• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer oil won't drain out

kammy

Reaction score
City, State
cloudcroft NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Went to do a normal oil change.2003 4.0 ltr Pulled the plug, filter and let it drain. Put the new filter on, after the oil quit running out I reinstalled the plug and poured 5qts of oil in. This is where it gets weird....pulling the dip stick, it was way over full, checking what came out, 2 qts. So I pulled the plug to empty more out......nothing.....stuck my finger in the filler hole, no oil pooling there, stuck a screw driver several inches into the oil pan and nothing either. Dipstick says over full, pan says empty, oil pressure gauge reads "normal".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if it would be bad for the motor in any way but if you have access to an air compressor could you take the drain plug out and blow air down the dip stick tube? Aside from that, maybe take an afternoon and drop the oil pan to see what the holdup is.

Could you possibly have drained the transmission instead?

Not sure if it would be bad for the motor in any way but if you have access to an air compressor could you take the drain plug out and blow air down the dip stick tube? Aside from that, maybe take an afternoon and drop the oil pan to see what the holdup is.
Thought about that, I looked at a diagram of the inside of the pan and lower engine assy. There is a division of sorts with a port hole for flow that may be plugged with sludge. Gonna try the air, prob end up dropping the pan. Thanks!

i thought about the air, but it was getting late. I looked at diagram of the structure of the pan and engine that fits in it. There is a divided area with a port hole for flow with the larger side where the oil pick-up and dip stick are. I think that port is clogged with possible sludge. Gonna try the air, prob end up dropping the pan. Yay! Thanks!

Lol, probably pieces of timing chain cassette plugging the drain hole. drop the pan and find out.
Engine runs great, no timing issues, I would feel pcs of stuff there, hole is clear.

Could you possibly have drained the transmission instead?
Nope BIG difference between tranny fluid and oil. Been doing this for 37 years.

Nope BIG difference between tranny fluid and oil. Been doing this for 37 years.
I can only think there is an obstruction in the pan assembly. Gonna drop the pan. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. My son is a diesel mechanic, he and his crew just dropped their jaws!

Probably the first time the oil was ever changed. You've so much sludge that the pan is plugged. BTW, the oil pressure is an idiot switch, not a gauge - you may not have much pressure at all.

Sounds like a "funny" to me. There is no way that 8 quarts of oil are inside of the engine and it's not draining out, even with probing the drain hole with a screwdriver. I have to call BS on this one.

Back