weird fog light high beam problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

weird fog light high beam problem

so i have off road lights tied into my high beams (using a relay) and whenever i turn on my high beam or fog lights on the other ones turn on. i high beam and the fog lights are on the same - wire. what do you think could me making this happen?

Put the high beams on their own ground wire and the fogs on their own ground wire. I think the ground is the switched wire for the fogs. Not sure but unless you have a positive wire bare and suppling power to the fogs it has to be the grounds. Maby, I guess, Cant hurt to try....

Basicly where I am headed.

I read incorrectly on the 87A, I thought it was said somewhere that pin 87A was setup to indicate for a turn off condition; not sure why that would have been but went along with it.

Anyway, I'm bad... but what you need to do is recheck all of the wiring.

If you wired the Off-Road Lights per bp1506 or your schematic using the high beam power wire then the Off-Road Lights shoulds only come on when the highs are on.
BUT... if some how you wired the Off-Road Lights using the head light Ground Wire then there can be feed back throughout the system. This type of problem should have started right away but who knows.

Where in the head light harness did you tap the high beam wire ?
If at the Socket then you could make a mistake and find power on the ground side of the socket when power is appplied to the head lights; make sure there is only power on the tap wire when the highs are on not both highs and lows.

Luck,

You said you had the foglights wired to turn on with the parking lights. Are the new lights hooked into the stock fog light wiring? If so I think that is your problem. You wouldn't need to run the wiring from the headlight at all, since the power wire for the stock fog light would be your trigger wire for the relay. Then ground the lights to the frame. This would allow you to use the factory fog light switch and your new lights would come on with the parking lights and stay on with the high and low beams. This is how I set up my aftermarket lights You would still need to run a power wire from the battery, and ground the relay.

Dan

found out the problem......... it was was both being grounded together, out new grounds to the off-road lights and they work as their suppose to
2zpupad.jpg

24pyzc6.jpg

thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

found out the problem......... it was was both being grounded together, out new grounds to the off-road lights and they work as their suppose to

To eliminate grounding problems, always run a ground wire back to the battery or a grounding stud near the battery with the stud connected to teh battery.
Never rely on the body, the engine or the frame to transfer the ground; rust, mud, etc will alway cause grounding problems somewhere in that path.
It takes a little extra wire and a little extra time but the results now and in the future will be apparent.

Back