Benifit of wider tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Benifit of wider tires?

Hello there, I'm looking to get some 33's however i'm aware that to get 33/12.5's to fit is difficult, or rather takes more money, also, after driving in the snow once again, i'm reminded that skinner tires are better for the snow...so the 33/10.5 are looking pretty sensible, they offer the added height of the 33" tires, are eaiser to mount and better in snow, (which unfortunately is a consideration 4months out of the year for me).

I do trails with some mud and water crossing, no rock crawling really. What's the right width for me?

the benifit of woder is a wider track,,, you will also have a big foot print in the mud, and rcks(i know you dont rockcrawl)

The extra 2.5" will help with stability... but i have also been considereing 33x10.50's

Stabilty and wider foot print is the only reason i can think

Depends on how deep that mud is. If it's really deep mud, wider is better so you float more. However, if it's shallow mud, skinny is better, just like snow, so you get the tire to the ground where the traction is.

For water, you just need to make sure the speed of the river (if it is a river) isn't too much for your traction and weight to handle.

But what are you thinking of for more lift? A 3" body and the 12.50s will fit.

I have a crappy bush bar, and it's attached to the frame, so if i do a body lift, the bush bar will look a little silly (Right?). Also, 33x10.5's are lighter, give you the same gound clearance, still pretty stable (and i suspose you could always eigther get spacers or wheels with a different backspacing), are better in snow and i can avoid the body lift which also lifts your center of gravity. I know the majority of the wieght is inthe drivetrain/engine, but still, it becomes more tippy. Oh, and i can fit into underground parking!

Yes you'd have to space your push bar.

I wouldn't use wheel spacers, I'd use 3.5 or 3.75" backspaced rims. This will significantly help your track over stock rims.

Back