Manual Transmission Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual Transmission Noise

G

Glenn

My '92 manual transmission with 73,000 miles has a higher than normal noise level. A mechanic suggested it could be the syncro gears are loose, or wearing. The symptoms include a 'whirring' sound when shifting from first to second, and a similar 'whirring' sound when I decelerate. So far, I can still shift easily into all gears, at regular speeds, with no grinding. Anyone with similar symptoms, or diagnosis?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is a kind of chirping noise it could be your throwout bearing.

Why don't you try changing the oil in it? It takes about 2.8 qts of ATF, if I remember correctly. Look in the owner's manual for the correct amount and grade of ATF. Let it drain a good long time - you wouldn't believe the gook that came out of mine... The drain plug is magnetic so clean it off good, too. To refill it, you'll have to get one of those plastic hand pumps (Sta-Lube makes one for $4.99) or a bulb or a syringe, or ther may be some other tricky way to refill it that I don't know of. It may not solve your problem, but it's at least one inexpensive thing you've eliminated before you have to prostrate yourself before the folks at AAMCO.

Be carefull what you put in it. You'll have
either a Mazada(ATF fluid, redish in color) or a Mitsubishi(80W gear lube, smelly black).
I had the Mitsubishi, or atleast it had smelly black gear oil in it, so I assumed it was the Mitsubishi. Everyone I've heard talking about the manual tranny mentions ATF (the Mazda) and changing the shift rail plugs. Whats the deal? No one have the Mitsubishi tranny except me? Dead Link Removed Does the Mitsubishi have the same problem of the plugs drying up and leaking fluid? Anyone???

When I changed my ATF the first time it was black and smelly. Better make sure you don't have the mazda tranny.

Ryan - ALLEGEDLY the Explorer came (comes) with either the Mazda or Mitsu tranny, but I've never heard of anyone with the Mitsu tranny. You'll have to get the numbers off your tranny tag and then use your repair manual or the dealer parts dept. to positively identify which one you have. If you have the Mazda tranny, the rubber plugs are located on top of the tranny housing, directly behind the gearshift lever. You have to remove the front seats, pull back the carpet, and remove the cover plate that is bolted to the floor pan to get at the rubber plugs. There are three of them. Get new ones from Ford ($10) and glue them in with copper Permatex silicone. Clean out the holes good first with Q-tips and brake cleaner.

The difference in the tranny is it Mazda has the Electric tranfer case and the Mitsu has the Manual Transfer case the Mazda Tranny has the shift rail plug and the mitsu tranny does not.... If I am wrong sorry but I have never seen one with a Mitsu tranny but I know they are out there....

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

My 92 sport has a manual shift transfer and the mazda transmission, My friends 92 Xlt has the electric shift with the mazda trans. just had to add my 2 cents. sorry

Bluntly speaking, the Mazda 5 spd. is a piece of crap. I really like my Explorer except for the trans. AS I much prefer a manual for 4wd usage over an auto., I'm stuck with it.
Mine went south at 74,750 miles (vehicle had a 75,000 mile extended warranty-how lucky can you get!)when it started to grind upon shifting into 1st, probably due to earlier poorly done clutch jobs by my dealer. At that time they replaced the 1st-2nd gear syncro and shift fork and some other minor stuff. They did another overhaul 3500 miles later to replace all the bearings that should have been replaced the first time. It's still noisy (like steel marbles floating around inside!). So far the dealer refuses to do anything more(they have to be Ford's worst!; but they are the only one where I live). The noise level hasn't changed in the past 9,000 miles and I still have another 3,000 left of warranty on the last trans. overhaul.
My advice: Change the trans oil frequently, every 3rd or 4th oil change is not too frequent! Don't speed shift or slam gears, and
DON'T TOW ANYTHING. If you look in your owner's manual, Ford rates the manual trans. for a much smaller towing capacity then the auto.trans.( so they know it is weaker but won't actually say so!)
I also add a friction reducing additive to the oil. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt!

Your suggestions regarding the transmission oil were warranted. But, I delayed in checking the oil. BIG MISTAKE! It cost me @1400 for a rebuilt transmission...plus $500 labor...added a new clutch @ $300 plus tax....total bill = @2400!!
The machanic said there was no oil in the transmission when he dropped it out. I was mistaken thinking the slow leak would take awhile to drain. I did not take into account that it also leaks while running. The oil level was alledgedly checked at the dealer in April 1999, who said it was OK at that time. So between April and July it drained dry.
The guy putting in the rebuilt transmission (at the Ford dealer) knows that these Explorer transmissisons are very prone to leaking.
I hope you can learn something from my expensive lesson. It could have cost me only the price of 3 quarts of oil, had I been more proactive.

I have a 91 Sport and I did the EXACT same thing. I've always considered myself aware of things as far as cars are concerned--not in this case though! At the place where I took it the mechs would always be talking about the "statistics" as they would call the customers who had screwed up their cars which they were then expected to fix--then I became on of them. $1671.00 later it was fixed with a new rebuilt 5spd,clutch,rear main seal,etc.--this was two years ago and its still going strong.

For what its worth,
Barry
91 Sport

I put new fluid in it, and it stops the noise, but it's leaking out as quick as I can put it in. Looks like I'm in for some tranny work! Is it at all possible that only the rear seal is out? Maybe all I need is a gasket... Oh who am I kidding...

Andrew

I feel all of you guys' pain. I just had my Mazda 5spd rebuilt for $2000.(new 2nd gear,newbearing/synchros,new clutch..etc)The only good thing I learned was they replaced the rubber plugs with metal aftermarket plugs,this supposedly eliminates the leaking. so far so good, but I'm keeping a watchfull eye on it.I can't afford another "golden MAZDA tranny".
My 2 cents.
Scott

Back