 31" in diameter as measured on my F-150.

The Wrangler AT/S is rated for a 7-9" rim.

Now, the LT-265/70-17 is rated for a 7-8.5" rim. There's a *slight* difference in the printed load range, but the load ratings on LT tires are determined by a different method than a passenger tire. In either case, the tire is nowhere near being overloaded. One pair of those tires is rated to carry nearly all the weight of a stock Explorer.

-Joe

looks like the 265/70 is the way to go, thanks guys

Hi,
I run 94-95 Mustang split tri spoke 17" with F150 size 255-65-17 rubber. The offset slightly rubs the front antisway bar if making a hard full turn, But, No real problem.

just got the 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler. they look bad ass and do not rub, you will not be able to go any bigger though.

Back