Who camps in there Explorers, any ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who camps in there Explorers, any ideas?

trailblazr81

Reaction score
City, State
Hollister
So Im gonna use my Explorer as a camping rig. Its a 4dr auto with 3.73 L/S. I plan on a small 2-3" lift with some 31" or 32" all terrains. Also will add a basket on the roof. Run a deep cycle battery, add a tranny cooler, and keep one of those emergency jump start packs with me. Plan is to throw an air mattress in back with seats folded down. I'll take my 12x12 shade canopy, folding table, camp chairs along, maybe roll of astro turf.:D I already have a good coleman cooler and camp stove. I wanna be able to camp in the middle of no where and not deal with a tent. Anyone else do this? Have any ideas for me? :salute: Also pics of your set ups would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Twin mattress fits between the wells.

i "camp" somewhat often in my 94. throw the seats down, air matress. its quit comfortable. For this purpose, although i havent yet, i plan on purchasing a tent heater. But what would be really nice, and im planning on having done by the end of the summer, is some tinted windows. and curtains. I bought some old kitchen window curtains, for like 5$ at habitat for humanity. They were used for like a small kitchen window, so they will be just the right size for at least the back window. i need some more for the rest though. I am slightly unsure of how to mount these yet. But i'll figure it out :) goodluck !

I have a twin mattress from my tent camping days. My windows are already tinted. I plan to use a sun shade for the windshield. I'll be out with just some buddies so am not worried about prying eyes, and where I camp theres no lights. A buddy who camps in a old VW Bus uses a small propane tent heater n likes it. So 'ill probly grab one of those. I always used a smaller 2-3 man tent so Im thinking all that gear will work in the Explorer.

What kind of ideas are you looking for? I'm working on building a whole folding storage unit for the back of mine.it can fold flat when you fold the seats down.

I like the storage unit idea. Any pics? Wont have to shove everything in front seats while sleaping. Im thinking store clothes n it and kitchen stuff like pan, coffee pot, plates, utensils, cups n such. Now I use a large tupperware container with lid I can slide under the explorer.

My suggestion is to look into a roof top tent (RTT). I don't have an explorer anymore (it's on my F-150), but if you get one of those you can build a storage unit in the back cargo area. You won't have to worry about making a sleeping area in there and you could build it so you're rear seats are usable.

Here is a 4Runner but it's just for an idea. Drawers for storage, fridge, power tank etc...

1038161644_HRTHg-XL.jpg

1038160562_UrkVq-XL.jpg

TITAN_TENT1.jpg

Dont want to do a roof top tent cuz 1 its still a tent and 2 they are expensive. I think some sort up under bed storage while sleeping in the EX plus my sealable tupperware container plus a cooler should be good enough for me. And theres enough room for 1 more "close" friend. :p:

A futon matress fits nicely.

if you are camping in the middle of nowhere, dont forget the toilet paper and shovel. instead of building storage units that take up space inside, since you plan on getting a roof rack, why dont you just buy a couple action packers, fill them up and throw them on the roof basket? those things are water proof, sturdy as hell, and they are relatively cheap. also, make sure you bring more than one flash light, and a power inverter is always a good idea. im planning on camping up in tahoe without a tent as well. just the sport trac, a camper shell, the gf and the dog! goodluck. oh yeah, some sort of strap would be good protection too if you really are going to be in the middle of nowhere, id rather be caught with than caught without you know what i mean?

I've pondered this myself.... if I had a interior light override switch (so the hatch won't turn on the interior lights) I'd thought of using a large tarp - magnet it over the rear of the truck with the hatch up, and stake the other end of the tarp to the ground.

...That's easy..

...You can close the hatch latch on the drivers side by hand and it will turn the lights out...Just remember to turn the handle to open the latch back up before you try to close the latch...;)

I like the storage unit idea. Any pics? Wont have to shove everything in front seats while sleaping. Im thinking store clothes n it and kitchen stuff like pan, coffee pot, plates, utensils, cups n such. Now I use a large tupperware container with lid I can slide under the explorer.

yeah i have the plans with dimensions and everything that i'll post for you. not really sure how to do so but i'll figure it out tonight...lol

...That's easy..

...You can close the hatch latch on the drivers side by hand and it will turn the lights out...Just remember to turn the handle to open the latch back up before you try to close the latch...;)

You're a wealth of info Tbars, thanks.

That puts me in mind to daisy in a little rocker switch by that latch in the panel - or check out the wire color and put override switch by the factory jack...

hmmmm...... (gears are turning - ignore the grinding sounds).... it would be extra wire, but the little storage pocket on the passenger side by the hatch would be a good place to slip in a panel with interior light kill, a little 120v inverter, and a few cig lighter sockets for cell charging and whatnots. maybe including a little led light switch to run a couple small lights around the ceiling for reading and stuff. factory interior lights are more battery drain than I like, plus theyre bright enough to kill your night vision..

sorry for the ramble. heh

I've pondered this myself.... if I had a interior light override switch (so the hatch won't turn on the interior lights) I'd thought of using a large tarp - magnet it over the rear of the truck with the hatch up, and stake the other end of the tarp to the ground.

I can't remember if my 92 does it but on my '00 Mounty all I had to do was rotate the dimmer switch all the way down and it would click past the lowest setting and voila - no interior lights.

That's how I could keep the hatch open while fishing without having to worry about the lights staying on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always have my 4x4 recovery gear with me (straps, clevis, small shovel, small axe). I like those action packers. I have a couple similar containers but are cheaper, flimsy walmart tupperware type. Those things look good. Says REI carry's them so even if I find a better price I can go to a store n see 'em up close. Kick the tires ya know. I like being able to seal stuff and get it off the ground. I usually take a LED flash light, a light that looks like a mini coleman lantern, and I just got a new coleman lantern thats actually a battery powered LED unit. I'll keep an eye out for a futon; my last camping trip first night was spent on the ground since my air mattress had a leak. Luckily that trip I was still close to civilization so I made a run to Target for a new air mattress.

Back