whine coming from engine - uh oh | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whine coming from engine - uh oh

grade_t

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
First let me say - I really appreciate this forum ! Its a huge help to have the experts offering their advice. Im pretty savvy but not too sure what is going on with my 1996 Eddie Bauer, stock.

198K miles. Fluids seem fine. Recently changed the oil. This new whine sound - reminds me of a catfight, the low level growling from a male cat perhaps. If the engine revs, the pitch goes up (until it cant be heard anymore). The sound appears to come from the engine compartment (as you face it).

Ive no idea how to diagnose it myself. No check engine light. Idle on this vehicle has a been very rough for the last two months, I just havent gotten around to taking care of this. The idle issue could be a bad O2 sensor ?

But what is the whine ? Its really stressing me...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which motor? v8? Lots of posts on the cam sync sensor.

Do you have a stethescope? They are cheap, and with the motor running, you can poke around under the hood till you set the probe on the offending part. The noise will get very loud when you do.

It could be as simple as your alternator. Could be belt idler wheel, tensioner.....if you get that stethescope and start poking around be careful of moving parts.

Hi,

I should add that I thought it could be the power steering - so I looked but it wasnt low on fluid, topped it off anyway. Also noted - the sound didnt change much when the engine was on and I tried to turn the wheel.

Guess I could try the stethscope - never tried that technique before....

Have you taken a look at ur belt for cracks, slippage, etc?

Could be belt idler wheel, tensioner.....

I had the EXACT same whining issue with my 5.0 and replacing these two pulleys solved it. Not sure which one was the culprit, but it didn't hurt to replace them both anyhow.

Take the serpentine belt off and spin the pulleys by hand listening for any unusual noise or tight or loose pulleys. While you have the belt off, start the engine ,listen for noise.

i'd remove the serp belt and check the idler and tensioner pulleys first. they're the most likely bearings to go, but you can't rule out the alt, p/s pump and even the a/c compressor clutch bearings. in any event removing the belt and checking for any play or tightness is the place to start looking. you can't go wrong with a good mechanic, but that should be you last and most expensive option. replacing the tensioner and idler pulleys is the least expensive and is pretty easily done.

Back