which wire do i splice from high beams? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which wire do i splice from high beams?

i am trying to use my high beams as the trigger for the relay for my fog lamps. the relays has it's own power from the battery. what color is the wire with current to the high beams? and where is the easiest place to splice into it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just did mine so they come on with the parking lights. so any time the parking lights are on they come on. and they stay on with the high beams. i can look today and find what color the wire is if thats what you want to do?

Need the same help with a 94. I have:

black
red with black strip
green with black strip

The great hayes pos manual only has the wires for a 91, & it says the red wire, however I spliced that & my lows do not work, but the highs still do. So I guess it's the green wire? Can someone confirm?

96limitedX said:
i just did mine so they come on with the parking lights. so any time the parking lights are on they come on. and they stay on with the high beams. i can look today and find what color the wire is if thats what you want to do?

well, i want mine to come on only when i have the high beams on, because i fear that they will be too bright for all the time driving (they're driving lights, not "fog" lights).

Haynes manual showes it to be the white / light green wire for the high beams.

I have just removed the passenger side headlight bulb to get enough flex in the wire to splice into it.
A $5. elect. test light is a great thing to have for this stuff. Just incase the manual isnt right on the wire color.

if i used a multi meter, wouldn't the current jump up on whichever wire i am suppose to use, when i turn on the high beams? this would be a pretty easy indicator right? thanks, todd.

couldn;t you use a test light and with the lights on you woul get power to the test light...

well, i'm trying to splice from the drivers side lights. i think that the high beam wire is white with a light green stripe on it. anyone? i guess i'm just gonna give it a try....

so i spliced into the white wire with the green stripe. i had not finished hooking up the splice to the relay, but i wanted to test the headlights. when i turned them on, the side which i had spliced into was incredibly dull. it lost almost half of it's power. the spliced wire is not going to the lights, or anything for that matter, so why would it steal so much power? by the way, i used the splicing where you put the wires striaght through and then crimp the little metal piece through it, then clamp it shut. i've never used one of these before, but it was included in the wiring kit.

Jason94sport said:
Need the same help with a 94. I have:

black
red with black strip
green with black strip

The great hayes pos manual only has the wires for a 91, & it says the red wire, however I spliced that & my lows do not work, but the highs still do. So I guess it's the green wire? Can someone confirm?
When I wired in my projectors I directly connected the high beam wires and I could only use flash-to-pass. I needed a diode, you probably need the same.

I'm wiring my wig wags. Whenever it stops raining I'll try the green wire. I have a test light somewhere & just can't find the thing.

so i got it figured out. the correct wire (on the drivers side, since both sides have different color wires) for the high beams is the green wire with a blue stripe. i wired this to my relay like it was coming from a switch. it works perfectly.

in a follow up to my post a few posts up, the dullness in the lights was caused by the bolt i removed to use as the ground for the relay. it just happened to be grounding the drivers side lights as well.

anyway, everything is working perfectly now, and the 55w pro-comp 5" lights are the perfect addition to my high beams.

All right. I love it when a plan comes together....

Now we need some pics.

well, no pics just yet.....

i'm waiting till all the new mods are put on, then i'm going to get my elite membership, and post it in the member forum. i'll tell you though, the truck is starting to look pretty bad @$$, just gotta get the light bar drilled into the roof, and the wiring run for the lights, and i'll be there! stay tuned....

if anyone is interested though, i can post pics of where i mounted the relay, and the wiring too. just say something, and i'll put the pics on here. if no one cares though, i'll save my time.

Back