Who camps in there Explorers, any ideas? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who camps in there Explorers, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're a wealth of info Tbars, thanks.

...Trust me...I ain't no genius..:D

...I learned this and a plethora of other useful information by using the search function on the ExplorerForum...Ok..So I remembered some of it..:biggthump

...This has been an unpaid public service announcement on the ExplorerForum..This should not take away from the character, sheer brilliance, or handsome good looks of the infamous user known as Tbars4...

:shifty_ey

So I can't find my plans right now, but just to give you an idea; mine is made of 2x4's and 1/2" plywood. Just make a frame as large as possible that fits in with the back seats up. Then fold them down and build another frame that takes up half the space between the first frame to the front seats. Then build the third and final frame to fill in the rest of the way. Then place hinges on the top of the joint(facing ceiling) between the rear and middle frames, and below the joint(facing seats) for the front and middle. This way it can fold up and over into the rear so you can still have your rear seating when desired. You can place drawers and cubbys as desired. If your really interested and want to do it I'll remeasure it all and give you the dimensions and a drawing.

So I can't find my plans right now, but just to give you an idea; mine is made of 2x4's and 1/2" plywood. Just make a frame as large as possible that fits in with the back seats up. Then fold them down and build another frame that takes up half the space between the first frame to the front seats. Then build the third and final frame to fill in the rest of the way. Then place hinges on the top of the joint(facing ceiling) between the rear and middle frames, and below the joint(facing seats) for the front and middle. This way it can fold up and over into the rear so you can still have your rear seating when desired. You can place drawers and cubbys as desired. If your really interested and want to do it I'll remeasure it all and give you the dimensions and a drawing.

A picture is worth 2 donkeys... no that's not it.
A picture costs less than a hooker... not that's not right either.
You get what I'm trying to say. Show us.

the other thing to do, which i plan on doing when i lift mine and get a roof rack, is to relocate or do away with the spare tire, and build a storage trunk in its place, accesible from the interior.

seems kind small, and dark
explorerstorage.jpg

Mouse over the image thumb nail in photobucket, and a drop down appears. Single click on the last line in the drop down. that copies that code onto your clipboard. then you hold ctrl + v and that copies that code into your post.

seems kind small, and dark
explorerstorage.jpg

Mouse over the image thumb nail in photobucket, and a drop down appears. Single click on the last line in the drop down. that copies that code onto your clipboard. then you hold ctrl + v and that copies that code into your post.

Thanks for the help!

Like some one else mentioned, curtains are a great idea for both privacy and keeping it dark in there in case you're trying to catch some afternoon z's. Just run some velcro around the top edge of the roof and get some thick fabric. Attache that to the other side of the velcro and voila! Easy to use curtains.

Also, the roof top tents are hella cool but very pricey. They seem to be big with the Toyota crowd.

I use a roof box (thule 611 boxter) for storing all luggage and camping stuff, and either sleeping in sportz SUV tent with double air bed or dropping all seats and inflating the double air bed inside the truck

5759849087_2ba6bff8a1_b.jpg

5744508076_b3791cdb5f_b.jpg

I was thinking of making a storage box that would go where the spare tire mount is make it 17wx14Lx10d then have the top open up to the inside.

guys i was thinking about this thread, and what it would take to retro fit my ex for even better camping ... and i remembered some buddies that went on a road trip in their 4runner. one thing that you may deem unnecessary, but i think may be kinda nice would be some stability jacks. my buddies used them and loved them, they are used on nearly all campers. http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=12274F
This is what i was thinkin, and i have no idea what my buds used exactly.
just a thought.

I'm still pretty proud of the old box I built for camping back in the day. It gave me extra storage space in the back, but also a good solid platform to sleep on. I could fit my queen air bed back there and because I'm 6' 8" I could put my feet through the two front seats and actually get to stretch out back there. Very comfy, the few times I did it. not the best pics but hopefully will show what they looked like... I am no master wood craftsman... but I think it came out great.
box1.jpg

box2.jpg

The platforms that you see that go forward actually detached from the box so if you wanted the back seats up you could detach them, put them on top of the storage box and they didn't take up much space at all.

I camp in mine...a 2000 XLT. Call it my "mobile command post" Put the pax side rear seat down and have a low profile camping cot to sleep on. ECWS sleeping system can be adapted to whatever the conditions are from hot to extreme cold. All windows down in summertime and up in the winter. Food, clothes and gold mining equipment in remaining space along with top and rear cargo carrier holding equipment and water. I carry 3 x 7-gallon Aquatainers and two 5 gal gas tanks for off roading. Coleman two burner and a battery powered lantern. Room for one only but since no one wants the type of adventure I'm on I normally wing it alone anyway.

Best of luck to you.

what about a hammock? one end tied to a tree the other your vehicle?

kinda random but i felt the need to mention that rubber made action packers are NOT water proof

I use a roof box (thule 611 boxter) for storing all luggage and camping stuff, and either sleeping in sportz SUV tent with double air bed or dropping all seats and inflating the double air bed inside the truck
5744508076_b3791cdb5f_b.jpg

Where did you get the cool shade canopy?

Where did you get the cool shade canopy?

It is ARB Touring Awning 2500mm #ARB108US, a hand operated roll up awning
You can have it for $214.91 form here:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=980

But i recommend FOXWING Awning (More shade area and newest product)

foxwing2.jpg

foxwing3.jpg

foxwing1.jpg

Vehicle_358_2009414_93731.jpg

31100-Dimensions-Imperial.png

Watch these videos
http://www.rhinorack.com/ShowVideoLibrary.aspx?oType=3&linkid=358

You can have it for $599.00 from here:
http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCategory_Foxwing-Awning_56.aspx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back