• Register Today It's free!

Loud whirring noise

AMHarville

Reaction score
City, State
CTown, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT V8
I'm hearing what I can only describe as a loud, whirring noise coming from the front end. It's at the absolute worst between 20-35mph, and always during acceleration or steady throttle (doesn't happen while braking). Don't notice the noise at higher speeds either. Also noticed the transmission shifting down harder than normal from 2nd to 1st. Some coworkers are thinking maybe the noise is coming from a tranny that's getting ready to take a dump, and the hard downshift may further strengthen that opinion. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two things come to mind, first you could have bad bearings in the hubs on the front and second, if you have not had the transmission ever reprogrammed then that needs to be performed first to take care of the harsh 2nd to 1st downshift that is a known issue with the early six speed transmissions.

I'm hearing what I can only describe as a loud, whirring noise coming from the front end. It's at the absolute worst between 20-35mph, and always during acceleration or steady throttle (doesn't happen while braking). Don't notice the noise at higher speeds either. Also noticed the transmission shifting down harder than normal from 2nd to 1st. Some coworkers are thinking maybe the noise is coming from a tranny that's getting ready to take a dump, and the hard downshift may further strengthen that opinion. Any thoughts?

You didn't mention if you have the V6 or V8. That is important regarding the transmission.

If the V8, yes, people have had their TCM reflashed and the harsh down bump has been solved. In my case, I had the transmission fluid changed and it was fine after that without a TCM reflash. I suspect there was a small leak in mine and the valve bodies weren't getting enough fluid/pressure (not sure how it works).

yeah, should've stated it's a V8. is the reflash of the TCM a pretty simple thing? something that can be done at home?

i'm really hoping the whirring noise is just the bearings. it's quite unsettling to hear.

just found out it was also a former police vehicle. geesh.

yeah, should've stated it's a V8. is the reflash of the TCM a pretty simple thing? something that can be done at home?

i'm really hoping the whirring noise is just the bearings. it's quite unsettling to hear.

just found out it was also a former police vehicle. geesh.

How long have you had this explorer?

I just recently had the same sound at 60k miles. Mine is a 2010 v6, I thought it was in the front, but it ended up being the rear differential. The pinion bearings were shot. The guy showed me the bearings and races. Can't believe they were even spinning. Got that rebuilt (thankfully under warranty) and the noise is gone.

i've had the truck for a little over a month. i was dumb and didn't have them pull a carfax for me, so the "former police vehicle" surprise came when the memorandum title came in the mail. doh. it's a 2007 with 70k on it.

would there be any other symptoms to point at an engine fan clutch failure, Towing?

I am guessing it was not full of holes from the antennae and the spot light or light bars?
If that's the case you are lucky and it was probably a detective car and not beat to death! If you can track down what agency had it you might be able to call there service department and see if they still have the service records for it!

would there be any other symptoms to point at an engine fan clutch failure, Towing?

Sorry, I don't know specifics on how to test that. I guess you could open your hood WHILE THE ENGINE IS OFF and try to turn the fan. It should turn by hand (with a bit of resistance). If it doesn't, then it may be locked up.

no, there weren't any holes from light bars, etc. however, there were two small holes drilled in the roof on the inside, but i thought it was somebody that had maybe hard mounted a radar detector or something. i had posted a topic a couple of weeks ago asking why my center console would have the SYNC badge on it when that year didn't have it available, and now that i know what the vehicle used to be, it makes sense. just wish they would've replaced it with an AUX jack. =\

i may just have to pull a carfax to gain more info on it. just mildly peeved the dealer never mentioned it, not that i'm not surprised.

i'll just get it into the shop after our Ford Deathstar takes a trip in.

thanks everybody! here's to hoping it's just a wheel bearing!

Sorry, I was side tracked by the downshift bump originally.

I see your whirring is from 20-30. Could still be the fan, but you'd be able to duplicate that by sitting still and revving it up a bit. If it doesn't happen then, I agree it's probably a wheel bearing.

Back